Proposal: (FL) Sam Bennett for (PIT) Evgeni Malkin

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

:panthers
Evgeni Malkin, C
2 years @ 6.1M

:pens

Sam Bennett, C
1 year @ 4.425M​

Allow Malkin to go somewhere relevant (right around the corner from his primary residence) and Pittsburgh to have an asset to flip at the deadline. Coming from someone who loves Malkin and the Penguins - I'm just tired of seeing the max pain brought on by an inept organization (for the past few years) and think this could work for both sides.

Before the Geno is washed statements come flying in, please do a smidge of homework. Also Bennett only has a year left and has a career high of 49 points.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

Evgeni Malkin, C
2 years @ 6.1M

Sam Bennett, C
1 year @ 4.425M​

Allow Malkin to go somewhere relevant (right around the corner from his primary residence) and Pittsburgh to have an asset to flip at the deadline. Coming from someone who loves Malkin and the Penguins - I'm just tired of seeing the max pain brought on by an inept organization (for the past few years) and think this could work for both sides.

Before the Geno is washed statements come flying in, please do a smidge of homework. Also Bennett only has a year left and has a career high of 49 points.
If the panthers lost in the final i could see some reason but Bennet is a playoff warrior. Malkin is still very good tho

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011

Evgeni Malkin, C
2 years @ 6.1M

Sam Bennett, C
1 year @ 4.425M​

LOL, obviously proposal is from a Pittsburgh fan... horrible

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
What would it take from lightning to acquire malkin? We would have to move out at least sheary or perbix. Not trading vasi,hagel,point,kucherov,hedman, and Moser.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Until he comes out and says move me, they aren't moving him. Despite all the dreams of Penguins fans having it happen.

I can almost guarantee that all three of Letang, Crosby, and Malkin will retire as Penguins.
I certainly hope that is the case, but stranger things have happened. I always thought Patrick Kane would retire a Hawk after multiple cup wins, being drafted #1 by the franchise and spending his whole career there. When he went to NYR I was shocked. But I thought that was an anomaly and that well, guys like Stamkos will be a career guy for their team - multiple cups, #1 draft pick, etc. Whole career with team. Then he's gone now. Even if the player WANTED to stay the whole career with one team, the team may have something to say about it. Plus, Kyle Dubas is in charge there, so foolishness would not be unexpected.

Reactions: 666

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I certainly hope that is the case, but stranger things have happened. I always thought Patrick Kane would retire a Hawk after multiple cup wins, being drafted #1 by the franchise and spending his whole career there. When he went to NYR I was shocked. But I thought that was an anomaly and that well, guys like Stamkos will be a career guy for their team - multiple cups, #1 draft pick, etc. Whole career with team. Then he's gone now. Even if the player WANTED to stay the whole career with one team, the team may have something to say about it. Plus, Kyle Dubas is in charge there, so foolishness would not be unexpected.
Kane had a $10.5MM cap hit on a team going into a rebuild. If Toews wasn't hurt he'd of been shipped out as well.

Malkin has a $6MM cap hit on a team that could still contend.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Just because guys get old and can't carry teams like they did in their 20's, doesn't mean an organization is "inept".

For thinking those guys COULD carry teams and supporting them with strict sidecars. For wasting cap year after year on non-impactful players that were never going to be impactful. Not a hindsight conclusion. For sticking with a loser coach who can't adapt and is horrendous with youth talent (sort of what you need these days). For a lot of things.

The first point is the biggest. The fact that they have straight up leaned on THE TWO HEADED MONSTER@W#$% for the past several years is completely ridiculous and the fact that we have the same money as everyone else but have chosen to spend it where we have is also ridiculous.

To the point though - the values are near identical regardless of the hyperbole here. Malkin lives 20 minutes from the Panther practice facility (traffic not withstanding).... so that's why he would waive. Also why retire here for the sake of it without competing and with all the pressure he gets as a relied upon 2C? Why not go somewhere (anywhere) else that will have a better support from linemates?

Florida are cup champions not a retirement home

Malkin today is better than Bennett is/was/will ever be. By a country mile.

This is doing Malkin a favor while trying to get the Pens a respectable asset to flip. Bennett is overrated as hell but I'm not saying he's not a great player or anything.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
For thinking those guys COULD carry teams and supporting them with strict sidecars. For wasting cap year after year on non-impactful players that were never going to be impactful. Not a hindsight conclusion. For sticking with a loser coach who can't adapt and is horrendous with youth talent (sort of what you need these days). For a lot of things.

The first point is the biggest. The fact that they have straight up leaned on THE TWO HEADED MONSTER@W#$% for the past several years is completely ridiculous and the fact that we have the same money as everyone else but have chosen to spend it where we have is also ridiculous.

To the point though - the values are near identical regardless of the hyperbole here. Malkin lives 20 minutes from the Panther practice facility (traffic not withstanding).... so that's why he would waive. Also why retire here for the sake of it without competing and with all the pressure he gets as a relied upon 2C? Why not go somewhere (anywhere) else that will have a better support from linemates?
It's tough to win a Stanley Cup. It's tough to build a roster capable of winning a cup. 31 teams fail at it every year. Teams go through cycles all the time. It's the way sports work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad