First GM fired next season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lou won’t get fired. He’ll get reassigned or something.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lou won’t get fired. He’ll get reassigned or something.
Lou is the boss of himself, literally. He's both the GM and the POHO.

When Lou is ready to be done, he will re-sign and John Collins will conduct a GM search.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You don't always see one fired in-season, but I think the hottest seat currently belongs to Kevyn Adams. I just wonder how hot the seat is for Ron Francis in Seattle? He's probably safe for another year or two, but I'm surprised they didn't pull the trigger on the Grubauer buyout and they are very deprived of skill.

Yzerman might be gone if Detroit doesn't make the playoffs. Realistically I'd think he may get one more year and with a new head coach if they don't make it in 2025.

I'm bored, so let's go over all of them

Anaheim - Verbeek is probably safe. They never cease to amaze me with some of their WTF high draft moves though.

Boston - Sweeney could be a dark horse firing if they underwhelm or go out in round one.

Buffalo - Hot seat

Calgary - Safe

Carolina - Safe. Just got the job.

Chicago - Safe

Colorado - Safe

Columbus - Safe. Just walked in the door.

Dallas - Isn't he supposed to retire after this year or next?

Detroit - Hot seat if no playoffs again.

Edmonton - Vacant

Florida - Safe

LA - Expiring contract. Word was he's gonna opt to walk away when the contract ends in 2025 because he doesn't want the job long term.

Minnesota - Potential hot seat?

Montreal - Safe

Nashville - Safe

New Jersey - Hot seat if no playoffs again.

NYI - So old that he could be done with a playoff miss or even retire on his own.

NYR - Could see him on the hot seat if the Rangers don't do some real damage in the playoffs.

Ottawa - Safe

Philadelphia - Safe

Pittsburgh - Safe

San Jose - Safe

Seattle - Potential hot seat?

St. Louis - Already an exit plan to phase out in the next two years, but I think he's in real danger of it coming before it's currently scheduled.

Tampa - Safe

Toronto - Safe

Utah - Safe?

Vancouver - Safe

Vegas - Safe

Washington - Safe, Just got the job.

Winnipeg - Safe? Been there a very long time with no real playoff success to show for it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I honestly think Rob Blake might be the most unpopular/most hated GM among their own fanbase in the entire league. Arguably even more than Kevyn Adams. I rarely see Kings fans have anything semi-complimentary to say about the guy.

And while I've only heard this once, I think on Friedman's podcast a year or so ago, apparently he doesn't want this job long term and has no plans to be extended when his contract ends in 2025. At least not as the GM. It was said that there's a belief that he wants to enjoy surfing every day and not having to show up and be the GM every day of the year.

I share the sentiment among Kings fans. I think it's probably time to move over and let someone else have this job.

I've heard (not from a Kings employee, but someone who worked for another team and still keeps in touch with Dean and worked for him elsewhere) that the process of Lombardi to Luc Robitaille was bordering hostile takeover territory. Luc was with the organization prior to that, but had no real pull or say until Deano was nuked in 2017.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If Islanders are going to be bad. fire Lou Lamoriello could be funny.
As an Islanders fan I can tell you that you’ve got a better shot of Montreal, SJS and Anaheim all making the playoffs than Lou getting fired. That just won’t happen. He’ll leave on his term or if health conditions force him to step down.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As an Islanders fan I can tell you that you’ve got a better shot of Montreal, SJS and Anaheim all making the playoffs than Lou getting fired. That just won’t happen. He’ll leave on his term or if health conditions force him to step down.
Don't be so sure. Devils fans thought the same thing, and there was a very long time he was more secure in New Jersey than he's ever been or ever will be anywhere else.

I mean, I'm not saying he doesn't have a long leash, but if the Islanders missed the playoffs two years in a row, I'm pretty sure Lou steps down and ''Retires''. Much like how he stepped down in New Jersey, which obviously was not his call.

Just months ago I was told Yzerman has a job forever in Detroit because that family has been writing his paychecks for the better part of 40 years now. Maybe he does have a job for life in Detroit, but it won't be as a GM. Not even close.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Friend of the owner, not happening.
Don't be so sure about that.

I'm pretty sure (you can NEVER be 100%) if they miss the playoffs this coming year, Kevyn Adams isn't the team's general manager in the 25-26 season.

At that point maybe Lindy Ruff takes over or maybe there's a placeholder guy to bridge until Ruff decides he's done with coaching.

Reactions: sabremike

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Don't be so sure. Devils fans thought the same thing, and there was a very long time he was more secure in New Jersey than he's ever been or ever will be anywhere else.

I mean, I'm not saying he doesn't have a long leash, but if the Islanders missed the playoffs two years in a row, I'm pretty sure Lou steps down and ''Retires''. Much like how he stepped down in New Jersey, which obviously was not his call.

Just months ago I was told Yzerman has a job forever in Detroit because that family has been writing his paychecks for the better part of 40 years now. Maybe he does have a job for life in Detroit, but it won't be as a GM. Not even close.
You should know that he won’t be fired though, he’ll step down as GM but stay on as president of hockey ops or special advisor until someone new is hired. They’ll probably give Chris the interim tag unless they have someone already hired but not announced, similarly to the Roy hiring.
The whole Trotz thing is similar. Barry wanted to step away from coaching last season so he came to the mutual agreement with Lou to be “fired” but didn’t take a new job until after the season when he was announced as the new GM in Nashville. He’s leaving on his terms, not someone else’s.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You should know that he won’t be fired though, he’ll step down as GM but stay on as president of hockey ops or special advisor until someone new is hired. They’ll probably give Chris the interim tag unless they have someone already hired but not announced, similarly to the Roy hiring.
The whole Trotz thing is similar. Barry wanted to step away from coaching last season so he came to the mutual agreement with Lou to be “fired” but didn’t take a new job until after the season when he was announced as the new GM in Nashville. He’s leaving on his terms, not someone else’s.
When Lou stepped down with the Devils, he didn't really step down. He was removed. We all know that. Ownership removed him as GM and gave him a ceremonial role to Shero. That's why he abruptly left to go be the Leafs GM after less than 3 months.

If he did that again, I would honestly believe his higher ups (ownership) most likely made that call. They usually do that with someone like Lou or some other long tenured and respected person in hockey/sports to go out a bit more gracefully than saying ''He's fired!''.

Reactions: miscs75

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
When Lou stepped down with the Devils, he didn't really step down. He was removed. We all know that. Ownership removed him as GM and gave him a ceremonial role to Shero. That's why he abruptly left to go be the Leafs GM after less than 3 months.

If he did that again, I would honestly believe his higher ups (ownership) most likely made that call. They usually do that with someone like Lou or some other long tenured and respected person in hockey/sports to go out a bit more gracefully than saying ''He's fired!''.
He’ll get “fired” but he won’t be the first one. It’ll be after this season if I had to guess unless the Isles absolutely dominate and become a powerhouse leading to either a deep cup run or cup win. I have a feeling they’re letting him ride out this year to replace him for next season so they can have a strong year with the all star game being at UBS in 2026. I just hope they go back to an East vs West or North America vs the World format for that one. Do it right before the Olympic break and let all the guys going overseas to play just leave right after in time for adjustment to the time zone change and opening ceremonies.

Reactions: Bleedred

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I’m in shock that Yzerman’s name has only been mentioned in like half a dozen posts across nearly 3 full pages. This site loves to hate him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He’ll get “fired” but he won’t be the first one. It’ll be after this season if I had to guess unless the Isles absolutely dominate and become a powerhouse leading to either a deep cup run or cup win. I have a feeling they’re letting him ride out this year to replace him for next season so they can have a strong year with the all star game being at UBS in 2026. I just hope they go back to an East vs West or North America vs the World format for that one. Do it right before the Olympic break and let all the guys going overseas to play just leave right after in time for adjustment to the time zone change and opening ceremonies.
For sure, I definitely don't see him being fired or removed by GM midseason, unless he legit does decide to go out for whatever reason and it's all his choice. Playoffs all but one year since he's been there. They usually reserve in-season GM firings for clowns like Jarmo, who've been running a joke operation for years, on top of making a controversial coaching hire, which led to that coach being dismissed before he could even run a training camp practice, due to him continuing his shenanigans.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I’m in shock that Yzerman’s name has only been mentioned in like half a dozen posts across nearly 3 full pages. This site loves to hate him.
Yzerman, Blake, Sakic all GMs (Roy and Rod as coaches). Who’s the next member of Team Canada from Nagano to be an NHL GM (or again)?

For sure, I definitely don't see him being fired or removed by GM midseason, unless he legit does decide to go out for whatever reason and it's all his choice. Playoffs all but one year since he's been there. They usually reserve in-season GM firings for clowns like Jarmo, who've been running a joke operation for years, on top of making a controversial coaching hire, which led to that coach being dismissed before he could even run a training camp practice, due to him continuing his shenanigans.
If Dubas can get a 2nd GM job, anything is possible now and we know how clueless he is. It’s a country club. We’ll see a repeat as a GM somewhere new over a new face. Even coaching is just as bad when plenty of guys outside the NHL inner circle are more capable of doing the job properly.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For me that was a reaction to how overrated he was, which was based on mostly what he did in Tampa. I don't think he's overrated anymore though. A lot more people are starting to turn on him or at least questioning him.

I've always said Detroit was in such shambles when he took over in 2019 that expecting them to be a consistent playoff team before 2026 was a tall task. But he's made a lot WTF moves that I can't understand, and I don't think have them set up all that well at the moment. Some of the moves he's made in the last 3 offseasons seem primed to have the team finish anywhere between 7th and 12th in the conference. And he signs at least one brutal UFA contract every year since 2022.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You'd have to think there's a red hot seat for Fitz if the Devils tank for whatever reason
I don't know if he'll be fired for a playoff miss, but then it's definitely mandatory for him by 25-26.

When you think about it, Shero had the same playoff making rate as Fitz did coming into the 19-20 season, where he actually was an example of a GM getting fired in-season. And not one of us saw it coming. And the team was in much worse shape when Shero took over than what Fitz took over from Shero.

Shero also made way bigger mistakes heading into his final year and left some things the way they were, to the point that the season being a bust was easy to see coming. Not only did he let Hynes come into the season as head coach, but he also should have fired him 2 weeks into the season and not 8 weeks into the season. He also went into that season with Cory Schneider as one of his top-2 goalies after 3 straight years of decline and hip issues.

The equivalent of that offseason for Fitz would be doing everything he did, only letting Vitek come back for this season (maybe even Vitek and Schmid/Daws yet again) and not bringing in Markstrom, and running it back with Ruff one more time. He did none of that.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
People saying Buffalo have to understand that you can’t look at their organization through normal eyes or things that make sense. Adams was hilariously unqualified when he got the job, which he only got because the owner wanted someone who would “communicate” with him. You can take that as you want but Adams did a lot of organizational bloodletting for him and kept payroll as low as allowed most years.

So he’s done the job he was hired for perfectly well.

If they start spending like a real team and losing…then he might be in trouble. Way it sits…he bought out Skinner to save Pegula cash and hasn’t bothered to use the cap benefit.

This is how you have record long droughts.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman isn't in any trouble, even with a bad season it would be hard to see him gone before the end of the year after next. He is saying they are a fringe playoff team, he hasn't said they would be more than they are and the prospects without lottery benefits are just starting to take over the team. He rolled the entire roster outside of Larkin and his best two players outside of him are his first two selections as GM. Other fans in other markets cannot like this, honestly this off-season is the first time anybody has even said boo in Detroit. He remains fairly safe, because what he has rebuilt organizationally actually does show a ton of promise. He is going to get a couple more years before they really consider this.

Another factor here is to clean house in Detroit goes well beyond just caving one of the most popular people in city history. Are they firing Draper, Lidstrom, and other parts of the organization? It isn't just one popular guy who is a top 5 all-timer in terms of popularity in Detroit... People can say that is wrong but it is certainly a massive factor. Again personally I am not that upset with him, but he needs to start getting a little aggressive now in terms of using these assets to do more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad