Prospect Info: First round pick #26 The environmentally friendly Liam Greentree

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

The environmentally friendly Liam Greentree​

high-guy.gif

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
He will get a nice tour of Ontario during camp. Hope he likes it. He will be there for a while after another year in Windsor.
I wonder if these kids know the world of pain the Kings will inflict on their careers when they get drafted here.
Just chuckling cuz this is so damn true. Gonna keep saying it, Worst thing to happen to Liam...being drafted by the Kings best thing to happen to Liam getting claimed off waivers. Lol.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007

Liam Greentree, RW​

Team: Windsor (OHL) | Rank: 16

DOB: 01/01/06 | Ht: 6-2.25 | Wt: 207 | Shot: L

2023-24 stats: GP: 64 | G: 36 | A: 54 | P: 90

Scouting notes: Greentree has many attributes that scouts love -- he plays in the middle of the ice, sees the ice very well, is an adept playmaker and a throwback build in the style of a power forward. He ranks highly across the board from his physical game to his hockey sense to his high-end playmaking. He lacks in the most important, yet most easily improvable, area: skating. Were Greentree an average or slightly above average skater, he likely would've been a top-10 pick because he's that good in the other areas of his game.

Greentree was effectively a one-man show on a rebuilding Windsor team. His production is likely 20% better on a team that doesn't finish near the bottom of the OHL standings. Not only is he a quality offensive driver, but he is also reliable defensively. He gets himself in good positions, wins puck battles and routinely outmuscles opponents all over the ice. He's fun to watch because you wonder how he is as effective as he is with his skating deficiencies.

Scouts and executives have expressed an admiration for his game. His puckhandling, vision and shot make him a problem to deal with in the offensive zone. There are a lot of tools to work with and wouldn't be the first prospect to improve his skating after being drafted. The problem with Greentree's skating is that it is enough of a concern in today's league that if it doesn't improve, he may not be able to keep up. Functionally big and skilled power wingers are hard to find nowadays and Greentree is exactly that. If he does add a step or two to his game, there's a real chance he's a top-six point producer at the NHL level. -- Doerrie

Team fit: The Kings picked up this pick when Montreal traded up to No. 21 to select center Michael Hage. Greentree was captain of the Windsor Spitfires, and has a big body and a smart offensive game.

He joins a group of young forwards with the Kings that includes burgeoning star Quinton Byfield, Alex Laferriere and hopefully Alex Turcotte, who hasn't developed as quickly as the others. Most importantly, Liam Greentree wore No. 66 in the OHL and would automatically become our favorite player if he had the audacity of wearing Mario Lemieux's sacred digits in the NHL. -- Wyshynski

i like this

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Normally I don't like selecting prospects with skating issues in the 1st round but Greentree is an exception. The top end speed looks fine. The issues with acceleration are more fixable IMO.

I think his production was somewhat held back by playing on such a poor team. Still very impressive for 17 year old.

I like the pick.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Normally I don't like selecting prospects with skating issues in the 1st round but Greentree is an exception. The top end speed looks fine. The issues with acceleration are more fixable IMO.

I think his production was somewhat held back by playing on such a poor team. Still very impressive for 17 year old.

I like the pick.
And despite the team being bad, I believe only four guys in the entire CHL scored more points than Greentree and were first year draft eligible or younger. Three went before him (Parekh, Catton, Parascak) and the fourth was McKenan, who is probably going first in 26

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I like the pick.
We have a pretty good record picking guys with skating issues in that they are good at improving that part of a players game. They are good at identifying what the issues are and if they can be fixed/improved.

I know nothing about this guy apart from what I’ve learned in the last 10 minutes. So far I’m happy.

Reactions: LAKings88

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad