Proposal: FLA - MTL during the season; FLA - PIT - OTT after the season (text wall warning)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
to FLA: Hoffman (retained down to $3.5m)
to MTL: 1st Round Pick, Vatrano, Tippett, Gildon

Why FLA does it: We need to fix our power play. It just doesn't work. Hoffman will help that, and he scored a lot of goals with us last time around. It'd be amazing to have him locked up for the next few years at that cap hit. Vatrano and Tippett are almost certainly gone this offseason, so we exchange them early. Gildon is a good prospect, but we have Carlsson and Juolevi ahead of him and Ludvig and Kiersted behind him in the LHD pipeline.
Why MTL does it: They are in for a lengthy rebuild, so they don't need Hoffman or that extra $1m in cap space. The PIT - MN trade for Zucker a few years ago are a really good comparable.Top 6 winger Zucker had over three years left on his contract at $5.5m, and he went at the deadline for a 1st Round Pick, a pending UFA winger in Galchenyuk (Vatrano), and PIT's best d-prospect Addison (Gildon). The Panthers throw in Tippett because the Canadiens are in-division and retaining salary for several years. Also good for Montreal: they should get a mid-round pick in return for flipping Vatrano.

-----------------------------------------------------------

THREE-WAY TRADE IN THE OFF-SEASON
FLA receives: a late round pick from each of PIT and OTT
PIT receives: Montour
OTT receives: Zucker

Why FLA does it: The Panthers are in for a terrible cap crunch this summer, courtesy of the worst year of Yandle's buyout. Montour is expendable as a $3.5m offensive d-man buried on the bottom pair and not necessarily playing on the PP.
Why PIT does it: Pittsburgh is in for a cap crunch themselves, and they are going to struggle to retain their most important UFAs. Zucker should be expendable compared to Malkin, Letang, Rust, Rodrigues, Carter (or finding another middle 6 C to replace him). They also have a thin right side, and Montour is a Sullivan defenseman. Highly mobile, offensive guy who is capable as a PPQB. They save $2m in cap while cashing in excess winger depth for bolstering their bottom 4.
Why OTT does it: Ottawa has cap ton of cap space, and their rebuild is supposed to be over. Zucker is a pending UFA who can provide middle 6 scoring depth for a year, and they can get him for next to nothing. Would imagine they'd be interested in a speedy 20+ goal scorer as they are currently among the lowest scoring teams in the league.

----------------------------------------------------------

A final proposal is finding a cap dump partner to pull an Orpik. A few years ago, the Capitals traded Brooks Orpik and Grubauer to the Avs for a 2nd Round Pick and the understanding that the Avs would buyout Orpik's final year, allowing the Caps to immediately sign him at a reduced cap.

The Panthers would like to find a partner to do the same for Hornqvist. His buyout would be two years at $1.7m. Orpik's buyout was $2.5m then $1.5m, so we'll offer a mid-round pick or something.

Final product this offseason:

Verhaeghe - Barkov - Duclair
Huberdeau - Bennett - Reinhart
Hoffman - Lundell - Denisenko
Lomberg - Luostarinen - Hornqvist

Forsling/Carlsson - Ekblad
Carlsson/Forsling - Weegar
Juolevi - Gudas

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Florida easy no on the first deal
Why? I'm an FLA fan.

Vatrano and Tippett haven't done shit this year, and both are gonna be gone within a few months. Vatrano because he's a UFA, and Tippett because he'll ask for more than he's worth as an RFA, and we have Denisenko, Noel, and Mackie on the wings. We still have plenty of young LHD under team control, so Gildon is expendable. I'd exchange those guys plus a draft pick for two and half years of Hoffman at $3.5m. Last time he was with us, he scored 65 goals in 151 games.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Why? I'm an FLA fan.

Vatrano and Tippett haven't done shit this year, and both are gonna be gone within a few months. Vatrano because he's a UFA, and Tippett because he'll ask for more than he's worth as an RFA, and we have Denisenko, Noel, and Mackie on the wings. We still have plenty of young LHD under team control, so Gildon is expendable. I'd exchange those guys plus a draft pick for two and half years of Hoffman at $3.5m. Last time he was with us, he scored 65 goals in 151 games.
You being a fla fan means nothing. I just don’t like that first deal at all for Florida.
You like it which is fine.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Isn't Tippett still RFA after this season? What makes you think he's gone?

Also, seems like a vast overpay for a player like Hoffman...
Florida is gonna have a nasty cap crunch, and Tippett has been a massive disappointment this season. The only reason he hasn't been scratched yet is because we've had at least three forwards injured at any given time for months now. I'd be surprised if he doesn't ask for a trade this summer. And even if he doesn't, he's gonna ask for at least $2m based on his production, and he isn't worth that when we have a cap crunch and an ELC Denisenko ready to replace him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
to FLA: Hoffman (retained down to $3.5m)
to MTL: 1st Round Pick, Vatrano, Tippett, Gildon

Why FLA does it: We need to fix our power play. It just doesn't work. Hoffman will help that, and he scored a lot of goals with us last time around. It'd be amazing to have him locked up for the next few years at that cap hit. Vatrano and Tippett are almost certainly gone this offseason, so we exchange them early. Gildon is a good prospect, but we have Carlsson and Juolevi ahead of him and Ludvig and Kiersted behind him in the LHD pipeline.
Why MTL does it: They are in for a lengthy rebuild, so they don't need Hoffman or that extra $1m in cap space. The PIT - MN trade for Zucker a few years ago are a really good comparable.Top 6 winger Zucker had over three years left on his contract at $5.5m, and he went at the deadline for a 1st Round Pick, a pending UFA winger in Galchenyuk (Vatrano), and PIT's best d-prospect Addison (Gildon). The Panthers throw in Tippett because the Canadiens are in-division and retaining salary for several years. Also good for Montreal: they should get a mid-round pick in return for flipping Vatrano.

THREE-WAY TRADE IN THE OFF-SEASON
FLA receives: a late round pick from each of PIT and OTT
PIT receives: Montour
OTT receives: Zucker

Why FLA does it: The Panthers are in for a terrible cap crunch this summer, courtesy of the worst year of Yandle's buyout. Montour is expendable as a $3.5m offensive d-man buried on the bottom pair and not necessarily playing on the PP.
Why PIT does it: Pittsburgh is in for a cap crunch themselves, and they are going to struggle to retain their most important UFAs. Zucker should be expendable compared to Malkin, Letang, Rust, Rodrigues, Carter (or finding another middle 6 C to replace him). They also have a thin right side, and Montour is a Sullivan defenseman. Highly mobile, offensive guy who is capable as a PPQB. They save $2m in cap while cashing in excess winger depth for bolstering their bottom 4.
Why OTT does it: Ottawa has cap ton of cap space, and their rebuild is supposed to be over. Zucker is a pending UFA who can provide middle 6 scoring depth for a year, and they can get him for next to nothing. Would imagine they'd be interested in a speedy 20+ goal scorer as they are currently among the lowest scoring teams in the league.

----------------------------------------------------------

A final proposal is finding a cap dump partner to pull an Orpik. A few years ago, the Capitals traded Brooks Orpik and Grubauer to the Avs for a 2nd Round Pick and the understanding that the Avs would buyout Orpik's final year, allowing the Caps to immediately sign him at a reduced cap.

The Panthers would like to find a partner to do the same for Hornqvist. His buyout would be two years at $1.7m. Orpik's buyout was $2.5m then $1.5m, so we'll offer a mid-round pick or something.

Final product this offseason:

Verhaeghe - Barkov - Duclair
Huberdeau - Bennett - Reinhart
Hoffman - Lundell - Denisenko
Lomberg - Luostarinen - Hornqvist

Forsling/Carlsson - Ekblad
Carlsson/Forsling - Weegar
Juolevi - Gudas

Habs won't retain on Hoffman IMO. Why? Cause you can only retain on 3 contracts and those spots need to stay open for Price, Gallagher, and Petry (contracts harder to move if we rebuild). We could and probably will retain on Chiarot cause that retention expires at the end of the year and we are not oving Price, Gallagher, and Petry that quickly

I can see guys like Chiarot, Lehkonen, Perreault, Kulak being moved at this deadline. Not so sure we are in a rush to move Hoffman, Toffoli, and Anderson... even this off season. We have time on our side there and can revisit that idea next trade deadline

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I mean if Tippet is such a disposable piece I'd hope the Sens would just give up something for him now rather than take on Zucker in the off-season.

From a Senators perspective, it's a ton of cap locked up at the teams position of strength. Value is fine, but that's rarely the most important factor when discussing Senators trades. I'd imagine they'd prefer to use their finite resources to shore up C/RD.

Reactions: Bileur

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ideally, I would prefer not to retain on Hoffman. We could probably do this deal and take on Hornqvist cap hit while also moving Lehkonen in the deal (which we could retain 50%) since his deal is up at the end of the year

Reactions: Habs Halifax

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Habs won't retain on Hoffman IMO. Why? Cause you can only retain on 3 contracts and those spots need to stay open for Price, Gallagher, and Petry (contracts harder to move if we rebuild). We could and probably will retain on Chiarot cause that retention expires at the end of the year and we are not oving Price, Gallagher, and Petry that quickly

I can see guys like Chiarot, Lehkonen, Perreault, Kulak being moved at this deadline. Not so sure we are in a rush to move Hoffman, Toffoli, and Anderson... even this off season. We have time on our side there and can revisit that idea next trade deadline
Ideally, I would prefer not to retain on Hoffman. We could probably do this deal and take on Hornqvist cap hit while also moving Lehkonen in the deal (which we could retain 50%) since his deal is up at the end of the year

If you guys aren't retaining at least $1m on Hoffman, then it's just a non-starter.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you guys aren't retaining at least $1m on Hoffman, then it's just a non-starter.

No problem for us. We don't have to move Hoffman. We would be open to retention if we could but like I said, those 3 spots need to be kept open if we truly rebuild and try to trade Price, Gallagher, and Petry. Those contracts are harder to move and take in by other teams.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Ottawa not giving up a first for a UFA.

That is an accurate description of the proposal - Ottawa not giving up a first for a UFA. In this proposal, Ottawa is giving up a late round pick (typically refers to a 5th, 6th or 7th) for a player with one year left on his deal.

That said, I would do this no problem. As @stempniaksen says, though, if Tippett is that disposable, I would much rather make a move for him.

Reactions: kerrabria

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
Reread the post. I'm asking for a late round pick. Like I'd be satisfied with a 5th from Pittsburgh and a 6th from Ottawa.

I think I made a very, very well-thought argument for the trades. Why is not #notgood?
To be frank I just don’t rate Hoffman that highly. Sure he’d probably help the power play but I don’t think that talent is the issue with the PP, rather the usage of the talent, and he’d probably do more harm than good 5v5. The main issue for me tho is Montours been really good for us, so getting rid of him for nothing in order to run a LD room of Forsling/Carlsson/Juolevi, which might be the worst LD group in the league, makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad