First round picks who were barely professional level?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Blue Jackets have had 4 first round picks that finished their NHL career with less than one full season of games played.

Alexandre Picard (4oa), Kerby Rychel (19oa), Nikita Filatov (6oa), Gabriel Carlsson and (29oa).

Of those guys Picard and Filatov played a few more years over in Europe at least, while Rychel called it quits after a couple of years in the minors. Jury is out on Carlsson but he'll probably play in Europe for a while.
Add 1st round picks like Gilbert Brule, John Moore, Pascal Leclaire, Ryan Murray, Marco Dano, Sonny Milano, Liam Foudy and you understand why this franchise has struggled so badly.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Wade Belak (RIP) played a good number of games in the NHL, but I don't think he was really an NHL-calibre player. He put up poor numbers in other Leagues as well and was basically just a Dead Puck Era goon. He really struggled after the Lockout. He was a poor skater and had no offensive ability at all.

1724118767875.png

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Marek Zagrapan, Dennis Persson, Artem Kryukov.

Zagrapan is the most "successful" of the group, with some ok AHL numbers and some decent euro seasons, but still nothing great.

Came here for Zagrapan, props to him for playing until he was like 35 though. 9 different leagues by my count after getting drafted, dude got some miles in.
At one point, Angelo Esposito looked like a slam dunk first overall pick.

Then fell to 20th.

Then full time bum.

He was always a full time bum of a human, I’m not usually so happy to see prospects fail.

The disrespect of Ali Berg needs to stop. Dude was warrior and actually really good player that has become a meme before meme existed. Ali deserves much better.

Word, and Carlo Coliacovo isn’t a joke, and Cheechoo and Eriksson were good once! That’s barely related, but it bears repeating.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Shawn Belle and Marek Schwarz have to count for the Blues. Schwarz was only successful in the Czech second tier league. Don't even know how Belle played, but he barely played any NHL games.

I suppose the most recent bust is Dominik Bokk (whom I thought would actually be good); he's been overseas in the German league. Not sure how he's doing, but I don't ever think he'll play an NHL game. At least we got Justin Faulk for him?

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Terry Ryan fits this bill right? I mean the guy played ECHL hockey just last year. Player SR in Newfoundland for at least ten years prior to that.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Wade Belak (RIP) played a good number of games in the NHL, but I don't think he was really an NHL-calibre player. He put up poor numbers in other Leagues as well and was basically just a Dead Puck Era goon. He really struggled after the Lockout. He was a poor skater and had no offensive ability at all.

View attachment 902034
Somehow I completely missed that he was a first round pick, and 12th overall no less. It's worth noting though that he was drafted as a defensive d-man and only really switched to forward full time when he joined the Leafs, so offense and production shouldn't be weighed as heavily for him, but you're not wrong that if he wasn't a goon he probably wouldn't have been playing at anything more than ECHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad