Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
barely 25 minute presser with a f***ton of non-answers and blake practically ran out the room

sad state
Firstly no Luc was important and helpful.

There was one very interesting thing they said, which was that the players all need to be prepared to go to the tough areas and not avoid paying the price. That was 100% a problem but to call it out publicly was definitely a change in tone. A needed one, so that was important.

Hiller was never going to discuss system specifics because he’s not an idiot, plus his coaching staff is incomplete, but I definitely felt like change is a certainty. I did like what he said about how to get more from PLD albeit at a high level. At least they aren’t hiding from it and I liked the question Rob was given ‘as the person that signed him to that contract’. To be fair I was surprised at how much Blake said on the subject, even if everyone will have wanted more.

So the press conference helped me reaffirm my view on Hiller and that he will get to do it his way. That doesn’t suddenly make us contenders but they certainly gave the impression that he will get to run the team… of course that could be PR but Hiller seems a straight shooter. Still, it doesn’t mean he’s the right guy nor does it fix the roster issues.

No, it doesn't matter what the system is, if you aren't doing the fundamentals correctly, the system means f***all.....

Edmonton didn't decimate the 1-3-1, they murdered the PK......completely separate things, but again the point is, if you aren't skating, checking, passing, shooting, systems won't matter at all, and the Kings weren't doing any of those fundmentals, cohesively.
Correct. He wasn’t saying they won’t change system, he was saying they have to get the fundamentals correct first and foremost.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
That sounds like an indictment of the players and coaches. Maybe the players dont believe in the system after the lack of success.. seems like Kempe and Fiala arent bought in if they let that out during their exit interviews.
I think that was definitely the implication (they need guys to buy in and execute) although I’d say ‘players’ rather than Kempe/Fiala as both seemed fairly bought in (Fialas odd gaff not withstanding). In terms of engagement they were better than most.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Firstly no Luc was important and helpful.

There was one very interesting thing they said, which was that the players all need to be prepared to go to the tough areas and not avoid paying the price. That was 100% a problem but to call it out publicly was definitely a change in tone. A needed one, so that was important.

Hiller was never going to discuss system specifics because he’s not an idiot, plus his coaching staff is incomplete, but I definitely felt like change is a certainty. I did like what he said about how to get more from PLD albeit at a high level. At least they aren’t hiding from it and I liked the question Rob was given ‘as the person that signed him to that contract’. To be fair I was surprised at how much Blake said on the subject, even if everyone will have wanted more.

So the press conference helped me reaffirm my view on Hiller and that he will get to do it his way. That doesn’t suddenly make us contenders but they certainly gave the impression that he will get to run the team… of course that could be PR but Hiller seems a straight shooter. Still, it doesn’t mean he’s the right guy nor does it fix the roster issues.
i agree about the "the guy who signed the contract" question, it was nice that he kinda hammered that one in. i still feel like everything hiller says is him looking over his proverbial shoulder at blake with how many times "we'll have discussions" and "we will not sacrifice our identity" was preceding an answer

just reeks of blake pulling the strings to me and that doesn't make me comfortable at all with any answers from hiller. he may be a straight shooter but he also likes having a job which means doing what blake says

Reactions: Schmooley

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think that was definitely the implication (they need guys to buy in and execute) although I’d say ‘players’ rather than Kempe/Fiala as both seemed fairly bought in (Fialas odd gaff not withstanding). In terms of engagement they were better than most.
I dont think they're bought in to the system - but they are not slackers... to use an oft used phrase around here 'both can be true'

Reactions: Statto and tny760

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Never blamed Sutter for 2024 .The fiasco was the contracts being paid to 3 coaches. Sutter signed a 4 year extension at 5 + mil per, got fired the next season. AEG was on the hook paying him for 3 more years. Stevens was hired, then fired after a year and Willie D too when he replaced him. That's 3 coaches they're paying for not coaching. Then TMac was hired , paying him 5 as well. At one point they could've been paying all 4 at once. AEG likes his money, and wasn't about to hire another 4-5 mil guy for long term when they're still paying Todd. Hiller is a cheap alternative and after a few years if it isn't working, it a cheaper way out.

You specifically called out “the Sutter fiasco” and none of this other stuff in your original post.

It just struck me as more doublespeak nonsense from you in which the Lombardi regime is somehow to blame for Blake and Luc’s catastrophic failures 8 years later.

This is the team you deserve, champ.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
While I find the hiring boring and uninspiring, I'm willing to give Hiller a chance.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
“We wur right there, I look et McDavid right in de face in the lockers, I told him I have a poster above my desk, and it says passion pride family and that nothing comes between a man and his family. He looked at me with a smirk and caressed my silver hair and said ‘maybe next year Unlucky Luc’. Blakey was right there and he restrained me with tears rolling down our faces, as I screamed at him with the distance widening between us ‘I will get you Connor we wur right there’, I screamed calmly while holding my Kopitar poster with Rob Blake’s autograph signed over the photo saying ‘surfs up luc’. Next year we will continue to improve. We got eliminated in 5 this year but I believe we can do et in four next year”.

-Luc Robitaille

That was the press conference. Saved you guys some time.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Also I truly admire the Stockholm syndrome among the many of you

“I’m willing to give Hiller a chance”

What part of the 1-3-1 down 2-3 goals with 2-3 minutes left in the third period, inspired confidence in you guys? Lol

How quickly you guys forget lmaooooo

Dude might be good at PP but he doesn’t know shit as Hc. Any man running Lewis and Lizzo down goals running 1-3-1 near the end of the game deserves no more rope.

Hes an idiot. And im disappointed that some of you have either had so much trauma that you’ve blocked out his coaching methods or you have Stockholm syndrome thinking he will change while he continues to use your face as a punching bag.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That sounds like an indictment of the players and coaches. Maybe the players dont believe in the system after the lack of success.. seems like Kempe and Fiala arent bought in if they let that out during their exit interviews.

100% it is, if you aren't playing with heart, WTF are you doing out there....and WTF cares if they "buy in" you still play.....the whole "buy in" is a copout

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Also I truly admire the Stockholm syndrome among the many of you

“I’m willing to give Hiller a chance”

What part of the 1-3-1 down 2-3 goals with 2-3 minutes left in the third period, inspired confidence in you guys? Lol

How quickly you guys forget lmaooooo

Dude might be good at PP but he doesn’t know shit as Hc. Any man running Lewis and Lizzo down goals running 1-3-1 near the end of the game deserves no more rope.

Hes an idiot. And im disappointed that some of you have either had so much trauma that you’ve blocked out his coaching methods or you have Stockholm syndrome thinking he will change while he continues to use your face as a punching bag.
Hiller is the least of my worries. The players assembled, contracts signed, and system put in place by management is the real issue.
Berube maybe could have squeezed a little more passion from the players but he signed on with Toronto.
If Blake stayed the course and didnt blow his wad on mediocrity hed have the assets and cap to after a guy like Brady Tkachuk along with Byfield coming into his own (and 2022/2023 top picks they would have had) and Clarke and Faber ready to take over the d corps.
Instead of building a team with an identity they put together players to be cogs Blake and Lucs system.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Hiller is the least of my worries. The players assembled, contracts signed, and system put in place by management is the real issue.
Berube maybe could have squeezed a little more passion from the players but he signed on with Toronto.
If Blake stayed the course and didnt blow his wad on mediocrity hed have the assets and cap to after a guy like Brady Tkachuk along with Byfield coming into his own (and 2022/2023 top picks they would have had) and Clarke and Faber ready to take over the d corps.
Instead of building a team with an identity they put together players to be cogs Blake and Lucs system.
I know Hiller is the least of the worries, however I take issue with people being "ok" with this just because everything else sucks. That kind of mentality is how you get stuck in continual pile of shit. If this becomes your Ok bar then it wont be hard to find it again.

Hiller is ass, and everyone else is ass too. Hate it all and its justified.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I had a chance to talk to Jim Hiller after the press conference for All The Kings Men and asked that very question.

Available tomorrow morning.
Ooh let me give it a shot.

*Jim Hiller voice*

"I'm not going to get into the details of it, but we've made progress throughout the season and think we know what it is that we need to get there and Rob and I will be working together to take a look at all of that next season."

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Ooh let me give it a shot.

*Jim Hiller voice*

"I'm not going to get into the details of it, but we've made progress throughout the season and think we know what it is that we need to get there and Rob and I will be working together to take a look at all of that next season."
Nope.

Jun 30, 2006
There was a moment where Blake acted weird and started talking about people needing to be “uncomfortable”. Total 180 from the previous press conference of being family and having Christmas gatherings talk.

“We need to be uncomfortable and it starts….right now!” WTF was that?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
They doubled down on "We were right there" :laugh: f*** me, this management is way delusional. I really hope Jim doesn't really believe that and that he was made to say that.
Yeah. I think that’s an attempt at supporting Luc as he didn’t seem to believe what he was saying.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
A
There was a moment where Blake acted weird and started talking about people needing to be “uncomfortable”. Total 180 from the previous press conference of being family and having Christmas gatherings talk.

“We need to be uncomfortable and it starts….right now!” WTF was that?
That was the bit where I thought his attitude was spot on. He was talking about paying the price to win.. not being soft, perimeter players. Unfortunately he doesn’t seem to have the right guys on the roster.

Reactions: David Lunch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad