Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Should the Kings acquire Crosby?
Of course not. He turns 37 in August.
But, exactly the reason the Kings would want to acquire him.
To Luc and Bergevin, this would be 'their Gretzky to Kings' kind of thing.
Oh, but Wayne was 27....Crosby is 37.

He has 1 yr left at 8.7 Million.
What's the Pens ask?
Kempe + Clarke. You know it is. Dubas has a chance for a haul.
Does he help the Kings? Sure, but not at that price. He's still putting up 90 pts and a stud.
A leader. An icon. The Kings see a crowd draw and thousands of jerseys sold.
They will push it like Sid is the best player in the world. Would need a 2 yr extension, but they would ask for a 4 yr deal. lol

What are more palatble deals?
#1 2025, Moore, Ziemmer. I still wouldn't do it.
#1 2025, Greentree, Spence, Kaliyev (Kings dealt just drafted Gelinas the Gretzky deal)
Of course, would have prefered PLD instead!
Blake and Dubas have made several deals...and you know Luc would want this.
The Kings would be fun to watch. I'm not against, but know this will probably
not get the Kings anywhere...unless lightning strikes and it actually works.
Not giving up Kempe, Clarke or QB. I was at health south (TSC) when Crosby was on the ice in the pic...think it was 2005. Was crazy to see him when he was 16..or 17? Was amazing.

sids1.jpg

2021-22
undefined flag
Pittsburgh Penguins"C"
NHL693153843219Playoffs6281022
2022-23
undefined flag
Pittsburgh Penguins"C"
NHL82336093528
2023-24
undefined flag
Pittsburgh Penguins"C"
NHL82425294407

Last edited:
Reactions: lumbergh

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Did you place any TOI restrictions on your pts/60? Wanna know who the top 5 skaters in P/60 in the NHL are if you don't? Chibrakov, Dach, Labert, Ponamarov, Del Bel Bulluz.

Even if you want to say he is over paid, by how much? Would you like Doughty at 7 million?
Yes - i put at min 700 minutes - its in original post. I would take DD at 7m for sure

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024

What's the Pens ask?
Does he help the Kings? Sure, but not at that price. He's still putting up 90 pts and a stud.
They will push it like Sid is the best player in the world. Would need a 2 yr extension, but they would ask for a 4 yr deal. lol

#1 2025, Greentree, Spence, Kaliyev (Kings dealt just drafted Gelinas the Gretzky deal)
Not giving up Kempe, Clarke or QB. I was at health south (TSC) when Crosby was on the ice in the pic...think it was 2005. Was crazy to see him when he was 16..or 17? Was amazing.

View attachment 892440

2021-22
undefined flag
Pittsburgh Penguins"C"
2022-23
undefined flag
Pittsburgh Penguins"C"
NHL82336093528
2023-24
undefined flag
Pittsburgh Penguins"C"
NHL82425294407

No thanks, but that would be a total lucergevin move. I'd rather go after Drake Batherson and play him with Byfield and Fiala

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
If your argument is they would be a worse team in the near term, but potentially better in the long run, then I agree. Also, as a side note, I don't know what demands you are talking about, but if it is him saying he wants to win, then I have to disagree with your assessment. I hope the players on the team want to win and hate sucking, but I guess you would rather have more PLD's around.
This is exactly what i say the last 5 years.
There is no chance to win the cup with Kopitar and Doughty but we destroyed the rebuild to retool around them.
Now we are in for a new rebuild

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
DRATE.jpg

Doughty was the highest graded defensive player in the league this season.

And when you adjust for games played (50+) he's about 60th in 5v5 P/60 while having extremely difficult deployment.

He did this while playing a stupid amount of minutes (2nd most in the league).

Based on his play last year, he probably deserves to be one of the highest compensated Dmen in the league.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
DRATE.jpg

And when you adjust for games played (50+) he's about 60th in 5v5 P/60 while having extremely difficult deployment.

Based on his play last year, he probably deserves to be one of the highest compensated Dmen in the league.
I am surprised that after all these moves made by the front office that Drew actually thinks they can compete and has not gone to management and let them know that he we would be ok with moving to contender. He must be ok just finishing out his career here and not winning again.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
DRATE.jpg

Doughty plays in a defensive oriented system which is probably why you also see Mikey there. He plays so much that his zone starts are probably about average overall. He's a top 10 defensive defenseman, and bottom half offensive defenseman.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Doughty plays in a defensive oriented system which is probably why you also see Mikey there. He plays so much that his zone starts are probably about average overall.
So did you account for that when criticizing his offensive game?

bottom half offensive defenseman.
He has 102 points in the last two seasons while playing on a defensive minded team.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don’t hate doughty but I’d love for the doughty and Kopitar chapter to close. I’d rather have Clarke take his spot and potentially do it worse too for the sake of having the experience of being the number one guy. I don’t know why it’s important at this point of their career for Kopitar and doughty to still be blocking any spot at this point.

I care a lot more about Clarkes development than doughty being doughty. We have no future with doughty and Kopitar hence why I want them gone.

For transparency, they could both have career years and I would still want them gone.

Their position availability is more precious than anything that they could offer.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
OK - just saying what even 9m aav can get you.. for sure one of the best value contracts out there today. Post still stands without the comparison

100% Makar has a great contract......and a great player.....

But he hasn't accomplished half of what Doughty has...in his career.....

It's like saying Gordie Howe had one of the best contracts ever......and forgetting the salary structures of each era.....

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty plays in a defensive oriented system which is probably why you also see Mikey there. He plays so much that his zone starts are probably about average overall. He's a top 10 defensive defenseman, and bottom half offensive defenseman.

No, Mikey is up there because all of Doughty's partners end up up there. Forbort was up there. McNabb was up there. Hell, Muzzin ended up so far up there that Doughty haters tried to make him sound like the best dman in the NHL carrying Drew.

In one of those norris competing years, every d-man on the team was a full 5% better with doughty than without (in CF%--up to 65% which is absurd vs. tough comp and has diminishing returns so that 5% is insane--in other metrics, it was even higher, especially for guys like Greene who had more ground to make up)

He makes the game easy for everyone around him no matter how much this forum wants to paint him as incompetent at D/O

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

What's the Pens ask?

View attachment 892440

2021-22
undefined flag
Pittsburgh Penguins"C"
2022-23
undefined flag
Pittsburgh Penguins"C"
NHL82336093528
2023-24
undefined flag
Pittsburgh Penguins"C"
NHL82425294407

Dubas has no chance to get a haul for a 37 year old. But don't let that get in the way of blaming the Kings for something they haven't even done with other guys. They've kept old dudes, but they haven't traded for old dudes. Let alone traded something good for old dudes.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
So did you account for that when criticizing his offensive game?

He has 102 points in the last two seasons while playing on a defensive minded team.
Good point re the offense.. still I think he stifles the offense esp the rush. Can we at least agree DD never pushes play? Im not a hater.. I just think he's played too much, and is not an asset ont PP1.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
100% Makar has a great contract......and a great player.....

But he hasn't accomplished half of what Doughty has...in his career.....

It's like saying Gordie Howe had one of the best contracts ever......and forgetting the salary structures of each era.....
Doughty's contract started in 2019, Makar in 2021.. not reallly different eras.

Makar has a cup, 4 straight Norris noms, 1 trophy in 2021.. Id say he's well on his way to accomplishing more

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
The LAK media team is so shit.

Hell, July 1st teams were already releasing video interviews of their new players.

We haven't gotten anything. Like at least TRY and make me excited for our new guys.

Reactions: Maynard

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
No, Mikey is up there because all of Doughty's partners end up up there. Forbort was up there. McNabb was up there. Hell, Muzzin ended up so far up there that Doughty haters tried to make him sound like the best dman in the NHL carrying Drew.

In one of those norris competing years, every d-man on the team was a full 5% better with doughty than without (in CF%--up to 65% which is absurd vs. tough comp and has diminishing returns so that 5% is insane--in other metrics, it was even higher, especially for guys like Greene who had more ground to make up)

He makes the game easy for everyone around him no matter how much this forum wants to paint him as incompetent at D/O
Interesting.. maybe youre right. My eye test tells me he's great at shedding defenders on the breakout and settling things down.. but then rarely gets the puck up ice quickly on a rush, usually east/west passes or someone coming back to catch a pass. Thats what I notice a lot. On PP1 he doesnt create and doesnt get shots through. He does get walked a bit like Durzi did and some of the faster guys - but thats expected w age.. he was team worst -4 in the playoffs. Those are the negatives. So I guess his positives are harder to detect with the eye. Do u feel he's worth the 11mil aav?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
IMO, if Doughty (or Kopitar) want to stay, they should accept a rebuild and/or lesser role so the team can rebuild properly. If they can't, they should be traded to an environment that can accommodate their wishes.

Same should really apply to any veteran.

Just like we don't have the GMs on the ice playing hockey, players shouldn't be making calls about where the team is going.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
IMO, if Doughty (or Kopitar) want to stay, they should accept a rebuild and/or lesser role so the team can rebuild properly. If they can't, they should be traded to an environment that can accommodate their wishes.

Same should really apply to any veteran.

Just like we don't have the GMs on the ice playing hockey, players shouldn't be making calls about where the team is going.
Well this is it. Players shouldn’t be dictating Franchise strategy or their ice time. I don’t necessarily think that has happened, it’s just assumption that what Doughty’s said changed anything. IF it did that’s on BLuc not DD. I want all our players to hate losing and want the team to be better. If either of them weren’t prepared to be patient for another year or two they should have been moved, end of story.

If we want to best of DD he needs less ice-time be 2-3 minutes per night and ideally by the end of the season get Clarke on pp1 also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad