Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] D Adam Boqvist signs with the Panthers (1 year, $775k)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is what Zito does: Take flawed defensemen that other teams have given up on, find them for cheap, and resuscitate them.

Boqvist is very flawed. He is legitimately one of the worst defensive players in the league. But he will get PP time and a chance to produce, clearly a reclamation project in the same style they managed with Montour.

His defensive flaws may be mitigated somewhat by FLA's overall defensive structure. A lot of two-way forwards, hard in-zone defence, and forwards backtracking to cover for him. FLA's style might also help his in-zone decision tree somewhat and reduce his turnover issue - with FLA he mostly just has to punt the puck into an area up ice and let the forwards contest it

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
So they replace Montour and OEL with AHLers Boqvist and Megna? They are going to have a hell of a regression next season
I get you're a leaf fan and you will go out of your way to make OEL seem like he's still good but he's not.
He performed ok early in the year when everything is out of whack.

The longer the season gets and things normalize, his game went to shit just like all the pretenders who look like playoff teams.

This signing was a no brainier and a great spot for Adam to hopefully rebuild his game if he can stay healthy.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
I get you're a leaf fan and you will go out of your way to make OEL seem like he's still good but he's not.

The longer the season gets and things normalize, his game went to shit just like all the pretenders who look like playoff teams.

This signing was a no brainier and a great spot for Adam to hopefully rebuild his game if he can stay healthy.
OEL was solid for us all season

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
People said the same about us losing gudas and staal lol
I wonder how people were laughing in the OEL thread when we signed him

I dont see our defense falling off the cliff, even to start the season last year without ekblad and montour we did really well when most expected us to seriously regress.

Boqvists injury history worries me though, but we have 3 other guys who could take his spot in a pinch.

Forsling-ekblad
Mikkola-Boqvist
Kulikov-Schmidt
Bjornfot, Ballinskis, Megna as extras

Not world beaters but it seems solid to me, Kulikov was an absolute monster in the finals

Terrible defense, heavily system dependent.

Fortunately the coach has a terrific system.

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Alot of the same things were said of Montour when coming over from the Sabres and Ducks, I have faith in the pro scouts, if they think he is worth a shot sign me up.

The kid is just 24, and has played on some very bad teams, he could surprise.

And he has a major league shot.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At the age of 23 many European defenders don't mature until after that age. Do I need to explain Hedman and Chara to you?

Signing a player to league minumum who is still young and was the 2nd best prospect in the draft is stupid? You can bury him in the minors for nothing.

And you think that mentality after 13 years of losing would change.

Florida is the Stanley Cup winner signing him, does that make the Stanley Cup winner stupid too or is that different?

Sabres fans - Sure we lost 13 years in a row and who cares if its basically a free asset, the Stanley Cup winner sure is stupid signing him.

Thats right I forgot, we got Kyle Clague, a defender no one else wanted. He isn't a turnstile.

I'm a Jackets fan, I'm telling you based on my assessment of Boqvist that it would not suit the Sabres needs. I doubt you'll find many Jackets fans that think Boqvist would help Dahlin in any way.

I don't have a problem with the Panthers picking him up. They have a situation where he might get offensive deployment and he has a good chance at quarterbacking a PP. Ultimately I expect they'd swap him out for someone else come playoff time, Boqvist is useless against a heavy cycle. But they can at least give him a shot and he might provide some real offensive utility in the regular season.

For the Sabres, you've already got your PP QB's and offensive guys who need the puck on their stick. Pairing them with a guy who defends worse than they do and provides less offense is not going to help. He's not a plus puckmover either, if he's racing back to get a puck in his zone he can get caught by bigger and faster forwards.

I have no idea what you're talking about with this 2nd best prospect in the draft talk, or this Hedman and Chara stuff. Boqvist has a small frame, he tried putting on weight and it just slowed him down. He got lighter for last season and it helped his game, he went from below average speed to closer to average.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

Early in the year while Ekblad and Montour were out he was playing top pair with Forsling. He played very well then and was good all season, his game certainly didn’t go to shit.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I'm a Jackets fan, I'm telling you based on my assessment of Boqvist that it would not suit the Sabres needs. I doubt you'll find many Jackets fans that think Boqvist would help Dahlin in any way.

I don't have a problem with the Panthers picking him up. They have a situation where he might get offensive deployment and he has a good chance at quarterbacking a PP. Ultimately I expect they'd swap him out for someone else come playoff time, Boqvist is useless against a heavy cycle. But they can at least give him a shot and he might provide some real offensive utility in the regular season.

For the Sabres, you've already got your PP QB's and offensive guys who need the puck on their stick. Pairing them with a guy who defends worse than they do and provides less offense is not going to help. He's not a plus puckmover either, if he's racing back to get a puck in his zone he can get caught by bigger and faster forwards.

I have no idea what you're talking about with this 2nd best prospect in the draft talk, or this Hedman and Chara stuff. Boqvist has a small frame, he tried putting on weight and it just slowed him down. He got lighter for last season and it helped his game, he went from below average speed to closer to average.
Based on your assessments?

You mean you would have also traded Hedman for a bag of picks cause you would have had the same "assessment"

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Based on your assessments?

You mean you would have also traded Hedman for a bag of picks cause you would have had the same "assessment"

No, and I am flabbergasted that you came to that conclusion. Those D don't share anything other than a nationality.

It feels like you're not a reliable person to chat with, if you're just going to make up random nonsensical strawmen like that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
true, just look at what the oilers did this season turning themselves into a good defensive team

Florida and Edmonton are honestly both good examples of it.

After losing Weegar and some other pieces there were people here who were saying Florida's D was one of the worst in the league two summers ago and even well into the 22-23 season people still kept saying Florida had been set back by years by that Tkachuk trade.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sure seems like they've collected a lot of junk, clutter, and other people's castoffs again. But i guess hey...if it works, it works.

Reactions: MaWa and Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Of course Florida signs him. I wanted him in Buffalo with Dahlin to mentor him but sabres fans said that was stupid.

So he will go to Florida and mature there and will turn into a top 4. The rich get richer.

Sure seems like they've collected a lot of junk, clutter, and other people's castoffs again. But i guess hey...if it works, it works.

They certainly have a way of turning scratch and dent discount players into something, don’t they. Wouldn’t surprise if this is another one.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
They certainly have a way of turning scratch and dent discount players into something, don’t they. Wouldn’t surprise if this is another one.

Forsling was also a waiver pickup.

Wish Buffalo would have taken the chance with Boqvist as a 7th defenseman.

Dahlin I think could have helped there.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He's a poor skater and soft as butter but he's got good vision/hands and an absolute bomb of a shot. I think he could be a solid bottom pairing guy that you can give PP minutes if your team is lacking that true offensive defenseman. Good gamble for Florida.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad