Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
Oh god I really hope Clarke found his balls in the AHL. That look of terror on his face from Mark Stone was the most cowardice I’ve ever seen in a long time.
What a picture, well he seem to have stood up for himself ok in the Ahl last year. I just hope the Kings brass doesn't misinterpret that pictureas as not being tough and trade him for a right handed Joe Edmundson.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
What a picture, well he seem to have stood up for himself ok in the Ahl last year. I just hope the Kings brass doesn't misinterpret that pictureas as not being tough and trade him for a right handed Joe Edmundson.
It’s an unfortunate picture but it’s a picture. He’s a kid getting grabbed by a bigger stronger man, threatening to punch his head in. Not liking that idea is a pretty normal reaction. The question is did it negatively affect his game, stop him chirping or getting into scrums. No.

Reactions: MonkeysUncle

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Don't be shocked to see some trades or waivers before the season.

The Kings essentially have too many NHL D right now.

Doughty-Anderson
Spence-Gavrikov
Spence-Edmundson

Extras: Englund, Burroughs - both are making over a 1 million on one way deals.

Also, Caleb Jones spent most of last season in the NHL.

Up front, what happens with Kayilev? Do the Kings trade him or keep him.

I would say a team like Colorado would need a player like Englund since they lost a lot of toughness in MacDermid, Duhaine and Trenin, but they have an overload of D.

Tampa has zero toughness.

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
It’s an unfortunate picture but it’s a picture. He’s a kid getting grabbed by a bigger stronger man, threatening to punch his head in. Not liking that idea is a pretty normal reaction. The question is did it negatively affect his game, stop him chirping or getting into scrums. No.
Also his face just kinda looks like that. He probably makes that face when he’s deciding what he wants at In ‘n Out.

Reactions: VILARGOD

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Doughty-Anderson
Spence-Gavrikov
Spence-Edmundson

I would say a team like Colorado would need a player like Englund since they lost a lot of toughness in MacDermid, Duhaine and Trenin, but they have an overload of D.

With Edmundson's looooooong track record of injury - he has NEVER played 70 games in a season - they will need cover for that LHD spot. With two offensive young RHDs that may need the occasional seat/rest, you need the cover in Burroughs.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they break camp carrying 8 defensemen and the only real battle is Englund vs Jones.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I've always said the crowds at Staples/Crypto were way better before the team won a Stanley Cup.

I'm not sure why, but I guess winning cups makes the fanbase less hungry/passionate.
Kings got cool. If you became a Kings fan when 99 arrived but stuck around during all of the suck that came after he left, you are pretty diehard. I think the place was still rocking through 2016 but we are 10 years removed from the last Cup. STH'ers from before the Cups age out. COVID pause probably opened some eyes to a life of not trekking up/down to see the Kings play CBJ on a Monday.

All of that to say that those are still mostly ancillary reasons compared to the real driver: the product on the ice. I know I'm part of the Caveman Crew on here, but crowds react to violence. High intensity, bad-blood fueled hockey gets a crowd going. The Kings system is poison to a fun, in-person hockey experience.

I've said it before, but one of the loudest moments from the time I had seats in 2001 until the Cup runs was against the Flyers when a hit knocked out a pane of glass, Kip Brennan then put a beating on Chris MacAllister followed by Norton v. Brashear off the ensuing faceoff. Place was electric.

The Kings do absolutely nothing to pull you into a game. It is literally sit, watch and wait for a goal or a save to cheer.
I think you'll be able to follow my thought process here....

You know how in anti-terrorism they talk about killing the head of the snake?

Robitaille is the head of the snake. He staged the coup that got Lombardi fired. He put Blake in charge. I've heard rumors that he is behind most of the dumb in game entertainment including the stupid drummers. (Apparently Luc wanted more of a soccer / La Galaxy environment at Kings games)

and I will always blame Luc from the PLD trade. He was WAY Too much of a cheerleader to not be pulling the strings on the acquiistion
Can't believe I forgot to mention the drummers. Holy shit is it embarrassing. They still bring them in from time to time and, usually, their attempts to get a "Go, Kings Go!" chant becomes the visiting team's fanbase starting a chant.
If you haven't been on twitter lately, the sentiment there basically mirrors the sentiment here/the recent front office confidence poll on the Athletic. If there are enthusiastic fans out there, they are not the terminally online ones like us.
Have Hoven's loyal listeners turned on the regime? I know some of the main official or unofficial official posters on X aren't drinking the masterclass Kool-Aid anymore, but my comment was more about the Bark Madness part of the fanbase...the part that just loves every player and wants to add a "y" or an "ie" to the end of everyone's name. "The new Mikey Anderson wallpaper is out!!".

Those of us on this board are a minority, hence the good attendance haha. I'm one of the few on here that is still part of the problem when it comes to giving them money, although that would change in an instant without the Die Hard pricing.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Can't believe I forgot to mention the drummers. Holy shit is it embarrassing. They still bring them in from time to time and, usually, their attempts to get a "Go, Kings Go!" chant becomes the visiting team's fanbase starting a chant.
They even kept the "Royal Army" and their drummers and stupid flags in an act of "we know better than the fanbase" after numerous season ticket holders threatened to end cancel. They were beyond adamant to being a soccer environment to Kings games

I loved Luc as a player but I want to waterboard Luc the executive his arrogance is getting old.

Last edited:

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
They even kept the "Royal Army" and their drummers and stupid flags in an act of "we know better than the fanbase" after numerous season ticket holders threatened to end cancel. They were beyond adamant to being a soccer environment to Kings games

I loved Luc as a player but I want to waterboard Luc the executive his arrogance is getting old.
As it has been said just you were a Great playerzdx doesn't mean you know anything about running or building a franchise, think Luc has shown that several times on and off the ice.
I have some friends in Florida and they mentioned to me that they have heard Tampa may be getting sold and at around 1.8 billion or more.
Think it might be time for Mr. Anschutz to sell time to an owner who would pay more attention to what's going on and they could bring in Actual hockey builders and at the same time make a bundle.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Oh God, you just reminded me of the stupid forced chants that they had a few seasons ago, and most of the regular fans got the Kings to put an end to that bullshit.

That was another shining example of how out of touch the people running the marketing schematics are.

Reactions: VILARGOD

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Oh God, you just reminded me of the stupid forced chants that they had a few seasons ago, and most of the regular fans got the Kings to put an end to that bullshit.

That was another shining example of how out of touch the people running the marketing schematics are.
Sorry about that bro

But that is a crime that can never be forgiven. Like New Coke or Zima

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

Doughty-Anderson
Spence-Gavrikov
Spence-Edmundson

Clarke will be in the AHL. They will keep Jones and Burroughs on the roster and do a 3 way rotation along with Spence game to game. You know this.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Doughty-Anderson
Spence-Gavrikov
Spence-Edmundson

Moverare still has some value on wiavers IMO and I could see a team like Deadmonton picking him up if they lose Broberg.

Side bar: Are you purposefully messing with me by swapping LHD and RHD? I am looking forward to seeing Spence, but having him in on the 2nd and 3rd pair is bold

Reactions: Surf Nutz

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I had flashbacks to some fan fest thing at Staples in 2013, where they filmed a bunch of us walking across the street singing We Are Los Angeles by Goon Squad. I guess they were going to use clips of it for some opening video or something. My friends and I just sang You Are My Sunshine instead, since it's the same tune.

That day was the only time I ever got to skate on the ice there and that was an amazing experience. Going into the penalty box and sitting on the benches. Then getting to go into the locker room. I was so stoked, I felt like a little kid.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA

Doughty-Anderson
Spence-Gavrikov
Spence-Edmundson

Not only do the Kings have too many D, they have too many Spences...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad