Proposal: FLA - MTL during the season; FLA - PIT - OTT after the season (text wall warning)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The first trade has a 1st going to MTL

This is the 2nd trade below...essentially dumping Montour's deal for two late picks from MIN and PIT

THREE-WAY TRADE IN THE OFF-SEASON
FLA receives: a late round pick from each of PIT and OTT
PIT receives: Montour
OTT receives: Zucker

Yeah, but from Pittsburgh's view, we get Montour and we give up Zucker + 1st. That is a hard, HARD no.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins aren't in a cap crunch and Montour sucks, so pass on that. They're not thin on the right side.

Zucker is kinda blah overall but he's not even remotely some sort of detriment.

Reactions: violaswallet

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Florida needs another shutdown defenseman, a top 4 guy like Graves or Gavrikov if another 1st is moved.

this. Zito didn’t let Hoffman walk just to move all that to bring him back. The is missing a puck mover more than it’s missing a puck cannon. Ek can do that.

Edit: also, I don’t get people bringing up Horny possibly being moved, it’s not going to happen imo. Guy has massively helped change this team’s mindset and continues to do so every game. Zito is very crafty, he’s moved several problem contracts while also adding to the team. He’ll figure it out without having to move key pieces.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No thanks and probably no can do from a Pens perspective.

The probable No Can Do is that Zucker has a ten team no-trade list and given that a) it's always been said he'll mainly use it to stick near his step-kids where there's complicated custody stuff, which means being in the US and not Canada and b) he'll want a good team for his contract year and Ottawa are a bad team who are strong on LW, I don't think he'd agree to it.

The No Thanks is I don't see any point to Montour here to be a 3.5m 3rd pairing guy who replicates our current strengths and probably wouldn't pair great with our current stable of LDs.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ideally, I would prefer not to retain on Hoffman. We could probably do this deal and take on Hornqvist cap hit while also moving Lehkonen in the deal (which we could retain 50%) since his deal is up at the end of the year

Habs shouldn't care about retaining a mil for term if its a good deal. And the first is a good start. Tippett also makes a lot of sense for a rebuild/retool. Gildon probably doesn't have much value at the moment (guys like him typically hit the waiver wire a few times a season). If Florida fans want him out of the deal I wouldn't care in the slightest. Vatrano can probably flipped for something small at the deadline too, but I wouldn't really care if he was part of the deal either.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
this. Zito didn’t let Hoffman walk just to move all that to bring him back. The is missing a puck mover more than it’s missing a puck cannon. Ek can do that.

Edit: also, I don’t get people bringing up Horny possibly being moved, it’s not going to happen imo. Guy has massively helped change this team’s mindset and continues to do so every game. Zito is very crafty, he’s moved several problem contracts while also adding to the team. He’ll figure it out without having to move key pieces.
We currently have 4.6 mill to sign six players for 13F, 7D, 2G - essentially, every new/re-signed player would have to be signed at league minimum. More realistically, at least a couple will demand 1 mill or more. We should actually be happy with Tippett's middling play - as long as we believe it's just a down year, then it's perfect for us because it will keep his cap hit down. So let's say we're keeping Hornqvist and moving somebody else - what are the guys with some cap (2 mil or more) to make up the difference?

Forwards group: Barkov, Huberdeau, Reinhart, Bennett, Duclair, Verhaeghe. Obviously Barkov's a NO, we just acquired Reinhart, and all of Huby, Duke, Bennett and Verhaeghe are on very team-friendly contracts. Which of these guys are we moving to make room for Hornqvist again?

On defence: Ekblad, Weegar, Forsling, Montour, Gudas. Ekblad and Weegar are a clear NO. The other three could be an option, but they're signed at 2.5, 2.7 and 3.5 mil respectively - can you really find a cheaper replacement that's not a downgrade?

Goalie: LOL good luck moving Bob's contract.

I don't see many options if you keep Hornqvist. The other forwards IMO make no sense. At defense, I guess one of Montour/Gudas/Forsling would be an option, but are you going to find a cheaper guy without making the D worse? If anything, we should be trying to upgrade, and that would require more cap space which we don't have.

If one of our D prospects in Charlotte looked really good this year, I could see it (spoiler: they don't at this point). We could also have the cap space if Huby says he's not re-signing and we're moving him a year early, but that's a let's-hope-not scenario.

I'm not saying we *have*to move Hornqvist at any cost, but we will be in cap hell next year and he is a fourth line #character guy making 5.3 mil with just one year left. If you're looking at how to clear some cap space, he is the logical choice.

Reactions: JP Mick

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We currently have 4.6 mill to sign six players for 13F, 7D, 2G - essentially, every new/re-signed player would have to be signed at league minimum. More realistically, at least a couple will demand 1 mill or more. We should actually be happy with Tippett's middling play - as long as we believe it's just a down year, then it's perfect for us because it will keep his cap hit down. So let's say we're keeping Hornqvist and moving somebody else - what are the guys with some cap (2 mil or more) to make up the difference?

Forwards group: Barkov, Huberdeau, Reinhart, Bennett, Duclair, Verhaeghe. Obviously Barkov's a NO, we just acquired Reinhart, and all of Huby, Duke, Bennett and Verhaeghe are on very team-friendly contracts. Which of these guys are we moving to make room for Hornqvist again?

On defence: Ekblad, Weegar, Forsling, Montour, Gudas. Ekblad and Weegar are a clear NO. The other three could be an option, but they're signed at 2.5, 2.7 and 3.5 mil respectively - can you really find a cheaper replacement that's not a downgrade?

I don't see many options if you keep Hornqvist. The other forwards IMO make no sense. At defense, I guess one of Montour/Gudas/Forsling would be an option, but are you going to find a cheaper guy without making the D worse? If anything, we should be trying to upgrade, and that would require more cap space which we don't have.

If one of our D prospects in Charlotte looked really good this year, I could see it (spoiler: they don't at this point). We could also have the cap space if Huby says he's not re-signing and we're moving him a year early, but that's a let's-hope-not scenario.

I'm not saying we *have*to move Hornqvist at any cost, but we will be in cap hell next year and he is a fourth line #character guy making 5.3 mil with just one year left. If you're looking at how to clear some cap space, he is the logical choice.

Nice post LGC!!

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
This trade works for me provided Hoffman's ok with it (since we just signed him). It's usually pretty taboo to trade recently signed UFAs in the first year of their contract
it is indeed . seems to be a difficult point to get across though .

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

all of this. Hornqvist is the obvious choice to get traded.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
We can agree to disagree on Hoffman. I think he could be a 25+ goal scorer for us again, and I'd expect he and Lundell to score 5v5. And I think the PP is really missing a half-wall sniper. Ekblad can theoretically plan there, but idk how likely we are to keep Barkov at the top of the umbrella long-term. That also means we still only have the one one-timer threat.

I can't abide that assessment of our D though. Montour has been awful in his own zone this year. He leads the team in penalties taken, and he's always out of position. For a guy who is supposed to be a dynamic offensive guy, he has a garbage first pass/stretch pass. He's our second highest paid d-man, and he's our 5D at best. I fully trust Forsling as our number one LHD, and I have no problem with running Carlsson and Juolevi as the junior partners for Weegar and Gudas in the bottom 4. And keep in mind, if we aren't satisfied with either of those two on the middle pair, we can always just return to a top 4 of Weegar - Ekblad, Forsling - Gudas, and then find a plug for the bottom pair RD.

That's the EXACT reason Pittsburgh would have nothing to do with that second deal. We already helped y'all with Matheson. JR ain't here no more. Go talk to Vancouver!

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
The first trade has a 1st going to MTL

This is the 2nd trade below...essentially dumping Montour's deal for two late picks from MIN and PIT

THREE-WAY TRADE IN THE OFF-SEASON
FLA receives: a late round pick from each of PIT and OTT
PIT receives: Montour
OTT receives: Zucker
So PIT gives up a pick and a useful player for Montour? WTF?

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
all of this. Hornqvist is the obvious choice to get traded.

Nice post LGC!!

except it’s not the obvious choice. Imo it’s a terrible choice and something that needs to be worked around. Zito had a plan, and I just don’t think it involves moving Horny, who has a clause anyway.

No idea how he does it, but he’s done some terrific things before.
The flaw in the “obvious choice” logic is believing he’s a “4th line energy guy” because he’s on the 4th line. We have several top forwards and his line is clicking and has driven play lately. He’s still the best guy in front of the net and he got the others going several times.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
except it’s not the obvious choice. Imo it’s a terrible choice and something that needs to be worked around. Zito had a plan, and I just don’t think it involves moving Horny, who has a clause anyway.

No idea how he does it, but he’s done some terrific things before.
The flaw in the “obvious choice” logic is believing he’s a “4th line energy guy” because he’s on the 4th line. We have several top forwards and his line is clicking and has driven play lately. He’s still the best guy in front of the net and he got the others going several times.
Feel free to point out other money that can be shed that allows the Panthers to keep hornqvist.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Feel free to point out other money that can be shed that allows the Panthers to keep hornqvist.

I have no idea what Zito will pull of his arse to get everything done. Yandle, Matheson, Stralman and Connolly were all easy to predict.

Mira not as easy as, “Horny can go,” he’s a huge leader and he has a modified no trade.
Imo Vatrano doesn’t come back, neither does Acciari, we’ll see what else he does.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I have no idea what Zito will pull of his arse to get everything done. Yandle, Matheson, Stralman and Connolly were all easy to predict.

Mira not as easy as, “Horny can go,” he’s a huge leader and he has a modified no trade.
Imo Vatrano doesn’t come back, neither does Acciari, we’ll see what else he does.
All that is already accounted for. More money needs to be shed to replace the guys leaving.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It has to be someone. If not hornqvist, than who?

barkov. See ya Sasha.

who’s the big names we need to retain with that amount this off-season? Tippett is likely gone, Mamin won’t cost all that much, Luostairinen needs a raise but it probably won’t be a ton. But, unless I’m seeing something incorrectly who do we need to retain that brings more than Horny?

One more time…literally no idea what Zito does, I don’t really care, but I do not think Horny is the guy. If he is, so be it, but I don’t think that’s wise. Don’t really care if anyone agrees, how do you watch the games and see how much he’s helped change and just go…see ya?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean if Tippet is such a disposable piece I'd hope the Sens would just give up something for him now rather than take on Zucker in the off-season.

From a Senators perspective, it's a ton of cap locked up at the teams position of strength. Value is fine, but that's rarely the most important factor when discussing Senators trades. I'd imagine they'd prefer to use their finite resources to shore up C/RD.
Yeah if Florida is actively giving away Tippett and Vatrano the sens are interested. That first deal is so bad for Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad