Proposal: (FLA/MIN) Knight for Gustavsson (50% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
to Florida Panthers
Filip Gustavsson (50% retained) (2y @ $1.8750m)
TOTAL CAP = $1.8750m
CAP CHANGE = open $2.6250m in cap

to Minnesota Wild
Spencer Knight (2y @ $4.5000m then RFA)
( retaining $1.8750m on Gustavsson )
TOTAL CAP = $6.3750m
CAP CHANGE = add $2.6250m in cap

FLORIDA PANTHERS
The main purpose of this trade is to open up much-needed cap space to ensure that the team can continue to compete for the cup over the next few years. This gives Florida the money needed to keep both Reinhart AND Montour, if they both want to stay. It also gives Bobrovsky probably the best backup goalie in the league at a VERY reasonable cap hit for 2 years. The only catch here is that Florida is giving away their goalie of the future. There is, however, a possibility that Gustavsson plays extremely well over the next two years, and Florida decides to keep him as their main guy in 2026 when they move on from Bobrovsky. Gustavsson isn't a kid, but he isn't older either. He could potentially be a decent starting goalie in Florida 4 years from now. If not, this still greatly helps Florida achieve their short-term plans.

MINNESOTA WILD
The main purpose of this trade is to greatly increase the chances that Minnesota has a great starting goalie long-term. The chances are decent with Wallstedt, but the chances would be very very high with both Knight and Wallstedt on the team. This SEEMS like something that would cost too much versus how badly Minnesota needs it, but luckily Florida's big big need is cap space. All Minnesota needs to do is eat half of Gustavsson's salary for 2 years, and they can swap him out for a 23 year old kid with very high potential and NHL experience. Fleury mentors Knight this year, and then Wallstedt comes up to replace Fleury next summer when Fleury retires. If you consider the Gustavsson retention as part of Knight's cap hit, you're basically trading $3.7500m Gustavsson straight up for $6.3750m Knight. The cap hit is a little steep, but it's only for 2 years, and then Knight is RFA, not UFA. Short term pain for long term gain.

• Haha
Reactions: ODoyle

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
You do understand Minnesota has cap issues and 3 goalies lock up and it's why they will move gus right? As much as I want knight, Minnesota isn't retaining for anyone nor taking on additional cap at G. No from Wild

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
You do understand Minnesota has cap issues and 3 goalies lock up and it's why they will move gus right?
Minnesota has over $14m in cap in buyouts this year, yes. It all goes way next summer. The 23 man roster is mostly set already, and Minnesota has around $5.0m or $5.1m in cap space left over after signing the RFAs and signing cheap press box guys. There's definitely $2.6250m cap space available to make a move if the Wild think it potentially helps them now AND 3 years from now. There would still be around $2.5m-ish in cap to play with this year, and a massive amount next summer.

Minnesota does not have "3 goalies locked up". Fleury is retiring next summer, and Wallstedt is a waiver exempt kid who makes under $1m in cap when he's in the NHL, which is during injuries. 2 goalies plus a callup kid this year, 2 goalies next year when Wallstedt replaces Fleury. There will be zero days where Minnesota is forced to have all 3 on their roster against their wishes.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Knight fallen out of favor that much?
If Florida moves Knight in a deal, it's likely that they're taking a (cheaper) goalie back. They can either go the route of getting a pure backup and pick(s)/prospect(s), or my idea was, give them Gustavsson under $2m cap as the best backup in the league for 2 years, but no pick/prospect. There are only a handful of teams that could take Knight on without sending a goalie the other way, and most of those teams have high-end goalie prospects only 1 year away, or cap issues, or both.

Perhaps FLA demands a pick be included too. Could maybe still work, depending on the pick.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
to Florida Panthers
Filip Gustavsson (50% retained) (2y @ $1.8750m)
TOTAL CAP = $1.8750m
CAP CHANGE = open $2.6250m in cap

to Minnesota Wild
Spencer Knight (2y @ $4.5000m then RFA)
( retaining $1.8750m on Gustavsson )
TOTAL CAP = $6.3750m
CAP CHANGE = add $2.6250m in cap

FLORIDA PANTHERS
The main purpose of this trade is to open up much-needed cap space to ensure that the team can continue to compete for the cup over the next few years. This gives Florida the money needed to keep both Reinhart AND Montour, if they both want to stay. It also gives Bobrovsky probably the best backup goalie in the league at a VERY reasonable cap hit for 2 years. The only catch here is that Florida is giving away their goalie of the future. There is, however, a possibility that Gustavsson plays extremely well over the next two years, and Florida decides to keep him as their main guy in 2026 when they move on from Bobrovsky. Gustavsson isn't a kid, but he isn't older either. He could potentially be a decent starting goalie in Florida 4 years from now. If not, this still greatly helps Florida achieve their short-term plans.

MINNESOTA WILD
The main purpose of this trade is to greatly increase the chances that Minnesota has a great starting goalie long-term. The chances are decent with Wallstedt, but the chances would be very very high with both Knight and Wallstedt on the team. This SEEMS like something that would cost too much versus how badly Minnesota needs it, but luckily Florida's big big need is cap space. All Minnesota needs to do is eat half of Gustavsson's salary for 2 years, and they can swap him out for a 23 year old kid with very high potential and NHL experience. Fleury mentors Knight this year, and then Wallstedt comes up to replace Fleury next summer when Fleury retires. If you consider the Gustavsson retention as part of Knight's cap hit, you're basically trading $3.7500m Gustavsson straight up for $6.3750m Knight. The cap hit is a little steep, but it's only for 2 years, and then Knight is RFA, not UFA. Short term pain for long term gain.
So we get a worse goalie, who makes more, AND we get to retain salary to facilitate this downgrade? What a braindead offer.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't see any appeal for Minnesota here. They have Wallstedt. Knight is a better trade fit for a team like the Sharks, who need a future #1G (just an example).

Reactions: MK9

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
So we get a worse goalie, who makes more, AND we get to retain salary to facilitate this downgrade?
Knight is 3 years younger, drafted higher, hasn't shown his draft position was a mistake, and is RFA in 2 summers. Gustavsson is UFA in 2 summers. I think it's generally agreed upon that Knight has more trade value than Gustavsson.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If Florida moves Knight in a deal, it's likely that they're taking a (cheaper) goalie back. They can either go the route of getting a pure backup and pick(s)/prospect(s), or my idea was, give them Gustavsson under $2m cap as the best backup in the league for 2 years, but no pick/prospect. There are only a handful of teams that could take Knight on without sending a goalie the other way, and most of those teams have high-end goalie prospects only 1 year away, or cap issues, or both.

Perhaps FLA demands a pick be included too. Could maybe still work, depending on the pick.
I get what you are proposing...but...

Why should Minnesota use this space that way?

Day after they set the roster they have $5M in space before any trades

They could use space for deadline trades and get picks/ prospects so they want to set aside $3M or so for that.

They also dont nerd a goalie given their former 2sr round goalie drafted

Knight is 3 years younger, drafted higher, hasn't shown his draft position was a mistake, and is RFA in 2 summers. Gustavsson is UFA in 2 summers. I think it's generally agreed upon that Knight has more trade value than Gustavsson.
Given contract and some issues hes had. I would question the more value portion in what risk there is.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I get what you are proposing...but...

Why should Minnesota use this space that way?

Day after they set the roster they have $5M in space before any trades

They could use space for deadline trades and get picks/ prospects so they want to set aside $3M or so for that.

They also dont nerd a goalie given their former 2sr round goalie drafted
I guess you could view it as a $2.6m cap investment for 2 years to increase the odds from "high-ish" (Wallstedt only) to extremely high (Wallstedt + Knight) that Minnesota gets a young top 20 goalie for years to come. They also get the luxury of seeing which kid is even better than the other one, and trading away the lesser of the two. Which means you're also increasing odds that your top 20 goalie is actually top 15 or top 10 or top 5 league-wide.

Some people might view that as a waste of cap space. That's 100% fair. I personally think it's a good investment for a team looking to build a cup contending roster.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Not interested in adding cap and certainly not for Knight. Play out the last year of the dead cap and roll into 25-26 with a clean slate. A polite no thank you from me.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
He hasn't shown his draft position was a mistake? Get real, dude. They sent him down to the AHL rather than have him even be a backup in the NHL at age 23. Knight at $4.5 mil is a reclamation project at this point. Florida would be lucky to get a 2nd for him

• Haha
Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Minnesota has over $14m in cap in buyouts this year, yes. It all goes way next summer. The 23 man roster is mostly set already, and Minnesota has around $5.0m or $5.1m in cap space left over after signing the RFAs and signing cheap press box guys. There's definitely $2.6250m cap space available to make a move if the Wild think it potentially helps them now AND 3 years from now. There would still be around $2.5m-ish in cap to play with this year, and a massive amount next summer.

Minnesota does not have "3 goalies locked up". Fleury is retiring next summer, and Wallstedt is a waiver exempt kid who makes under $1m in cap when he's in the NHL, which is during injuries. 2 goalies plus a callup kid this year, 2 goalies next year when Wallstedt replaces Fleury. There will be zero days where Minnesota is forced to have all 3 on their roster against their wishes.
What your saying isn't even true. Minnesota is trying to sign a top 6 Winger. They have 14 or 15 locker spots sets. So they need money to sign a few more players and then fill out their AHL team with okay to goodcrwady players.

So again no. Minnesota has wallstedt, fleury, and gus. Wallstedt needs to play this year because wild have to resign him also. The little money Minnesota has is to improve the roster elsewhere, not spend on a G and can't fill out roster or their Ahl team

• Haha
Reactions: lanceuppercut75

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
kind of ignoring a couple of elephants in the room there, bud.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think the last team to bite on spencer knight would be the one with Wallstedt

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m sorry, why would Minnesota be retaining here?? Knight didn’t play in the NHL this year and has a higher cap hit. You basically made Knight’s cap hit $6.375M. Just ridiculous.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I don't like speaking for other people, but in this case I'm fairly certain I can say, 'Nah. This doesn't interest us in the slightest.' on behalf of if not all, most Wild fans.

Reactions: IAHockey25

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
I don't like speaking for other people, but in this case I'm fairly certain I can say, 'Nah. This doesn't interest us in the slightest.' on behalf of if not all, most Wild fans.
in this instance you can speak on my behalf.

Reactions: MK9

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I’m sorry, why would Minnesota be retaining here?? Knight didn’t play in the NHL this year and has a higher cap hit. You basically made Knight’s cap hit $6.375M. Just ridiculous.
Paying with (2 years of) cap space instead of paying with picks or prospects.

No retention = Minnesota adds, and they aren't giving picks or prospects for Knight when they already have Wallstedt.

Also, FLA keeps Knight if the goalie coming back is around $3m or more. Their motive for trading Knight is to open cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad