HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Yes, but if FLA finishes 17th, they get to keep their pick and transfer their 26 first to CGY instead, which would mean CGY would have to give their 25 top 1 protected pick to MTL.
If FLA finishes 17th, their pick transfer to CGY, if the 2 picks are outside the top10, the Habs get the better of the 2. If CGY is inside the top10, the Habs gets FLA's pick, which in this case would mean the 17th pick.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Let's see the exact verbiage for the CGY-Habs trade from CapFriendly, because none of those screenshot talk about that.

Since CapFriendly is dead.

No mentions of 'top-16' anywhere, but 'top-10' a couple times, so it's a given.

Also, explained by a CGY fan I found on Reddit.

"If Calgary’s pick is in the top 10, Montreal gets Florida’s as long as their’s isn’t in the top 10.

If the above happens AND Florida’s pick is in the top 10, Montreal now gets our 2025 pick unless it’s 1st overall (we also get Florida’s unprotected 2026 1st in this case)

If the above happens AND our pick was 1st overall, then they get the better of ours or Florida’s 2026 1st with no protections instead.

Re-stated simpler, if our pick is top 10 and Florida’s isn’t, they get Floridas. If our pick is top 10 and so is Florida’s, they get ours unless it’s the 1st overall. If Florida’s pick is top 10 and ours is 1st overall, they get the better 2026 1st instead between us and Florida."

Next.

Reactions: bcv

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Yeah but capfiendly also said that to be a 2026 pick both Florida's pick and Calgary's pick had to be top 10 which would indicate that the Florida's pick has to be able to win the lotteryd i.e. it nees to be able to win the 1st overall. If it was just making the playoffs then it would just says that lottery protected is used probably in case the lottery changes before the pick is awarded.

I did some research a while ago about what lottery protected meant and there was no clear consensus about the subject. Many trusted sources were disagreeing about what it means.

For what it's worth here's what Copilot says "A lottery-protected pick in the NHL refers to a draft pick that is safeguarded based on its position in the draft order. Specifically, if a team’s pick falls within the top 10 selections, it remains with the original team and does not transfer.".

This is what google AI says : "So a lottery-protected pick is basically saying “if the draft pick included in the trade is high enough to be a lottery candidate for #1 overall, that pick is removed from the trade and replaced with a pick in a future season.”.

Both Copilot and Google IA seems to indicate it would be top 10 protected.
We will need Hughes to clear this up, because I dont see the need to specify lottery protected for top 10 when other trades just say top 10 protect directly.

If FLA finishes 17th, their pick transfer to CGY, if the 2 picks are outside the top10, the Habs get the better of the 2. If CGY is inside the top10, the Habs gets FLA's pick, which in this case would mean the 17th pick.
How can MTL receive a top 10 FLA pick if it is already top 10 protected from the Tkachuk trade?

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Yes, but if FLA finishes 17th, they get to keep their pick and transfer their 26 first to CGY instead, which would mean CGY would have to give their 25 top 1 protected pick to MTL.
That can’t be right can it? I’ve seen 0 source claiming it’s top 16 protected and a lot of sources saying top 10. Nobody has access to the exact trade contract so you don’t know how it’s worded. If everybody claims top 10, it’s top 10.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
We will need Hughes to clear this up, because I dont see the need to specify lottery protected for top 10 when other trades just say top 10 protect directly.

How can MTL receive a top 10 FLA pick if it is already top 10 protected from the Tkachuk trade?
Where the f*** did I mention a top 10 FLA pick?

Just drop it dude, you're wrong. Lick your wounds and move on, everyone will forget about it in about 30 seconds, no need to die on that hill.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Since CapFriendly is dead.

No mentions of 'top-16' anywhere, but 'top-10' a couple times, so it's a given.

Also, explained by a CGY fan I found on Reddit.

"If Calgary’s pick is in the top 10, Montreal gets Florida’s as long as their’s isn’t in the top 10.

If the above happens AND Florida’s pick is in the top 10, Montreal now gets our 2025 pick unless it’s 1st overall (we also get Florida’s unprotected 2026 1st in this case)

If the above happens AND our pick was 1st overall, then they get the better of ours or Florida’s 2026 1st with no protections instead.

Re-stated simpler, if our pick is top 10 and Florida’s isn’t, they get Floridas. If our pick is top 10 and so is Florida’s, they get ours unless it’s the 1st overall. If Florida’s pick is top 10 and ours is 1st overall, they get the better 2026 1st instead between us and Florida."

Next.
Doesnt make sense since if FLAs pick ends in the top 10, they get to keep it since its top 10 or 16 protect based on the conditions in the Tkachuk trade.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It likely won't matter. The East is way too weak imo to even consider the panthers missing the playoffs, so the whole thing will likely be moot as fans in this thread are already mixing two things up with the lottery protected talk.

Some are mixing it up because the Flames did bake top 10 protection into their pick. But the other mix up is the conditions on the Panthers Tkachuk trade, as capfriendly just says lottery protected for that pick that the panthers are due to send to the flames at the end of next season.

EVERYTHING about this trade starts with one question,

DID THE FLAMES GET THE PANTHERS 1ST?

Nothing happens until we know that answer. To complicate things even more, as far as I know, you can trade conditional picks in the NHL, so I do wonder if the Panthers are say going for another title, would they trade the '25 1st and then that pushes their trade with Flames to a '26 1st and then shit gets crazy.

But for now the easy thing to do is just not pay any attention to this and accept the fact that we are likely going to end up with a pick in the mid 20's or so. Granted we'll see how it unfolds but for now I just don't see the point in thinking that the panthers would miss the playoffs after we just watched how many bad teams there are in the NHL.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

The Tkachuk trade happened in 2022 for a pick in 2025. It's possible the lottery parameters change in between the trade and the draft.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
It likely won't matter. The East is way too weak imo to even consider the panthers missing the playoffs, so the whole thing will likely be moot as fans in this thread are already mixing two things up with the lottery protected talk.

Some are mixing it up because the Flames did bake top 10 protection into their pick. But the other mix up is the conditions on the Panthers Tkachuk trade, as capfriendly just says lottery protected for that pick that the panthers are due to send to the flames at the end of next season.

Nothing happens until we know that answer. To complicate things even more, as far as I know, you can trade conditional picks in the NHL, so I do wonder if the Panthers are say going for another title, would they trade the '25 1st and then that pushes their trade with Flames to a '26 1st and then shit gets crazy.

But for now the easy thing to do is just not pay any attention to this and accept the fact that we are likely going to end up with a pick in the mid 20's or so. Granted we'll see how it unfolds but for now I just don't see the point in thinking that the panthers would miss the playoffs after we just watched how many bad teams there are in the NHL.
If CGY ends up 11th, the FLA pick doesn't matter (because they won't be picking top10 this year).

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I agree that people focus too much on the Panthers pick. If Calgary draft 11th then we are almost sure to get a relatively high pick. We just have to root for Calgary next season ;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If CGY ends up 11th, the FLA pick doesn't matter (because they won't be picking top10 this year).

For our trade the only thing that matters first is did the Flames get the Panthers pick in '25? Until we know that answer, where any of them end up is moot.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
For our trade the only thing that matters first is did the Flames get the Panthers pick in '25? Until we know that answer, where any of them end up is moot.
Not at all, it only matters if CGY's pick is top10.

Reactions: montreal

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023

Can you imagine the chaos if Hughes trades for that FLA first in 25? Maybe something like Savard 50% for that pick? Then they are forced to give the 26 one to CGY anf we get CGYs top 1 protected first haha. I hope Hughes is considering the idea

Not at all, it only matters if CGY's pick is top10.
You clearly misread the conditions attached to the trade AND the Tkachuk one.

Reactions: montreal

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Can you imagine the chaos if Hughes trades for that FLA first in 25? Maybe something like Savard 50% for that pick? Then they are forced to give the 26 one to CGY anf we get CGYs top 1 protected first haha. I hope Hughes is considering the idea
They can't trade that pick.

Reactions: LynnLoins

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You clearly misread the conditions attached to the trade AND the Tkachuk one.
He did not. If Calgary's pick is not top 10 then we get the better of Florida and Calgary's pick (if Calgary get the Florida's pick) which means it will be Calgary's pick no matter what unless Calgary draft like 24th ish which will not hapen. The important part is will Calgary pick top 10 or not. If they pick top 10 then the Florida's pick matters.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
He did not. If Calgary's pick is not top 10 then we get the better of Florida and Calgary's pick (if Calgary get the Florida's pick) which means it will be Calgary's pick no matter what.
No, because he thinks that CGY received the fla pick no matter what, whih isnt true. Its top 16 protect

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
No, because he thinks that CGY received the fla pick no matter what, whih isnt true. Its top 16 protect
Again it doest not matter if Calgary picks outside the top 10. Anyone who believes Calgary wont draft higher than Florida should be ignored because that person is out of touch with reality. Florida will make the playoffs i'm puzzled anyone would put them outside the playoffs with how weak the Metropolitan is going to be.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Again it doest not matter if Calgary picks outside the top 10. Anyone who believes Calgary wont draft higher than Florida should be ignored because that person is out of touch with reality. Florida will make the playoffs i'm puzzled anyone would put them outside the playoffs with how weak the Metropolitan is going to be.
Nothing is impossible. Do you remember in 2023 when FLA nearly missed the playoffs after everyone kept saying theyd finish 25+?

Their team is weaker than it was last year and theyve played A LOT of hockey in the last two years. And look at their D; they just need one of Ekblad (almost a given at this point) or the swede to be injured and that defense becomes bottom 5 if not the worst in the league.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I've seen way more sources and references to the trade that the Florida pick is top 10 protected in the Tkachuk trade. But yes, it's unlikely it matters because Florida is most likely not missing the playoffs.. what will matter is Calgary being good enough to not pick in the top 10.

• Love
Reactions: montreal and LaP

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
This might be an easier way to say this,

Flames pick is top 10 protected
Panthers pick going to flames is top 16 protected
On puckpedia, for the 2025 FLA pick.

CONDITIONS
If 2024 conditional 1st Round Pick owned by Philadelphia moves to 2025, this pick moves to 2026. If this pick is top 10, Calgary receives 2026 1st Round Pick

Edit: saw @BoneHutson screenshots above, ok, seems like their is sources on both side so let’s wait and see! It’s quite important because finishing 9th in the east is not impossible for Florida. It can mean 96/98 points some season….

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I've seen way more sources and references to the trade that the Florida pick is top 10 protected in the Tkachuk trade. But yes, it's unlikely it matters because Florida is most likely not missing the playoffs.. what will matter is Calgary being good enough to not pick in the top 10.

I’m going with this and you get the quote since your the last reply! Calgary to be pushed out to the 11th pick either by lottery teams moving a head of them by winning the lottery or just having the flames finish 22nd in the league which grants them that pick. I’m not sold yet on the Habs finishing in the bottom 5, but only because as I said before not signing Stamkos, I’m ok with disappointment, I deal with it well.

Having a 5th pick and an 11th pick would be something to end our rebuilding!

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Your basic reading comprehension is lacking, or you're being purposely optuse. I'm not wasting any more time repeating the same thing to you. In fact, no point exchanging anything with you since you can't comprehend what you read.

Goodbye

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad