Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Mack Guzda signs ELC with the Panthers (3 years, $925k AAV, two-way)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Kind of interesting this was the team him and his agent chose.

Usually you aim for teams where you have a shot at making the NHL roster.

Is Spencer Knight getting traded or getting sent down (can he pass waivers) or is he just accepting not being in the NHL this year?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Is Spencer Knight getting traded or getting sent down (can he pass waivers) or is he just accepting not being in the NHL this year?

I'm a big Guzda fan from his days in Owen Sound, but he's nowhere near NHL quality yet.

He'll need a couple years in the AHL most likely, I'd say.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Bye Bye Spencer Knight?
To be fair, my post is slightly in jest, but there is also a lot of speculation that a Jakob Chychrun return for Arizona would be centered around Knight and picks. Seems strange to me, if all these teams are interested in him, that Guzda would sign with the one that has a 1st round pick, can't miss-goalie prospect when there's much easier path to the NHL in many other organizations...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Knight can play in the AHL (he did on Friday for the Checkers and got the win in Rochester) and is still waiver exempt.

There is the other possibility that the Panthers have an eye for goaltending and their longer term horizon appeals to Guzda.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Panthers lost both Montembault to MTL on waivers and Levi to Buffalo for Reinhart this off-season. Goalie depth outside of Bob and Knight is non-existent so this lets Guzda get a prime chance at an AHL spot right away and a potential NHL spot in a few years when Bob is out

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Panthers lost both Montembault to MTL on waivers and Levi to Buffalo for Reinhart this off-season. Goalie depth outside of Bob and Knight is non-existent so this lets Guzda get a prime chance at an AHL spot right away and a potential NHL spot in a few years when Bob is out

This. There isn't really anything else to read into this. We aren't moving Knight.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Weird - you'd think he would have signed with a team where he could have had a shorter path to the big league.

Not many (undrafted) CHL goalies are going to be vying for an NHL roster spot immediately. Florida only has two goalies under contract for next season (Johansson/Fitzpatrick are RFAs), so they could at least promise him a shot at a decent amount of AHL starts.

Realistically I think teams were looking at Guzda more as a #4 or #5 in their organizational depth chart for 2022-23. Cal Petersen shunned the Sabres for the Kings who didn't have a ton of AHL depth and he still needed a couple full seasons before securing an NHL spot. Petersen was probably a little further along his development path than Guzda at this point.

Other teams might already have a guy or two in the same age range within the system. Marek mentioned Carolina for example, but Guzda/his agent might have figured he could get lost in the shuffle there with Eetu Makiniemi already in the AHL and if Pyotr Kochetkov came to North America.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Weird - you'd think he would have signed with a team where he could have had a shorter path to the big league.

something to remember….

we are before March 1 so first year of ELC counts now. He’s on roster and can go to A and play in playoffs. So he only have 2 yrs left on ELC after this one.

I think other teams wanted to wait till March and sign a differed contract with ATO.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
something to remember….

we are before March 1 so first year of ELC counts now. He’s on roster and can go to A and play in playoffs. So he only have 2 yrs left on ELC after this one.

I think other teams wanted to wait till March and sign a differed contract with ATO.
So he can't go back to Barrie for the rest of the season and still have three years remaining on his ELC?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
All teams offered him the 3rd or 4th spot in their organization and he chose the warmest place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad