Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Full interview with Hiller? Probably couldn't ask it straight out, but any hints/questions of system and he has full autonomy of it? Hard question to phrase without offending anyone there lol

A

That was the bit where I thought his attitude was spot on. He was talking about paying the price to win.. not being soft, perimeter players. Unfortunately he doesn’t seem to have the right guys on the roster.

Does he though? Who would you peg as a soft perimeter player? Funny....Kopitar comes to mind.....who else?

IMO, a soft perimeter player is someone who hangs out at the slot, waiting for someone to get him the puck, doesn't go into the corners, doesn't get into board play, doesn't go to the front of the net.....doesn't drive to the net....

So who would you say fits that?

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Full interview with Hiller? Probably couldn't ask it straight out, but any hints/questions of system and he has full autonomy of it? Hard question to phrase without offending anyone there lol
I think we went about 30 minutes?

I think we asked (Dooley and I) some questions with some bite and to his credit he answered them.

I feel fairly confident many of you won't LIKE some of the answers but he definitely answered them.

Yes we asked about autonomy. No he didn't give us specifics about system and frankly... I personally don't care.

I find the entire conversation about the 1-3-1 and all that sort of thing to be completely boring and overblown particularly when the GM of the team said "There is a certain desire to win that needs to be raised within our team here"

I don't know how anybody hears that and then wants to waste a bunch of breathe on occasional neutral zone alignments and the like.

It'll be available at 5am tomorrow and I hate to steal a page from the city hall playbook but...
you'll have to listen tomorrow

then what did he say?
I don't think you'll like it or agree but he definitely answered the question.

TUNE IN TOMORROW AT 5AM

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

I think we asked (Dooley and I) some questions with some bite and to his credit he answered them.

I feel fairly confident many of you won't LIKE some of the answers but he definitely answered them.

Yes we asked about autonomy. No he didn't give us specifics about system and frankly... I personally don't care.

I find the entire conversation about the 1-3-1 and all that sort of thing to be completely boring and overblown particularly when the GM of the team said "There is a certain desire to win that needs to be raised within our team here"

I don't know how anybody hears that and then wants to waste a bunch of breathe on occasional neutral zone alignments and the like.

It'll be available at 5am tomorrow and I hate to steal a page from the city hall playbook but...

TUNE IN TOMORROW AT 5AM

LOL sounds good....5am PST?

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019

Do you not see how the lack of a "desire to win" is inherently tied to a passive system, which is the very definition of playing not to lose? It starts with how the team plays. You can't just tell the players to want things extra hard. That's not how it works.

Blake can talk about players not going to the front of the net all he wants. He's not wrong. But the primary concern of the players is hustling back into a shell. The players themselves said this at the exit interviews.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

TUNE IN TOMORROW AT 5AM

Surely you can see how and why fans connect a historically uninspired and passive system with the general lethargy around the organization, right?

Like, yeah, the 1-3-1 itself is way down the list of problems, but it’s rather emblematic of the team’s overall lack of direction, don’t you think?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Here’s that desire to win bit from the press conference. A different tone from the usual stuff we’ve been hearing.

can't wait to see if he actually backs that up with action or he defaults to comfort himself

the next few contracts should make his ownership of that ideal pretty obvious

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Surely you can see how and why fans connect a historically uninspired and passive system with the general lethargy around the organization, right?

Like, yeah, the 1-3-1 itself is way down the list of problems, but it’s rather emblematic of the team’s overall lack of direction, don’t you think?
100% if they played it more than 10% of the game.....that's the issue, they don't play it as much as people play it up in here....they simply don't.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I watched the Hiller press conference. These fools are clearly shook. Anyone who gives an actual shit about cheering for a winner should be positive today.

My guess is that the fan sentiment is massively down and management is backed into the tightest corner. They have way too many questions and everything has to go perfect next season to ever even think about making a deep run.

The odds are another first round snuff out or equally missing the playoffs. Hard to fathom how this crew of incompetents survives that, but stranger things have happened.

If someone was taking the money, the chances of BLuc and the boys being around 12 months from now are historically low. Any true Kings fan should feel some real hope burning in their chests.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I blame a stale and passive locker room with ZERO leadership or on-ice accountability FAR more than a neutral zone trap that is just a variation of what most teams are using.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
I blame a stale and passive locker room with ZERO leadership or on-ice accountability FAR more than a neutral zone trap that is just a variation of what most teams are using.
The one guy Hiller went out of his way to shout out was Jacque Lemaire. If we’re not worried about the neutral zone trap, I’d suggest another look.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I watched the Hiller press conference. These fools are clearly shook. Anyone who gives an actual shit about cheering for a winner should be positive today.

My guess is that the fan sentiment is massively down and management is backed into the tightest corner. They have way too many questions and everything has to go perfect next season to ever even think about making a deep run.

The odds are another first round snuff out or equally missing the playoffs. Hard to fathom how this crew of incompetents survives that, but stranger things have happened.

If someone was taking the money, the chances of BLuc and the boys being around 12 months from now are historically low. Any true Kings fan should feel some real hope burning in their chests.
Forgive me if “hope” comes veiled in yet another wasted year in which the current regime mortgages the future with hopes of saving their jobs. It’s a dark place to be as a fan, no matter how you slice it.

Won’t build for the future, can’t win in the now. It’s a shit sammich if I have ever seen one.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Forgive me if “hope” comes veiled in yet another wasted year in which the current regime mortgages the future with hopes of saving their jobs. It’s a dark place to be as a fan, no matter how you slice it.

Won’t build for the future, can’t win in the now. It’s a shit sammich if I have ever seen one.

Won't build for the future? Sorry....did I miss a trade? Did we trade our 1st this year? What is this won't build for the future? Is that a feeling....or anything based on any kind of fact?

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC

Everyone can look back and laugh at the misery of the Roenick season with the knowledge of what happened. Or, almost everybody, minus the sad fools who still talk about Lombardi’s disasters and why he totally deserved to lose his job to morons like Luc Robitaille and Rob Blake.

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018
Ok fellas. I’m a little confused. After reading coach Hiller’s comments on the upcoming season. He said something to the fact that the Kings team wants to keep its identity. Be hard to play against. Who exactly is on the roster that fits that role?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Ok fellas. I’m a little confused. After reading coach Hiller’s comments on the upcoming season. He said something to the fact that the Kings team wants to keep its identity. Be hard to play against. Who exactly is on the roster that fits that role?

Kempe, Fiala, Byfield, Moore, Danault, Lizotte, Kopitar....etc...

Being hard to play against isn't a Matt Martin

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
We do that funny dance though after we win

I have to admit, it was odd seeing all that the first time. I’m not against it, just very different from the old roster makeup of vets to a bunch of youngins dancing around. f***, am I morphing into a lame grumpy old man?

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Won't build for the future? Sorry....did I miss a trade? Did we trade our 1st this year? What is this won't build for the future? Is that a feeling....or anything based on any kind of fact?
The heck are you on about? They traded their first round pick the last 2 years. Previous first round picks in Vilardi and Kupari. Threw away Bjornfot.
Threw away Grans and a 2nd to clean up a mistake. A second round pick in the Dubois deal. Also dealt Faber. Word is that Kaliyev wont be back. Mayor mentioned the possibility of moving Spence in a trade for a goalie. Clarke in the minors. Byfield not a center yet. Turcotte and Thomas scratched for veteran plugs.
They have been throwing away the future for years now.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The heck are you on about? They traded their first round pick the last 2 years. Previous first round picks in Vilardi and Kupari. Threw away Bjornfot.
Threw away Grans and a 2nd to clean up a mistake. A second round pick in the Dubois deal. Also dealt Faber. Word is that Kaliyev wont be back. Mayor mentioned the possibility of moving Spence in a trade for a goalie. Clarke in the minors. Byfield not a center yet. Turcotte and Thomas scratched for veteran plugs.

Threw away Bjornfoot....who hasn't played....was waived twice.....
If you are going to say they traded 2 previous 1st round picks, then they also acquired a 1st round pick, did they not?

Grans and a 2nd....where would Grans fit in?

I mean, can we start dealing with facts? Have they traded young players, YES, absolutely, But honestly if your argument is they are throwing away the future because they dealt Grans and Byfield isn't a center, I don't know what to tell you....that's a bullshit argument.

Kupari, who didn't play in WPG either, 28 games and zero in the playoffs....

For anyone to throw away the future, the players HAVE TO HAVE A FUTURE.....Bjornfot, Kupari, Kaliyev, Grans....seem not to have one. Clarke is in the minors....how in the world is that throwing away the future? Same with Turcotte/Thomas....

Reactions: kingsfan28

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

For some perspective on ownership, everyone should watch this interview with Dean starting around the 36:45 mark.

Around the 41min mark Lombardi talks about Anchutz calling him in for an annual meeting in Vegas where he would go over a check list with Dean about things he had said.

There's also a nice tidbit in there about Kovalchuk/Leiweke.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

His best year was his rookie season, he never got better. He had plenty of time to work on his game, yet didn't. He's been waived twice and is in the Florida system now, played 1 game since being claimed.

Reactions: johnjm22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad