First round picks who were barely professional level?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Igor Knyazev (2001 Carolina #15). A highly rated prospect with a great junior career, best defenseman at the WJC, and then simply nothing. Couldn't make the NHL, couldn't make the Russian league, ended up with fringe semi-pro gigs at lower levels before retiring at 30.
Was coming to post this. Our GM at the time, Jim Rutherford, along with our then owner Peter Karmanos hated this pick so much that they overcorrected. Unbelievably, the next Russian taken by Carolina after 2001 was Andrei Svechnikov in 2018.

The pick busted so bad our cheap owner was like "**** this country for the rest of all time". (We have taken 11 Russians in the past two years alone).

Reactions: cptjeff

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is it too early to put Tyler Boucher in this group? 10th overall pick in 2021 and has done literally nothing since then.

After his draft year, he put up 3 points in 17 games with BC, transferred to the OHL and put up 31 points in 45 games in 2 years combined and put up 5 points in 21 AHL games last year.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Is it too early to put Tyler Boucher in this group? 10th overall pick in 2021 and has done literally nothing since then.

After his draft year, he put up 3 points in 17 games with BC, transferred to the OHL and put up 31 points in 45 games in 2 years combined and put up 5 points in 21 AHL games last year.
So early that it us just ridiculous

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So early that it us just ridiculous

It's more of a projection that he'll end up being that in the long-run. It was bizarre to see a top-10 pick be as underwhelming as he was after being drafted.

I don't know of a single example of a guy with his post-draft year performances ever cutting it in the NHL, especially after being drafted as highly as he was.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Petrecki did last 7 seasons in the AHL, I think OP was looking for guys who didn't weren't AHL caliber. I liked Petrecki too, I remember being upset that the Devils missed out on him because we had to give up our 1st rounder to dump Vladimir Malakhov's cap hit.

In the book "Future Greats and Heartbreaks" there was a passage about the NHL combine and how Petrecki being physically developed might have actually hurt his draft stock. Some teams would think he was 90% to his physical peak so there might not be as much untapped potential for him after the draft.
Yeah I wasn't too sure if he fit the bill. IIRC, he didn't play too many games despite the "long" AHL career. I'm forgetting though.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The weirdest thing about this one is drafting him 4th overall and then another team using pick #16 and #33 to acquire him essentially drafting him in the 1st round a second time after 2 years of offensive regression in juniors and an AHL year where he was not seen as having NHL potential in NY for the following season.
There was likely the thought that big defensemen "take time to develop" and that bringing home a local boy who could be a defensive stalwart would have been a nice hit for an Edmonton team that was constantly getting pummeled defensively on the ice as well as off the ice in the media for being their defensive struggles (and struggles is being generous). :dunno:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He somehow played a lot of games thanks to his name, but Malcolm Subban was an absolute shit goalie. Seems he rightfully hasn't sign a new contract.
Almost 300 pro games as a goalie doesn't seem too shabby, not sure if it fits this exact criteria.

Reactions: mattihp

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Chyzowski always comes to mind for me. 2nd overall in 1989.

Herter or Vallis would be an even better choice. 8th and 13th overall in '89 and one NHL game a piece.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
oh didnt know that. thanks. I never really thought about leagues over seas till like 2017 or 18

stat lines dont always paint a perfect picture

this is a pretty tough one, alot easier if u use NHL or maybe AHL. hard to truly find those bums lol

I feel like you might just be trying to be contrarian at any cost here.

If you can make the case that he doesn't match OP's description, by all means, present that data. 216 games played over seven seasons in the KHL doesn't seem to me to matter much.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
For the Chiarelli-era Bruins, Jordan Caron and Zack Hamill fit this qualification easily.

Both were considered reaches and it turned out to be a big understatement. Neither player ended up having NHL level asset.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I feel like you might just be trying to be contrarian at any cost here.

If you can make the case that he doesn't match OP's description, by all means, present that data. 216 games played over seven seasons in the KHL doesn't seem to me to matter much.
well I dunno what to tell you. those are pro leagues. getting paid to play. barely pro level? 7 seasons would say he was good enough to be employed by professional teams.

against the NHL he fits perfectly but I mean he's still a pro.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
I'm not actually sure if Patrick White or Libor Polasek is the worst Canucks first round pick ever, but the latter was drafted in an era where everybody was trying to find the next Lindros so there are probably a ton of examples in the 90s. At least with White, there isn't really an excuse for making that pick when his physical profile was nothing to write home about and neither was his production.

I will throw Philippe Paradis's name into the mix but he's not the worst named yet.
We haven’t even got to Dan Woodley and Jason Herter

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Surprised not to see Alex Plante listed yet. I grew up playing against this guy, I loled so hard when the Oilers drafted him.

He got into the WHL solely on who his daddy was. Then he was gifted a spot next to former 4th overall pick Karl Alzner as a 17 yo who made him look competent and the Oilers stupidly used a 1st rounder on him. Alzner went pro and Plante collapsed the next year scoring 2pts in 36 games, bad even as a defensive defenseman. The next year as a 19yo in WHL he was a depth player on an absolutely stacked Hitmen team so of course the points came back a little, anybody receiving ice time would have pts on that team. Outscored by Paul Postma, Michael Stone and Keith Seabrook, just among Dmen on his own team. But Edmonton was stupid enough to compound the error of drafting him by signing him after that.

He struggled through being forced into the AHL game for 3 years where he couldn't even really establish himself as a regular in the lineup at the AHL level. Despite this Edmonton gave him 10 nhl games over those 3 seasons, more a testament to their ineptitude at the time than his skill. Played only one more AHL season after that being a #7 D playing behind "all-stars" like Colten Teubert.

After washing out in of 2nd tier hockey nations like Austria and Norway, he finally found a skill level appropriate for himself. In the semi-pro Asia league with Anyang Halla out of South Korea. Spent 5 years there, including representing South Korea at the Olympics in 2018 before retiring at 31.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

One of the worst college players I have ever seen
He literally got suspended by the NCAA on his day off because he wouldn't stop committing charging hits.
He was warned in game by the refs, that this had been going on for multiple games, and he couldn't adjust.

I can't speak for his OHL play, but I know he was suspended in OHL numerous times.
but just brain rot level of stupidity in College.

Last edited:

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Teemu Riihijärvi had a career-high 18-point-season in a Finnish league and never had more including junior seasons.

A classic you can't teach size guy (6'6")

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad