OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yeah treadmills suck.

I don’t mind treadmills. I still do them in my offseason. What sucks is the StairMaster. I hate that thing. My gym’s owner is toying with the thought of getting a jacob’s ladder? I think that us what it’s called. I said I would go to another gym if I saw that here lol.

As tge weights getheavier I find I really don’t have a choice but to put squats and DL last. They ruin me for the rest of the workout. They’re my only two leg exercises so it works out putting them at the end. Legs are still relatively fresh and I have enough to give it my all. But if I do them first I’m ruined for everything else.

Oh, I agree. I don’t know your full routine but yeah, if you’re upper focused first half, doing those legs at the end makes sense since legs is like half the body.

In my case, i do legs only on my leg day so I have to manage it a little different.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don’t mind treadmills. I still do them in my offseason. What sucks is the StairMaster. I hate that thing. My gym’s owner is toying with the thought of getting a jacob’s ladder? I think that us what it’s called. I said I would go to another gym if I saw that here lol.

Oh, I agree. I don’t know your full routine but yeah, if you’re upper focused first half, doing those legs at the end makes sense since legs is like half the body.

In my case, i do legs only on my leg day so I have to manage it a little different.
Day 1
Bench
Pushups
Bent over row/Inverted row - superset
Squats

Day 2
Shoulder press
Chin-ups/ Dips superset
Curls/Tricep band pull downs superset
Deadlift

I used to work in some other stuff but as the weights have gotten heavier the workouts are longer so I just do this.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I love the stairmaster, because it's actually useful. A treadmill is boring. 10 minutes on the stairmaster will have you wishing you were dead, 10 minutes on the treadmill and you'd just wish you were some place else.

Jacob's ladder are stupid IMO. Never seen one in use.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I love the stairmaster, because it's actually useful. A treadmill is boring. 10 minutes on the stairmaster will have you wishing you were dead, 10 minutes on the treadmill and you'd just wish you were some place else.

Sick movie though, I do recommend it.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

It's not always that harder = better, especially for cardio. If you're dead after 10 minutes you were wayyyyy over your lactate threshold which may not have been your goal. Usually shouldn't be.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It's not always that harder = better, especially for cardio. If you're dead after 10 minutes you were wayyyyy over your lactate threshold which may not have been your goal. Usually shouldn't be.
Zone 2 is underrated by most runners. I didn’t do it for years and now after having done it for years I wish I had done it from the beginning. It’s no problem getting in 5-6 injury free runs a week which ultimately improvise performance more than running in zone 4 and needing 2 days recovery every few workouts. Zone 2 literally saved my life. I couldn’t jog for 4-5 mins in zone 2 when I first started. I would have to walk about 30 seconds in. Now I can usually complete my entire workout in zone 2 depending on the elevation and distance. I will drift to the high side eventually, but it’s amazing. Can do it almost everyday and the improvement has been huge.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Zone 2 is underrated by most runners. I didn’t do it for years and now after having done it for years I wish I had done it from the beginning. It’s no problem getting in 5-6 injury free runs a week which ultimately improvise performance more than running in zone 4 and needing 2 days recovery every few workouts. Zone 2 literally saved my life. I couldn’t jog for 4-5 mins in zone 2 when I first started. I would have to walk about 30 seconds in. Now I can usually complete my entire workout in zone 2 depending on the elevation and distance. I will drift to the high side eventually, but it’s amazing. Can do it almost everyday and the improvement has been huge.

I think these days it's now overrated and a meme 🤣

But yes, it's the meat and bones of all endurance training, you can do so much more volume and the higher pace you can sustain while burning mostly fat the faster you can go generally.

However, I noticed that things go best for me when I let my inner Forest Gump out once or twice a week.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Day 1
Bench
Pushups
Bent over row/Inverted row - superset
Squats

Day 2
Shoulder press
Chin-ups/ Dips superset
Curls/Tricep band pull downs superset
Deadlift

I used to work in some other stuff but as the weights have gotten heavier the workouts are longer so I just do this.

That’s actually a solid two day routine. Also good deadlift and rows are different days.

I had to use the stairmaster during prep but it was tough because it caused a lot of systemic fatigue. I had to move my stairmaster to the end of the day so it wouldn’t impact my training.

The treadmill was easier. I could stay in zone two pretty easy and time flew because I’d just watch YouTube or a show/movie during my walk. Calories per minute aren’t as efficient as a stairmaster, but I managed my time well.

I have never personally used a jacob’s ladder but a lot of the hybrid athletes at my gym love it which was why our owner is thinking about it. It’s just an enormous waste if space though and not sure if its worth it for the minority of members.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That’s actually a solid two day routine. Also good deadlift and rows are different days.
They have to be. :laugh:

I’m actually thinking of flipping them. The chest/back day is a lot harder than shoulder arm day.

I’ve always found squats to be a lot harder than deads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad