Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
FWIW I'm willing to give these new signings a fair shake, depending on how everyone (especially the youth) is uses. For all intents and purposes, Scott Thornton, Alyn McAuley, etc would have done nothing to help the team win now. If they're going to give the youth more opportunity and time, and using these guys as buoys, cool.

If they're still going with giving Kopitar and Doughty 20+ minutes, and Byfield, Clarke, etc < 15 minutes, then the team going nowhere would be an improvement to bumbling through the regular season.
The difference now is that there is nowhere else to go. How far this team goes is now on QB, Clarke, Spence and to a lesser degree Turcotte and Thomas. The all need to move the needle compared to those in their previous spots.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm usually not the reactionary type, but yesterday was such a disappointment that I'm ready to see Blake go. That was an unmitigated disaster of a day that keeps the Kings in hockey purgatory for another 3 years.

After three years of being bounced in the first round we get "we were right there". It's obvious that this team needed a change in dynamics to take them to the next level. I was hoping the Kings would either commit to letting the youngsters take over the team or blow the wad Nashville style. Instead we got Warren Foegele and Joel Edmundson. These two players are the epitome of meh. Middle six, middle pairing, two guys that take up ice time and get middling results.

About five years ago I called this team a "boring team playing boring hockey." Feels like we're right back to the same place. We just have Joel Edmundson in place of Derek Forbort.

I can only hope that Byfield and Clarke wrest the reins from Kopitar and Doughty by force, or Blake is saving his ammo for the trade deadline in February. Someone wake me up in 6 montnhs and let me know if Byfield is a point-per-game player. Help us Obi-Wan JimHiller, you're our only hope.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Let's talk about the positives.

• Darcy Kuemper/David Rittich is a better tandem than Talbot/Copley.
Rittich should be better than Copley (.870sv%) was last year. Rittich had .921 sv% last season while his previous career high was .911. Don't be surprised if he isn't as good next season.

It would take a huge resurgence for Kuemper to even match Talbot from last year. Talbot played over 50 games and despite his struggles ended with .913 sv %. Kuemper only has two seasons of at least .910 sv% while playing at least 30 games. This is something Talbot did 3 out of the last 4 seasons and 6 times in his career. The good news is Kuemper did post over .920 sv % in those two seasons 3 and 6 years ago.

I don't think the Kings will be able to match last season's team .912 sv%.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
At this point, there's no point in trying to sign a cheap UFA winger that can plug into the top 9 - Just re-sign Byfield and Spence and go into next year with some key opportunities available for young players.

I've seen a ton of mock lineups where two of Turcotte, Thomas, Fagemo, and Laferriere are placed on the 4th line... Personally, I just don't really think that works - Those guys aren't 4th line players. And to be honest, it's something many of us have complained about consistently over the last couple years. "Yeah this prospect is getting playing time but they have him on the 4th line playing 8 mins a night so they aren't even giving him a fair shot"...

Now, mainly because of Blake's incompetence - We need at least 1-2 of those 4 players (Turcotte, Thomas, Fagemo, and Laferriere) to step up and take their game to the next level. We need a right shot scoring winger - Well, here's your chance Fagemo, Laferriere, or Thomas.

Now I know we all have doubts about those 3 players - In particular, the idea that either of those 3 players can play up in the lineup / be effective enough on the PP to hold down a spot on the 1st unit... But it seems its time for trial by fire instead of sheltering prospects in the bottom 6. Maybe that's good news. I mean, isn't that something we've been begging for for years?? Legit opportunities for young players instead of signing veterans to block them.

I know many are jumping at the chance to label Laferriere as nothing more than a 3rd liner - But he has more upside than that. Maybe he can surprise and find more of a scoring touch? Or Fagemo - Maybe he finally clicks at the NHL level if given more ice time and opportunity on the PP. Thomas could surprise as well.

Byfield also needs to take another step forward, same with Spence. Clarke needs to 'arrive'. Edmundson is a bad signing - but he's not going to make or break this team... The youth will. Here's the silver lining: If this fails, Blake is 100% gone as GM and we're likely looking at a re-tool within the next 2-3 years. On the other hand, if this works and some Kings youngsters decide their ready to be impact players, the Kings will likely be a very strong team and start to emerge with a core you can think about building around.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
At this point, there's no point in trying to sign a cheap UFA winger that can plug into the top 9 - Just re-sign Byfield and Spence and go into next year with some key opportunities available for young players.

I've seen a ton of mock lineups where two of Turcotte, Thomas, Fagemo, and Laferriere are placed on the 4th line... Personally, I just don't really think that works - Those guys aren't 4th line players. And to be honest, it's something many of us have complained about consistently over the last couple years. "Yeah this prospect is getting playing time but they have him on the 4th line playing 8 mins a night so they aren't even giving him a fair shot"...

Now, mainly because of Blake's incompetence - We need at least 1-2 of those 4 players (Turcotte, Thomas, Fagemo, and Laferriere) to step up and take their game to the next level. We need a right shot scoring winger - Well, here's your chance Fagemo, Laferriere, or Thomas.

Now I know we all have doubts about those 3 players - In particular, the idea that either of those 3 players can play up in the lineup / be effective enough on the PP to hold down a spot on the 1st unit... But it seems its time for trial by fire instead of sheltering prospects in the bottom 6. Maybe that's good news. I mean, isn't that something we've been begging for for years?? Legit opportunities for young players instead of signing veterans to block them.

I know many are jumping at the chance to label Laferriere as nothing more than a 3rd liner - But he has more upside than that. Maybe he can surprise and find more of a scoring touch? Or Fagemo - Maybe he finally clicks at the NHL level if given more ice time and opportunity on the PP. Thomas could surprise as well.

Byfield also needs to take another step forward, same with Spence. Clarke needs to 'arrive'. Edmundson is a bad signing - but he's not going to make or break this team... The youth will. Here's the silver lining: If this fails, Blake is 100% gone as GM and we're likely looking at a re-tool within the next 2-3 years. On the other hand, if this works and some Kings youngsters decide their ready to be impact players, the Kings will likely be a very strong team and start to emerge with a core you can think about building around.
i don't see whatever you're seeing in laf, i see all show no go. skates hard on entry, tries to backcheck, isn't good enough at it, minus a million (given that's skating with PLD), doesn't have a top 6 kind of release, most of his goals are fluke bounces. pure coach's pet material, looks like he's doing way more than he actually is, 3rd line to the T. doesn't help that for whatever reason, he was completely immune to even the thought of waiving him and giving anyone else a chance. he was exempt until mid-april and he flatlined for huge stretches of last season

i see more value in elevating a winger with a specific talent than i see elevating a jack of all trades. i don't know who that guy is but fagemo and thomas have earned a shot. laf has been given his.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't see how there can be though. Once they sign Byfield and Spence they won't have the cap space for a significant addition from what I understand (although i am by no means an expert in cap math.)
Depends on if they get bridge deals or lock them up.

They can also opt not to have both Englund and Burroughs.

Say QB gets 1x5M and Spence gets 1x1M. And you drop Englund. You have about 4.9M to work with.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Depends on if they get bridge deals or lock them up.

They can also opt not to have both Englund and Burroughs.

Say QB gets 1x5M and Spence gets 1x1M. And you drop Englund. You have about 4.9M to work with.
i feel like bridging QB is almost insulting at this point, making him wait til all these dog UFAs are signed then opening your wallet like "hey uhhhhh yeah doesn't look like i have that much left, help me out"

just backwards business imo, he should've been priority 1 since he's your guy and your future

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
i feel like bridging QB is almost insulting at this point, making him wait til all these dog UFAs are signed then opening your wallet like "hey uhhhhh yeah doesn't look like i have that much left, help me out"

just backwards business imo, he should've been priority 1 since he's your guy and your future
Imagine how Mikey Anderson feels barely making more than Edmondson.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Remaining UFA's along with contract projections from AFP Analytics

CENTERS:
T Johnson - 1x1.7
Blackwell - 2x1.3
Cousins - 1x1.2
Gagner - 1x1.1

WINGERS:
Tarasenko - 2x4.2
Sprong - 3x4.1
Pavelski - 1x3.5
Roslovic - 3x3.1
Tatar - 1x1.6
Okposo - 1x1.6
Pacioretty - 1x1.5
Van Riemsdyk - 1x1.2

DEFENSEMEN
Schultz - 2x2.4
DeAngelo - 2x1.8
Barrie - 1x1.7
Klingberg - 1x1.6
Giordano - 1x1.5
Shattenkirk - 1x1.5

GOALIES:
Lankinen - 2x2
M Jones - 1x961K
Raanta - 1x813K

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Remaining UFA's along with contract projections from AFP Analytics

CENTERS:
T Johnson - 1x1.7
Blackwell - 2x1.3
Cousins - 1x1.2
Gagner - 1x1.1

WINGERS:
Tarasenko - 2x4.2
Sprong - 3x4.1
Pavelski - 1x3.5
Roslovic - 3x3.1
Tatar - 1x1.6
Okposo - 1x1.6
Pacioretty - 1x1.5
Van Riemsdyk - 1x1.2

DEFENSEMEN
Schultz - 2x2.4
DeAngelo - 2x1.8
Barrie - 1x1.7
Klingberg - 1x1.6
Giordano - 1x1.5
Shattenkirk - 1x1.5

GOALIES:
Lankinen - 2x2
M Jones - 1x961K
Raanta - 1x813K
kylington@notlong x dirtcheap

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Imagine how Mikey Anderson feels barely making more than Edmondson.

6 years younger, and with $17m more million guaranteed in total before he'll probably increase his contract when he's a UFA at the age of 31? Probably.not losing sleep over it.

At least you'd hope he's not, if he's as smart as we hope he is. Although he stuck around a loser organization, so, maybe he's not so smart or full of leadership.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'll believe Thomas, Turc, AK, Clarke, etc. will play and actually get meaningful minutes (not 5-9/game) and 8/11 don't get 150% of the minutes they should be getting.....when i actually see it happen.
I've seen this movie way too many times now. 8/11 play way too much. "kids" play sparingly and crap deployment (4th line, 15-20 seconds, etc.). Color me skeptical.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
kylington@notlong x dirtcheap
Yea Kylington would be a good gamble for a team. Watch Florida sign him cheap and turn him into a good top 4 guy.
Zadina looked ok when San Jose played us last year and a good team can maybe get something out of him.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
i don't see whatever you're seeing in laf, i see all show no go. skates hard on entry, tries to backcheck, isn't good enough at it, minus a million (given that's skating with PLD), doesn't have a top 6 kind of release, most of his goals are fluke bounces. pure coach's pet material, looks like he's doing way more than he actually is, 3rd line to the T. doesn't help that for whatever reason, he was completely immune to even the thought of waiving him and giving anyone else a chance. he was exempt until mid-april and he flatlined for huge stretches of last season

i see more value in elevating a winger with a specific talent than i see elevating a jack of all trades. i don't know who that guy is but fagemo and thomas have earned a shot. laf has been given his.
Well... For starters, he's 22. He was a 21 year old rookie just out of college at the start of last season.

A lot of your criticism of Laferriere could just be attributed to the fact that he's a young player who needs a little bit more time to polish his game.

He has a very good release / shot. He plays with some physicality. He (generally) makes good plays and his passing is solid. He's good along the boards and has a pretty good motor - skates well. Goes from being just under a point/game as a freshman in college to 42 points in 34 games as a sophomore.... That's really good from a development standpoint, especially for a 3rd round pick.

Then he goes from college and steps straight into the NHL and plays most of last year in the top 9 of the Kings, a playoff team. It's pretttttttty rare for a player to do that. Sure, his production wasn't amazing last year and there were times when you could clearly see some areas of his game that needed improvement but he's young (has time to improve) and also showed flashes of being a pretty damn good player last year. As he continues to develop he'll make less mistakes and start capitalizing on offensive opportunities more regularly.

So what am I seeing that you're not?? Potential.

I see a 22 year old player who has the potential to get better over the next year or two and realize that if he does improve, he could be a pretty solid winger for the Kings. I don't think that's a crazy take given the flashes we saw from him last year. For some reason, you're essentially claiming we've seen all there is to see with Laferriere and concluding that he'll always be playing at the same level he showed in his 22 year old rookie season... At the end of the day you might end up being right - But you're essentially predicting that his development just completely stops from here on out, which isn't very likely.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

They will have had discussions already, so they’d have known what the options were. It likely impacted Blake’s budget yesterday. Spence to less of a degree

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Well... For starters, he's 22. He was a 21 year old rookie just out of college at the start of last season.

A lot of your criticism of Laferriere could just be attributed to the fact that he's a young player who needs a little bit more time to polish his game.

He has a very good release / shot. He plays with some physicality. He (generally) makes good plays and his passing is solid. He's good along the boards and has a pretty good motor - skates well. Goes from being just under a point/game as a freshman in college to 42 points in 34 games as a sophomore.... That's really good from a development standpoint, especially for a 3rd round pick.

Then he goes from college and steps straight into the NHL and plays most of last year in the top 9 of the Kings, a playoff team. It's pretttttttty rare for a player to do that. Sure, his production wasn't amazing last year and there were times when you could clearly see some areas of his game that needed improvement but he's young (has time to improve) and also showed flashes of being a pretty damn good player last year. As he continues to develop he'll make less mistakes and start capitalizing on offensive opportunities more regularly.

So what am I seeing that you're not?? Potential.

I see a 22 year old player who has the potential to get better over the next year or two and realize that if he does improve, he could be a pretty solid winger for the Kings. I don't think that's a crazy take given the flashes we saw from him last year. For some reason, you're essentially claiming we've seen all there is to see with Laferriere and concluding that he'll always be playing at the same level he showed in his 22 year old rookie season... At the end of the day you might end up being right - But you're essentially predicting that his development just completely stops from here on out, which isn't very likely.
He also bought into the process and was doing what was asked of him.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad