News: Flames file for club-elected arbitration with Matthew Tkachuk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This whole situation is a little strange/problematic for Calgary...

He has a $9.5m qualifier, that he simply could have accepted to go to UFA at 25 years old. He didn't, so now take him to arbitration in hopes of getting that reduced by 15%...

But... he just scored 40 goals, 104 points, and was a +57. I'm not so sure he's taking a paycut in arbitration.

I'd love to by a fly on the wall in Tkachuk's camp to understand what his actual goal is... trying to force a trade??

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Seriously question if his preference is to get to the blues or sens? Play in his hometown or go play with his brother for multiple years? Brady isn't leaving Ottawa so who knows

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Seriously question if his preference is to get to the blues or sens? Play in his hometown or go play with his brother for multiple years? Brady isn't leaving Ottawa so who knows
My guess is his first choice would be St. Louis.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
An offer sheet might have actually been the best trade return they'll get since it would have likely come from a non-contender so now he's essentially a 1 year rental hurting his trade value or he walks as a UFA in one year since it seems pretty unlikely that a long term deal can be worked out at this point. What a mess

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Irrelevant, whether Matthew filed for arbitration or the club did the max term the arbitration could give was 1 year since this is his final year of restricted free agency.
It’s pretty well known Tkachuk is either going to go to St. Louis or Ottawa. Hockey is going the way of the NBA. There is very little loyalty from players to their team or their fans. It is what it is. Just a sign of the times. Same with PLD is going to go to the Habs as soon as he is able be it trade or free agency.
It would be pretty awesome to play with your brother.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Some of the takes saying that Canadian cities are not well regarded are truly asinine. Brady Tkachuk, Quinn Hughes and Brock Boeser are just a few recent contracts signed by American born players to play in Canada long term.

How about it is mostly about the players and their personal wants/needs?...lol. To assign a general consensus regarding all or most players and a country as large and diverse as Canada is just plain stupid. 👍

Reactions: PuckG

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
You mean they’re actually exercising their contractual rights?
Can’t take it any way unless you explain what you’re talking about.

Owners mostly show no loyalty to players and make decisions with nothing but their own bottom line in mind. Big name players are increasingly starting to navigate their careers in ways that benefit themselves whichever team drafted them. People tend to criticize players for seeking the best opportunities for themselves, but I don't see how players are supposed to be loyal to the teams that keep locking them out. Players can't be expected to pay back part of their contracts to the owners in escrow and not be selfish about their own careers. I was vague because some people hate players doing what they determine is best for them, but I say good for them.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Some of the takes saying that Canadian cities are not well regarded are truly asinine. Brady Tkachuk, Quinn Hughes and Brock Boeser are just a few recent contracts signed by American born players to play in Canada long term.

How about it is mostly about the players and their personal wants/needs?...lol. To assign a general consensus regarding all or most players and a country as large and diverse as Canada is just plain stupid. 👍
Well in the player poll every Canadian team was bottom half of the league for desirability. According to Lebrun more than 40% of players won't even consider signing here. Saying you signed guys coming out of ELC isn't exactly a sign of them wanting to be here. Especially when you paid 6.65M for a guy who hasn't hit 25 goals in 3 seasons and is useless other than goal scoring. Boeser=Hoffman. Hughes gave you 1 UFA year.

I actually agree with you but you need to lock this guy down.
How do we do that exactly when he doesn't want to play here? I mean I'm sure he would if we gave him 11.5, but that would be dumb.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It's not stupidity, its sports economics within a collectively bargained system that compromises vastly different markets spanning two different countries.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
If I am Jersey I am offer sheeting him.
$9.5 that would be two first a second and third. Typical player they need and I am willing to bet they make the playoffs next year with him and with the addition of young players those two picks aren't that relevant considering what they also have int he pipeline.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If I am Jersey I am offer sheeting him.
$9.5 that would be two first a second and third. Typical player they need and I am willing to bet they make the playoffs next year with him and with the addition of young players those two picks aren't that relevant considering what they also have int he pipeline.
I'd trade him for that and you could be sure of landing him. No need to offer sheet. I'd do it straight up.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Well in the player poll every Canadian team was bottom half of the league for desirability. According to Lebrun more than 40% of players won't even consider signing here. Saying you signed guys coming out of ELC isn't exactly a sign of them wanting to be here. Especially when you paid 6.65M for a guy who hasn't hit 25 goals in 3 seasons and is useless other than goal scoring. Boeser=Hoffman. Hughes gave you 1 UFA year.

How do we do that exactly when he doesn't want to play here? I mean I'm sure he would if we gave him 11.5, but that would be dumb.
You don't know that. Maybe he just wants to be paid fairly.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Owners mostly show no loyalty to players and make decisions with nothing but their own bottom line in mind. Big name players are increasingly starting to navigate their careers in ways that benefit themselves whichever team drafted them. People tend to criticize players for seeking the best opportunities for themselves, but I don't see how players are supposed to be loyal to the teams that keep locking them out. Players can't be expected to pay back part of their contracts to the owners in escrow and not be selfish about their own careers. I was vague because some people hate players doing what they determine is best for them, but I say good for them.
The only loyalty a player has to have is until they have UFA rights. It’s the one time a player gets to actually choose what they will do with their career and life in hockey.

Did the player show up and compete during the years he had no right to choose where they play?

If yes…then he honored his commitment and was loyal as hell.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm not at all sure if Flames are allowed to trade him now that they filed for club-elected arbitration. The wording in the CBA are hazy, but as the protocol goes, after the award is awarded, the team and the player promptly sign an SPC. I assume trading Tkatchuk is currently prohibited.

Flames would probably have to do it as a sign&trade where specifically the Flames have to sign him for whatever SPC so that they get the arbitration proceedings voided before trading him to a new team.

Maybe Flames told him to try and negotiate a long-term SPC with some other team, so Flames can have long-term signed Tkachuk to trade instead of pending UFA Tkatchuk. The former will fetch a nicer price.

There are no restrictions on trading a player before or after salary arbitration is filed and resolved.

Reactions: Lempo and Off Sides

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
The only loyalty a player has to have is until they have UFA rights. It’s the one time a player gets to actually choose what they will do with their career and life in hockey.

Did the player show up and compete during the years he had no right to choose where they play?

If yes…then he honored his commitment and was loyal as hell.
I agree. My point is that more players should do this if they don't like their situation. Why be loyal to an entity that isn't loyal to you when there are better opportunities?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad