Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] F Sam Reinhart signs extension with the Panthers (8 years, $8.625M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Your personal “credit” has nothing to do with the reality of tax advantages that are openly acknowledged by nhl players agents gms accountants and media.

It’s shocking how many brilliant GMs and

Two decades is irrelevant. The tax advantage became the only advantage left
When they closed off back diving deals (which they should have)

The Second those aged out. It’s all no state tax teams.

Every no state tax teams gm is a brilliant negotiator. Every player is selfless
And only wants to winn

ok.
What? Is this sarcasm??

The previous “tax free teams” (as a Florida resident, please tell me how I can stop paying taxes) went WAY over LTIR. The owners overpaid, where was the tax advantage? Vegas moves guys out left and right.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Hmmm.. Yeah they suck as GM's. Thats why Florida teams have gone to the cup final the last 5 years

yikkes. calm down. you completely miss the point he was making, then get mad at him for somethign he didn't even say?

he said that ppl give credit to GMs for tax (or geographical) benefits of an area. Yzerman is an example of how he's doing in Detroit now.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I don't think anyone is expecting another season like this from him. It's definitely an outlier.

However, his 2 other seasons with the Panthers he's averaged 30 goals, around 70 points, and is our 2nd best two way forward. He's also the type of player that ages well, with his best trait being his hockey IQ.

Most Panthers fans would be satisfied with him resigning at 8.5-9 mil
Strongly agree with this. He got paid reasonably over his last 3 year performance. With the cap going up, he doesn't have to be a 50 goal guy to justify the $8.6M cap.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Lmao, what? What part of Great GM did you miss in my post that you quoted? And wtf are you talking about with the Leafs being terrible for decades? They've been great for at least the last 5 years but they're GM allowed them to pick their first raise. Their fans bitch about it all the time.

Again, since you apparently struggle with it, it takes great owners, a very smart and talented GM, and success as well.

Dubas, since you brought up Toronto, would have apparently given Reino a max deal (whether in Florida or Toronto) based on past experience because...he earned it?

Yes, the tax advantage exists. It did nothing for us for almost two decades due to terrible ownership, an internal cap, and awful GMs. Sorry, but it's not just a "tax advantage," there's a lot more that goes into it. Hell, Tampa just had to package sweeteners to correct their contract mistakes in Sergachev and Jeannot.
Just do what I do to the tax criers now...just reply with crying emojis. It's a waste of time and effort to try to speak logic to there tax riddled, tax boogeyman brains.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What? Is this sarcasm??

The previous “tax free teams” (as a Florida resident, please tell me how I can stop paying taxes) went WAY over LTIR. The owners overpaid, where was the tax advantage? Vegas moves guys out left and right.

There has not been a single player on a no state tax team that has ever been paid 14% aav in the new system.

That is the market standard for high tax teams regardless of weather/prestige/winnjng

Floridas highest is 12.27 for your “overpay” of bob.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Wild cap number when you compare it to the guys in Toronto. Is Reinhart a regular 45- 50 goal guy moving forward? It’s quite possible.

Yeah no……. This is an overpay. Sam cashed in on a season he’ll never have again. He’s more of a 20-25 goal scorer. If you really think Sam is going to come close to 40-50 goals again I have a bridge to sell you

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
There has not been a single player on a no state tax team that has ever been paid 14% aav in the new system.

That is the market standard for high tax teams regardless of weather/prestige/winnjng

Floridas highest is 12.27 for your “overpay” of bob.
How about the advantage of the Leafs being able to pay ~$40M worth of bonuses today? I could definitely be wrong, but I thought that AM get some preferential tax treatment on the signing bonus payouts because of his residence?

You worry about the stuff that you can control IMO.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How about the advantage of the Leafs being able to pay ~$40M worth of bonuses today? I could definitely be wrong, but I thought that AM get some preferential tax treatment on the signing bonus payouts because of his residence?

You worry about the stuff that you can control IMO.

There is no advantage there that no other team can do. They may choose not to. But they are allowed to structure contracts with SB. In fact. Tampa/florida don

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Another win for tax-friendly markets… would really like to see a mechanism put in place in the next CBA to even out the advantages teams in tax-free states have over other teams. Not counting on it though.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

The moment they do, they should deal with sponsorship opportunity by location, QoL in location, and not allow signing bonuses.

There is no advantage there that no other team can do. They may choose not to. But they are allowed to structure contracts with SB. In fact. Tampa/florida don
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
The moment they do, they should deal with sponsorship opportunity by location, QoL in location, and not allow signing bonuses.

Side face emoticons aside, I don’t necessarily disagree with you. It’s a complex issue (or set of issues) that doesn’t necessarily have an easy answer.

However, if you’re going to hold all teams to a hard cap and punish them for bad contracts, then I think the league should be obligated to ensure that the rules of engagement are as fair as possible across as many variables as possible.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Side face emoticons aside, I don’t necessarily disagree with you. It’s a complex issue (or set of issues) that doesn’t necessarily have an easy answer.

However, if you’re going to hold all teams to a hard cap and punish them for bad contracts, then I think the league should be obligated to ensure that the rules of engagement are as fair as possible across as many variables as possible.
Economic factors per city is impossible to equalize and shouldn't be discussed by amy league. I guarantee it won't even be approached or mentioned during CBA agreements because no one of importance gives a damn. Only crying fans from north of the border in a specific province.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The cap is bullshit and makes the NHL unfair and unfun.

How much time is focused on players contracts that should go towards enjoying the game? All to artificially favor a few teams that rely on handouts to exist. Its BS and this Reinhart contract made it clearer than ever
FoB - where you a fan of the NHL in the pre-cap era? Because if you don't want fun - have play-off series where one team has 3x the salary of their opponent. And I say this as a Hawks fan whose team (and TB as well) was gutted by the cap.

The "tax difference" impact is similar to having teams being able to pay 90% of the contract at the start of the year in "signing bonus". But because the Leafs "give that away" and do that in addition to overpaying their own players, it's apparently not a big deal. The cap wasn't meant to give absolute parity for teams. Some teams have weather advantage, other teams have tradition advantage, or teams have deeper pockets to be able to scout better or be able to "treat their players like gods". Make good decisions, and your organization will do well.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
This guy would be 36 during the final year of this deal.

I say "would", because he will be bought out of this awful contract before he reaches that.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I don’t know why it’s so hard for Florida fans to understand that just because their team sucked back then doesn’t mean they don’t have a huge advantage now that they have a good team that can take advantage of low taxes.

The leafs have been terrible for decades, does that mean that Toronto will not have a huge advantage if they removed the salary cap today?

Please tell me about all the Cups and playoff runs Toronto had when there was no cap. I'm waiting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad