First GM fired next season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
especially if stephenson and/or montour start cold/regress

and/or if they miss the playoffs.

same template as others mentioned above - a gm can't spend big in free agency, only to not take a meaningful step forward.

both blake and francis have been on the job for 5+ years, both have bubble teams that could be in tough to make the playoffs, despite making a lot of offseason moves to shake up the team.

either could be gone if their teams are out of a playoff spot at christmas.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Situation is somewhat similar to Craig Patrick loading up after the Pens won the Crosby lottery just to finish in 2nd to last place. I don’t think Hawks signings were as drastic/impactful but they sure opened their wallets which the owners care about.
It's great seeing the Hawks still suck but it also sucks that them sucking means they get high picks. One can only hope they botch it as badly as the Oilers did in a stretch where they sucked and kept drafting poorly with high picks.

I'd say the next GM fired is probably Kevyn Adams.

Honestly unless it is due to an off ice incident none. With that being said the 5 most likely imo are:

1. Blake: I see him being canned unless the Kings make the WCF/SCF
2. Adams
3. Gurien
4. Francis
5. Lou
Blake would just step down and keep his other role. Guerin isn't likely to be fired and Francis is closer to the Blake type of thing where he steps into his Sr role and Botterill takes over.

Lou? Lol. Untouchable on Long Island.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
It's great seeing the Hawks still suck but it also sucks that them sucking means they get high picks. One can only hope they botch it as badly as the Oilers did in a stretch where they sucked and kept drafting poorly with high picks.

Blake would just step down and keep his other role. Guerin isn't likely to be fired and Francis is closer to the Blake type of thing where he steps into his Sr role and Botterill takes over.

Lou is untouchable yea, but assuming another slow start maybe ownership puts the footdown. Blake and Francis I have assuming their big moves fail bad which I think will happen

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Lou is untouchable yea, but assuming another slow start maybe ownership puts the footdown. Blake and Francis I have assuming their big moves fail bad which I think will happen
I highly doubt it personally. Injuries last year was his excuse for why they didn't perform. I think he has maybe another 3-4yrs left and he won't be fired, he'll step back into a Sr role and hire his puppet.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Probably no one in-season, but Blake feels like the best bet. Cheveldayoff, Guerin, and Yzerman will have been in their jobs for over 5 years, I could see any one of them getting the boot depending on how the season goes, and Adams has pressure to make the playoffs in Buffalo.

Reactions: Colezuki

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
This is why Jeff Gorton got fired.

Dolan pretty much gave his blessing on a rebuild, but then Gorton turned around and spent almost $20m on two players and the team missed the playoffs anyway.

I feel like owners are willing to let the team go through a process, but not if that process is expensive.
Didn't gorton get fired alongside armstrong because they refused to align with Dolan's idiot letter.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Probably no one in-season, but Blake feels like the best bet. Cheveldayoff, Guerin, and Yzerman will have been in their jobs for over 5 years, I could see any one of them getting the boot depending on how the season goes, and Adams has pressure to make the playoffs in Buffalo.
Blake + the Dubois fiasco is the one that seems the most likely to me

Reactions: kilowatt

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Sources in calgary have told me that Tom Fitzgerald's job is in jeopardy because he didn't trade away Mercer+1st+Holtz for Jacob Markstrom at last years deadline

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Sources in calgary have told me that Tom Fitzgerald's job is in jeopardy because he didn't trade away Mercer+1st+Holtz for Jacob Markstrom at last years deadline

If the Devils are a bottom10 team come christmas break, it could be warranted. Unless it's because of injuries. He made a lot of big deals that need to work out.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Didn't gorton get fired alongside armstrong because they refused to align with Dolan's idiot letter.
No, that was an internet meme. Everyone with legit ties to the team has squashed that.

The thing about the Wilson incident is that the Rangers lost that game and were officially eliminated. Gorton was getting canned if they missed the playoffs.

Davidson reportedly wasn't on board with letting Gorton go so that's why he got it.

Dolan finally agreed to a rebuild which was announced with a letter in February of 2018. Season ticket sales were pretty rotten. It cost a lot of money. Gorton then spent $81.5M on Artemi Panarin in July of 2019. After that, he pretty much had two years to make the playoffs.

The immediate firing may have been due to Dolan having an emotional outburst, which may have been helped along by the Wilson thing, but Gorton was going in the summer anyway.

There's a lot wrong with Dolan, but a quick trigger isn't one of them. He let Isaish Thomas crucify the Knicks for five years. Glen Sather just finished working for the Rangers for 24 years.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I would figure, based on absolutely no evidence at all, that if ownership doesn't think he's moving fast enough, Mike Grier.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Just by having Bedard means the Hawks realistically cannot flunk out that badly.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
TNSE is locked in with Chevy and most Jets fans are really good with him. He has a tough job in that particular market and I think he has done well over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad