Series Talk: First Round: Pens (1) vs. Isles (4) - Series Tied 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
If Geno is healthy who would you rather have at 2C? Does Draisaitl have his own line? Other than that:
Malkin > Tavares, Krecj, Kuznetzov, …

You happily carry someone who lead the league in 5v5 scoring whilst playing 11/14s of the season last year. The year before the D he played the most with was JMFJ and he still averaged 1 ppg. Year before that 98 points in 78 games. News flash: the whole team stunk the last two playoffs. So Geno had a tough season, but you take the good (or great) with the bad.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
People who dump on Sid and or Geno in the manner some of these ignoramuses do do not have valid opinions and should not be heard or taken seriously in any way. That’s just the truth. Your opinion just doesn’t matter anymore at that point.:laugh: Ignorant people, man.

Can we ever get to game time? I hope the NHL does not take this long of a break in the future.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If Geno is healthy who would you rather have at 2C? Does Draisaitl have his own line? Other than that:
Malkin > Tavares, Krecj, Kuznetzov, …

You happily carry someone who lead the league in 5v5 scoring whilst playing 11/14s of the season last year. The year before the D he played the most with was JMFJ and he still averaged 1 ppg. Year before that 98 points in 78 games. News flash: the whole team stunk the last two playoffs. So Geno had a tough season, but you take the good (or great) with the bad.

if Malkin’s skating is ok he is a must play... if it isn’t they should sit him until either he is 100% or they absolutely need him....

it would be nice for him to light up the postseason though... it would make them resigning him way more tolerable amoung the Malkin haters lol... cause they pretty much are assured to do so, no matter what the fans think

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
More in-depth analysis because I guess that's important;

Geno, if he plays, needs to not be a detriment. As long as he's not hobbling around the ice lagging behind the play, all he really has to do is get Kap the puck. Wish that line had a better guy than Zucker to handle the defensive work and to do the puck retrieval. Kap's gonna need to rely on his skating and ability to fly the zone in a hurry to put a bunch of pressure on the Isles' neutral zone plan.

Jarry needs to be healthy and he needs to not lose us games. That's it. He doesn't have to stand on his head, he doesn't have to steal games. Just don't get hurt since DeSmith is messed up and don't let in softies.

Sid's line needs to be kept away from the Isles top pairing and they need to show up, to a man, for the first time in multiple trips to the playoffs.

TB's line needs to be on top of their game as they'll probably be against Barzal's unit (and Eberle, who seems to torch us every time we play). Geno's line's going to be a mess defensively, Sid's line needs to be the production line, and Carter's line needs to take advantage of the matchups they'll get as Trotz shadows Sid.

Matheson's return is super important for being able to skate pucks out of danger and get the team to an attacking position. The Isles decimated us with their forecheck but we no longer have the likes of JJ, Gudbranson, Maatta and a bum Schultz on the blueline. If Matheson's good, that puts the Isles in a really tough spot.

Battle of the special teams is going to go a long way too. The Isles' PK is great, the Penguins' power play has the potential to score every time they're on the ice. If they keep our PP from doing much damage, that could easily shift the course of games or the series.

Sullivan needs to not let his ego force this team to start several steps back. If lines need to be shaken up or a line needs a particular presence, like Geno's line needing Tanev or even ZAR, please don't refuse to split the 3rd or 4th lines up if/when a scoring line is getting caved in.

Paycheck please.

There's discussion to be had on the subject without the awful delivery, imo.

Is it in the team's best interest to re-sign an aging and oft-injured Geno? I personally don't think so, not at the price he'll command (and get), but I don't think it really matters because this team's going to hand him like a 3-year $24 million deal next summer. You're not going to get a good return for a 35 year old Geno coming off of a bad knee injury--especially if/when he has surgery this summer.

May as well start preparing yourself now.

The smart thing would be letting him go elsewhere. Dude is not worth $ 24 million.

That alone could be used towards all sorts of areas this team is still weak at.

You can literally have a better second line that isn't fragile with that extra money.

And it's got nothing to do with his ethnicity. I've liked many Russians including Mogilny, Bure, Kasparaitus.

I just don't like a guy who is injured every year like clockwork and who takes a lot of dumb retaliatory penalties, isn't focussed on a 200 foot game.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
People who dump on Sid and or Geno in the manner some of these ignoramuses do do not have valid opinions and should not be heard or taken seriously in any way. That’s just the truth. Your opinion just doesn’t matter anymore at that point.:laugh: Ignorant people, man.

Can we ever get to game time? I hope the NHL does not take this long of a break in the future.

Is this the Penguins board or the Crosby/Malkin fellation board?

I'm a fan of the franchise. The only player bigger than the entire franchise is Mario.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s ok to be honest

IMG_3251_800x.jpg
Ok... Lololol

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
i have no problem starting a playoff run with a key guy out. when everyone’s healthy a first round doesn’t go so hot

Yeah, absolutely.

Not that I dont want us to have a healthy Geno and all that he brings, but let's state the obvious: this team absolutely thrives on "A big name is out, we gotta pick up the slack every shift". We saw it alot the last two years in the regular season and we saw it in 2017.

At the very least, I dont think the Pens' effort or focus is going to dip when we're still shorthanded. And like you said, coming in to the playoffs with a clean bill of health in the past (or at least playing guys who are still nursing injuries) hasnt exactly gone well.

Reactions: ncm7772

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I doubt it. You’d want your lines skating together. Islanders will have plans for both scenarios anyway
OH I agree they will. But the Pens are notorious for trying to be ''cute'' as to IF a player is playing or not.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
This lazy idiot just doesn't feel like playing for real any more. Didn't care to show up the first half of the season, was out the second half, and now this. What a waste of 9,5 mln of cap space.

Even if he ever plays these series, he will play like crap, like he always does the last few years, and all the fanboys will scream "Cut him some slack, he has a bum knee!!!!!!!"
Complete useles lazy moron.
F*****ing lazy idiot Malkin, seeking any excuse to not play like he is supposed to.

Imagine believing that Malkin doesn’t care lol.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why are we turning on Malkin? At least let him comeback and look like shit first.
I would like to address the Geno saga if I might. First off he's a generational talent, easily behind Mario by 2hd favorite Pen of all time and will be a first ballot HOFer with the Hart he's won, the Calder, The Art Ross Twice and the Conn Smythe. Very few who have ever played can match his dynamic abilities and high end talent. He's been an integral player in us winning three cups in his time here as well.

With all that said and as much as I love his talent and the player he's been, It gets a little tiring year in and year out with all his injuries. I'm not blaming him for that but still, it get's to be a bit too much at times. It's very rare he's healthy for a full season. Kind of annoying after a while TBTH.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would like to address the Geno saga if I might. First off he's a generational talent, easily behind Mario by 2hd favorite Pen of all time and will be a first ballot HOFer with the Hart he's won, the Calder, The Art Ross Twice and the Conn Smythe. Very few who have ever played can match his dynamic abilities and high end talent. He's been an integral player in us winning three cups in his time here as well.

With all that said and as much as I love his talent and the player he's been, It gets a little tiring year in and year out with all his injuries. I'm not blaming him for that but still, it get's to be a bit too much at times. It's very rare he's healthy for a full season. Kind of annoying after a while TBTH.
What are your feelings on Patrice Bergeron.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why are we turning on Malkin? At least let him comeback and look like shit first.

Other than the poster who literally posts nothing but attacks on our stars to the point I question if he's even a Pens fan or just a visiting fan pretending to be a Pens fan, who is turning on him? My concern/frustration is about his constant injuries and how it's starting to happen more frequently and seems to affect him longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad