News: Flames file for club-elected arbitration with Matthew Tkachuk

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It’s pretty well known Tkachuk is either going to go to St. Louis or Ottawa. Hockey is going the way of the NBA. There is very little loyalty from players to their team or their fans. It is what it is. Just a sign of the times. Same with PLD is going to go to the Habs as soon as he is able be it trade or free agency.
Well his brother signed a 7 year deal with the Senators.

Reactions: Blueston

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Why would they want to avoid an offer sheet? Seems to me If he’s hesitant to sign long term in Calgary, an offer sheet could be a way for Calgary to keep him. If he sings an offer sheet for any type of term, Calgary can just match it.
A 1 year offer sheet would have been the nightmare scenario for CGY because you can't trade a player for 1 calendar year after matching the OS.

Heck, even 2 years would have been problematic considering how the off-season calendar year works in the NHL (few trades after July 3rd in a normal off-season, which 2023 will be).

Reactions: Off Sides

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I feel bad for Flames fans. Just a few years ago they were an exciting up and coming team, but they've taken some body blows. First Giordano got old, then Monahan fell apart, then Johnny Hockey leaves and now it looks like Tkachuk may leave in a year.

MERCY!

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Why would they want to avoid an offer sheet? Seems to me If he’s hesitant to sign long term in Calgary, an offer sheet could be a way for Calgary to keep him. If he sings an offer sheet for any type of term, Calgary can just match it.
Unless it would have become a lose/lose choice, something like 4 first round picks versus matching, and if they do not match the fans and/or owner hates it. If they do match they have a player who does not want to be there who they can not trade for 4 1st round picks or equivalent.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Man Calgary really just gets close to "making it" but never does. Right when you step back and say "okay this is good" the following off season it all goes to hell. I do not blame Tkachuk for wanting out with Gaudreau gone Calgary is not really a place I would want to be wasting my time either.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
A 1 year offer sheet would have been the nightmare scenario for CGY because you can't trade a player for 1 calendar year after matching the OS.

Heck, even 2 years would have been problematic considering how the off-season calendar year works in the NHL (few trades after July 3rd in a normal off-season, which 2023 will be).
I wasn’t aware of that. I guess that makes some sense then. But I also don’t see why a team would give him a 1 year offer sheet either. Give up multiple 1sts for only one guaranteed year of tkachuk, especially knowing how tough his family is in negotiations? It would be a huge risk.

Calgary is in a tough spot here.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Do arbitrator awards have ntc attached? Or is it pure salary with no tags protection? If no ntc, then it keeps things moving so flames don't have their hands full with one contract that they can't deal with the other RFA contact? It's clear if he's long term or going to be shopped by a specific deadline. It then also it makes it easier to move MT if he's walking anyways vs a base QO type offer that has trade protection?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Tough being a Flames fan sometimes. We should absolutely be rebuilding but instead we will go back to finishing between 6th and 10th.

I think your right. Flames still have a lot of valuable trade pieces. Tough being a fan of any Canadian team as there’s definitely some retaining player issues, attracting certain players issues, media, living in a fishbowl. Just doesn’t appeal to lots of players.

The best way for any Canadian club is long term build by draft approach but no Canadian market wants to commit to rebuilds and when they are in them they always want to rush them.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I feel bad for Flames fans. Just a few years ago they were an exciting up and coming team, but they've taken some body blows. First Giordano got old, then Monahan fell apart, then Johnny Hockey leaves and now it looks like Tkachuk may leave in a year.

MERCY!
They have some decent prospects coming up and a good coach, should have blown it up last season and now it’s too late. They will lose a bunch of value but still be okay

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think your right. Flames still have a lot of valuable trade pieces. Tough being a fan of any Canadian team as there’s definitely some retaining player issues, attracting certain players issues, media, living in a fishbowl. Just doesn’t appeal to lots of players.

The best way for any Canadian club is long term build by draft approach but no Canadian market wants to commit to rebuilds and when they are in them they always want to rush them.
Agreed. It is soooo much harder being a GM in Canada. It's why all the Canadian GMs look dumb at times. Treliving and Dubas have both done fine jobs. They are just severely handicapped circumstantially. Chevy has been good too.

The only way to win a cup in the draft is to be ruthless with asset management and have players hitting their stride at the same time. It's brutally tough.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They have some decent prospects coming up and a good coach, should have blown it up last season and now it’s too late. They will lose a bunch of value but still be okay
I don't think our prospect pool is that great. We have some middle six forwards coming and a legit goalie prospect. Mackey is probably the only sure NHLer on the back end and he tops out as a 4. We don't have any top line forward prospects or top pairing blueliners coming.

We do have a lot of cap efficient players who could bring a great return. Lindholm has one of the best contracts in the league. But those players will only bring a return if we commit to a rebuild. I have zero faith this organization would commit to that.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Do arbitrator awards have ntc attached? Or is it pure salary with no tags protection? If no ntc, then it keeps things moving so flames don't have their hands full with one contract that they can't deal with the other RFA contact? It's clear if he's long term or going to be shopped by a specific deadline. It then also it makes it easier to move MT if he's walking anyways vs a base QO type offer that has trade protection?
There are no clauses within arbitration rulings, as an RFAs can not have clauses, UFA years can, yet they can not award those.

Reactions: Fig

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My bet is he’s traded to Ottawa for a 1st + Batherson + Docker for MT if he agrees to a long term contract like the Stone deal (not cap hit wise - I mean instantly signed after being moved)

Batherson off sets some of the needed cap. Dealing now the get MT a year earlier than they otherwise could. They also remove St.Louis, Det or whomever tries throwing their hat in the ring.
Would never do this from a sens perspective. 0 chance Bathersons contract is one of the best in the league. He was the teams best player last year playing at a 90 point pace before Aaron Dell cheap shotted him. Ottawa adds two firsts? Hell no.

In a year maybe they trade Debrincat for him but that would only happen if he agreed to an extension first.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Player can choose term. So if he takes a 1 year term isn’t he just a UFA after this season? Or does he need another year before he reaches UFA? If it’s next year the Flames not only just put a one year lifespan on their best player, but they also demolished his trade value by making him a rental.
Not if they get a trade done before arbitration date and the new teams signs an extension.

I do wonder if he is traded if the new team has to follow through with the club arb process or can they rescind it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad