Claimed off Waivers: [FLA] Panthers claim Jonas Johansson off waivers from Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Not sure why Florida of all teams did this. I don't think they will keep knight down for long, so JJ likely goes back to Colorado (eagles) in a couple of weeks.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not sure why Florida of all teams did this. I don't think they will keep knight down for long, so JJ likely goes back to Colorado (eagles) in a couple of weeks.

Florida only had three goalies under contract, so it could purely just be an insurance thing in case there's an injury or somebody ends up in Covid protocol.

Colorado has five goalies without Johansson, so it's possible they're content with letting the young guys get the AHL time.

Reactions: violaswallet

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Florida only had three goalies under contract, so it could purely just be an insurance thing in case there's an injury or somebody ends up in Covid protocol.

Colorado has five goalies without Johansson, so it's possible they're content with letting the young guys get the AHL time.

Miska isn't even ECHL quality, he hardly counts.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
For sure, it's been a weird 2 team dynamic for FLA and SEA this year.
Happy when they move on and we can both ice our own prospects.

Our beat writer hinting this may push Knight down which is good imo, he's not gonna play a lot if Bob is playing like his Vez years the majority of the time.

And its an easy call up for Knight if we have an injury. 3rd string depth is never a bad thing.
yeah Knight needs a few more years in the A before they pull him up. he's been shaky

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
yeah Knight needs a few more years in the A before they pull him up. he's been shaky

6 of his 12 starts have been phenomenal, the other 6 though...

Think it'll be good for him to see more games and get in rhythm if he's sent down.
The rest of this year at least.
Reevaluate each month I guess, if he's hot again, bring him up for a couple more games. They can take multiple approaches to it. Knight knows the #1G is blocked for next 2 years.
After that, the door is open.

Bob will likely play 60-65 games this year. Doubtful he gets the nod for team Russia so he can rest a bit in February.
Russia may go Vasi and Igor with a vet guy like Varlamov.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He was AWFUL against Toronto I mean the Avs defense wasn't good either but holy shit that might be the worst goalie performance I have seen in the last 5 years and keep in mind that covers Toskala, Bernier, Sparks, Hutchinson, Raycroft etc.

When Engvall is going sniper mode on you you aren't NHL caliber

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Cheap, mostly. In Buffalo the majority opinion was that he was maxed out as an organizational #3. Might not look horrific if needed for a game or two here or there due to emergency, but he's not really a true NHL-caliber backup.

Yeah if he's Buffalos 3rd option then he's not NHL caliber.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
My understanding is that Dubnyk is trying to get some meaningful playing time ahead of the Spengler Cup and that signing with Charlotte was not really about playing in the AHL and more about conditioning and prep for Switzerland. I could be totally off, but I read this in my travels.
And with NHL players going to the Olympics so uncertain Spengler Cup participation could be a big deal

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
There is a short supply of NHL goaltenders. Teams need an adequate 3rd option, especially with covid.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013

I don't think Colorado is that loyal to him. He hasn't exactly played that well. Sakic's probably just like "hmm, okay. I guess i'll find somebody else."

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
But why?

He is not NHL level goalie, shocking how many games he has played this season
and the fact that he has 30 games in the NHL, is even more so.
I'd guess to give Knight more games in the AHL? We have just one B2B until mid-January; Bob can take care of most games while Johansson is warming the bench for the Panthers.
It's not like we have a good n.3 - Gibson has been extremely underwhelming. If Johansson somehow looks good, we may keep him and keep Knight in the AHL to give him a proper workload; otherwise he's back to waivers in a month.
No risk, low- to medium-reward move.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Johansson will give Panther shooters a lot of confidence during practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad