Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I know we've been mentioning his name in passing but Ryan Johansen makes Pierre Luc Dubois look like Adam Deadmarsh
Whoa now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

PLD still has plenty of time of underperform. He's only 26. RyJo is 32.

It wouldn't surprise me if PLD is on his last NHL contract.

Ironically, both guys were top 5 picks by CBJ.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
PS if any of you dorks start climaxing over training camp over some random ass players who will never be anything. You will go 1 on 1 with the undertaker.

We will surely see a tweet soon from Pravda with exactly something like this. Two years ago it was a tweet about Turcotte looking great in workouts, and something about "doubt him at your own risk" or some BS like that. Last year it was pushing the Laf train like crazy, "by the end of the year everyone will know how good he is"

We should take bets over who this years bottom six overhype will be, my money is on Andre Lee, who he has been enamored with for awhile.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
We will surely see a tweet soon from Pravda with exactly something like this. Two years ago it was a tweet about Turcotte looking great in workouts, and something about "doubt him at your own risk" or some BS like that. Last year it was pushing the Laf train like crazy, "by the end of the year everyone will know how good he is"

We should take bets over who this years bottom six overhype will be, my money is on Andre Lee, who he has been enamored with for awhile.
I’m sick and tired of seeing people getting hyped over nobodies becoming somebodies. People
On here were acting as if Moverare was going to be Lidstrom

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I’m sick and tired of seeing people getting hyped over nobodies becoming somebodies. People
That’s the infection of listening to Hoven. People
Buy the hype of someone who gets hard off a warm breeze. Quit listening to the marketing team and just start trusting your eyes and what is real.

Reactions: dman3474 and Sol

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
There is nobody that said anything more than Moverare having a good chance of becoming an NHL player. This is absurd.

And what's wrong with people getting excited about certain players? The growth and journey is exactly why I follow prospects closely. The knowledge that some will rise despite the odds against them is pretty f***ing cool. Alec Martinez was once a fourth round pick who played 3 years at University of Miami-Ohio. Six years later, he scores the Stanley Cup winning goal in double overtime.

Jordan Nolan was a 7th round pick who would be lucky to get an NHL game. He worked hard enough in the AHL that, three years after being drafted, he'd be called up onto the Kings and win the cuo with them a few months later.

It's the dying hope of a lost causethat makes his future success meaningful, or bring out energy for the current hopefuls as they approach their own crossroads.

You don't have to like it. But you might want to mute those of you interested in tbe growing stories.

That’s the infection of listening to Hoven. People
Buy the hype of someone who gets hard off a warm breeze. Quit listening to the marketing team and just start trusting your eyes and what is real.
Plenty of Hoven's listeners think for themselves. Plenty post on here. And it apparently includes those who pretend to listen to him and obsess over every opportunity to throw ignorant, simplistic snark despite him being the only other source aside from Jesse who provides offseason Kings content.

The irony is most of the talk about Hoven comes from the latter half. Feel free to do a count of people who treat his word as gospel. You probably won't find many (including myself).

He just has a base of loyal listeners who digest what he provides along with what other sources provide. They're appreciated. Just because he hypes up certain players he loves doesn't mean his audience just dumbly drools and nods. Have you considered talking to them?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Plenty of Hoven's listeners think for themselves. Plenty post on here. And it apparently includes those who pretend to listen to him and obsess over every opportunity to throw ignorant, simplistic snark despite him being the only other source aside from Jesse who provides offseason Kings content.

The irony is most of the talk about Hoven comes from the latter half. Feel free to do a count of people who treat his word as gospel. You probably won't find many (including myself).

He just has a base of loyal listeners who digest what he provides along with what other sources provide. They're appreciated. Just because he hypes up certain players he loves doesn't mean his audience just dumbly drools and nods. Have you considered talking to them?

I’ve said before and I’ll say again, at a personal level I like Hoven. He helped me out with something without knowing me other than that I was a Kings fan that listened to his pod. That was enough of a reason and he helped me without getting anything in return other than my thanks. He’s a decent human being and at the very least I think should be respected as such.

Do I agree with all his takes? No. Do I like all his show segments? No (numerology bores me to death). Do I like his music bits? Occasionally. He also acknowledges he has an outlook that always leans to the positive. So, if you listen, you don't have to agree with him,(I stopped listening for a bit tbh) but I do find some of the more personal attacks to be unfair and certainly unnecessary. Whilst I don’t like the way they criticise Twitter users, it’s not at anyone specific (on the pod at least), and let’s face it Twitter is a pit anyway. Any debate on there always ends badly.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
There is nobody that said anything more than Moverare having a good chance of becoming an NHL player. This is absurd.

And what's wrong with people getting excited about certain players? The growth and journey is exactly why I follow prospects closely. The knowledge that some will rise despite the odds against them is pretty f***ing cool. Alec Martinez was once a fourth round pick who played 3 years at University of Miami-Ohio. Six years later, he scores the Stanley Cup winning goal in double overtime.

Jordan Nolan was a 7th round pick who would be lucky to get an NHL game. He worked hard enough in the AHL that, three years after being drafted, he'd be called up onto the Kings and win the cuo with them a few months later.

It's the dying hope of a lost causethat makes his future success meaningful, or bring out energy for the current hopefuls as they approach their own crossroads.

You don't have to like it. But you might want to mute those of you interested in tbe growing stories.

I was being a bit hyperbolic with Moverare Lidstrom comparison obviously, however it’s just bizarre to me that people give a f*** to even hype up prospects anymore. What’s the point? Fagemo, nothing, Kaliyev doesn’t even have permission to play, Clarke gets canned for being good last year, and you have people thirsting over Chromiak randomly last year or whenever. Just examples off the top of my head. The organization sucks, the prospects at best are mediocre as a whole, why on earth does anyone give a shit over training camp? Nobodies being nobodies and somebodies being treated like nobodies. None of it matters. I’m not directing this at you since I know writing is your profession, I’m just talking to the general board when I say expect nothing at minimum and expect nothing at maximum. Our board would be spending time more wisely learning how to grow crops on the lunar surface than wasting their time over prospects

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
As always it's the tone, and the shots at people, which greatly increased as a large majority of the fanbase predictably turned on Blake do the the awful decisions and thus the offer results.

"Some pharmacy tech in his basement thinks they know more than Rob Blake"

It's always the same script

1. Make a positive but ultimately poor take on something to do with the Kings, taking a shot at those who have an opposite one in the process.

2. After said take predictably goes up in smoke, rather than admitting the take was poor, and that a large part of the fanbase was correct, we see shots questioning peoples fandom (which also happens here with people like Axl)

Being positive and being consistently wrong about said positive takes doesn't make you a better or more die-hard fan, it just makes you consistently wrong on your takes.

Last edited:

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
This may be a topic for another thread, but I was reading a thread on the main board and was reminded that Neal Broten briefly played for the Kings. I knew that he did and remember when the trade went down, but I'm wondering what other players I forgot played for the Kings.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
This may be a topic for another thread, but I was reading a thread on the main board and was reminded that Neal Broten briefly played for the Kings. I knew that he did and remember when the trade went down, but I'm wondering what other players I forgot played for the Kings.

Petr Klima​

Reactions: Herby

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
My favorite Rick Tocchet.

Cliff Ronning
Anson Carter
Mark Parrish
Shane Churla

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah

I stopped listening to him 2 years ago…. other than what I see reposted here. He over sensationalizes kings draft picks to a completely unrealistic level and passes it off as gospel. There are probably a list of 15 top 6 forwards that were “the future” of the kings over the last 5 years.

I don’t think he’s a malicious guy or anything he’s just wrong 90% of the time.

I’m saying his eye tests for prospects isn’t near what he sells. Just calling it out. He’s honestly probably right less than half of the posters on this board because he co-signs his own bullshit and will never admit he was wrong.

It’s cool you guys are buddies I’m just saying he has the credibility of a broken clock in terms of talent assessment.

He gets scoops but to be honest these days he’s got a record closer to lockout Eklund than prime Bob McKenzie like he pretends to be.

The only reason that fire gets any oxygen is because he is a broken stick in the middle of the desert in terms of media coverage in LA.

Just not a fan of his work. He also comes off as a douchebag in his personal antidotes and attacks on fans who call out his whoppers. Definitely way less of a assclown than Bernstein though.

Tell me in all honestly his talent assessment has a better than 10% hit rate with a straight face.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I stopped listening to him 2 years ago…. other than what I see reposted here. He over sensationalizes kings draft picks to a completely unrealistic level and passes it off as gospel. There are probably a list of 15 top 6 forwards that were “the future” of the kings over the last 5 years.

I don’t think he’s a malicious guy or anything he’s just wrong 90% of the time.

I’m saying his eye tests for prospects isn’t near what he sells. Just calling it out. He’s honestly probably right less than half of the posters on this board because he co-signs his own bullshit and will never admit he was wrong.

It’s cool you guys are buddies I’m just saying he has the credibility of a broken clock in terms of talent assessment.

He gets scoops but to be honest these days he’s got a record closer to lockout Eklund than prime Bob McKenzie like he pretends to be.

The only reason that fire gets any oxygen is because he is a broken stick in the middle of the desert in terms of media coverage in LA.

Just not a fan of his work. He also comes off as a douchebag in his personal antidotes and attacks on fans who call out his whoppers. Definitely way less of a assclown than Bernstein though.

Tell me in all honestly his talent assessment has a better than 10% hit rate with a straight face.
My biggest issues is with looping in his fans as if they are incapable of thinking.

I get it - there's sometimes a presentation that can escalate opinions towards him. Fans find his callouts hilarious. Detractors find him grating. And as he provides more content, the divide can widen.

I've frankly given up trying to change minds on people liking him. Not that it's a lost cause - but I've just said my piece enough. Those who like him will like him. Those who won't, won't.

But it's reached a point where there's virtually nobody saying "Mayor said this, so it must be true", but the moment there's an opportunity to tie him in to being the spinster, the detractors will turn the dialogue into imagining him trying to pump up the most mundane and inane arguments. And suddenly he's become the focal point of the criticism.

As for his eye for talent? It's hit and miss. I'm not certain, but I'm guessing some of his excitement coincides with what he hears from scouts and others he speaks to. I'm trying to think of when he's provided his own opinions in articles when writing about prospects (and made it clear), and I can't. I think he defers more to those with more experience.

So, how good is his eye for talent? Because I can't recall any instance he specifically refers to mechanics or personal style of play, I can't answer.

I do know offhand, two players whose tires he pumped for a long time were Mikey Anderson and JAD. JAD didn't work out, but Anderson seems to have worked out. He's transparent about Lee's growing skill to go with his size - I don't have his optimism on Lee. But he's also very hopeful of Slukynsky, in which I do.

As far as his predictions versus others on this board, very few offer substantive, in-depth opinions on this board. Which isn't a knock on the posters here - they either haven't seen the prospects play until they hit the AHL, or they rely on what media is available. Or they have posters tell them that they're not allowed to get excited about "nobodies." So, I'm not going to compare Hoven's record to other posters.

There are definitely knowledgable ones, but we had most of the board ready to give up on Vilardi three seasons ago and Byfield one season ago. So, I think the average poster here has quite a generous share of misses here we don't dwell on nearly as much as we'd like. And, of course, that includes me. I thought JAD and Kaliyev would be playing more meaningful hockey, just as two examples. I thought Turcotte would be playing more by now, but I'm giving myself a pass due to injuries.

I just think you're projecting your dissatisfaction with Hoven onto his fans. We're all Kings fans and we enjoy different facets. Just because people enjoy Hoven doesn't mean they're incapable of individual thought. Just like many of his non-fans.

Edit: anyway, thanks for listening. Sorry to go on a rant. I hope we provide content where you eventually enjoy it at some capacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad