Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

NHL front-office confidence rankings, 2024​

Screenshot-2024-08-05-at-10.20.46%E2%80%AFAM.png

Kings' front office ranks 31st.
This is what AEG had Rob do after reading that article. So dont say there isnt accountability within this org.

1722973593003.png

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The team is printing money, so fan sentiment is clearly in favor of the on ice product. What I’ve come to grip with is the reality of the situation. The front office is beholden to the bottom line period.

The two wild cards are TV dollars and attendance. Most likely ownership can ride these out, but there are serious headwinds for both those areas.

AEG used to be a real estate company first and foremost. It has turned into an events company first and foremost in DTLA. Tv and tickets keep the lights on. So the life line is overall gate receipts.

The Kings ROI is subsidized by the NBA and concerts. Soon the Clippers will depart, so those dollars need to come from somewhere, most likely existing resources.

Bottom line is that fans are just one piece of the equation. So don’t count on regime change just because the roster looks worse on paper. Dan Beckerman is too busy booking events to pay attention to what Luc and Rob are up to.

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
The team is printing money, so fan sentiment is clearly in favor of the on ice product.
And this is where the real deception lies.

The team is printing money because it's L.A.
The TV money is coming in because it's a huge market area with millions of people.
The Stadium i always sold out because L.A. is a huge tourist attraction, every time i go to a live game, i see more opponents jerseys than Kings attire.
People just love to combine a vacation trip with a hockey game of their own team.

I would propose a test, we move the Kings to Sandusky, Ohio and see what happens to the revenue.
Clearly the on ice product will satisfy any fan and encourage buying from the fan shop.
I think i speak for many, many people saying that i always wanted to own a Tanner Jeanott fan jersey

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Pretty much what many of us expected the day Bluc took over. Basically pissed away nearly a decade of our fandom.
What about the over 100 points RS we had and three straight playoffs?!? I don't know where my Kings fandom would be now and the rest of my life without such glorious triumphs!
(Yes, that's sarcasm).

bland

Jul 1, 2004
They have done a good job of selling the idea of progress over the past few years, reigning and defending champions of the offseason. So much so that when Dubois blew up in their face and the team took a swan dive midyear that all but the most delusional finally realized that the problems weren't just a bunch of pessimists bitching and moaning.

The problems here started a long time ago, but the goodwill of the Cup years and presence of former heroes let a lot of folks who don't or don't want to project the longterm effects of poor planning ride out a few lean years.

It appears that reality has set in.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And this is where the real deception lies.

The team is printing money because it's L.A.
The TV money is coming in because it's a huge market area with millions of people.
The Stadium i always sold out because L.A. is a huge tourist attraction, every time i go to a live game, i see more opponents jerseys than Kings attire.
People just love to combine a vacation trip with a hockey game of their own team.

I would propose a test, we move the Kings to Sandusky, Ohio and see what happens to the revenue.
Clearly the on ice product will satisfy any fan and encourage buying from the fan shop.
I think i speak for many, many people saying that i always wanted to own a Tanner Jeanott fan jersey

was basically going to be my response

they're not making money because of die hard fan support

they're making money because they've carefully curated 'something to do' and a place to be seen for celebs with loud bullshit in-game events where the on-ice product is a sideshow and the 'average fan' in attendance doesn't care about the dogshit home record because gosh darnit i had fun taking selfies with my 24 dollar seltzers

good on them for making money, but they've alienated the everliving shit out of many many die hard fans of decades.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ownership cares about winning. The front office was retained because ownership is patient and thinks you need to give management time through the ups and downs.

But I feel pretty confident in saying patience is running thin.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
how do you have Fiala and Faber?
Gave the Wild Grans and a 1st instead of Faber and a 1st - I'm the best GM dude :cool:

Edit: I'm just playing of course. You're right that they probably wouldn't have been able to acquire Fiala without giving up Faber (or maybe Clarke). Which then kinda creates another problem.. Without Fiala that hypothetical forward group is definitely lacking some firepower - Sure, the defense would've been fantastic but the forward group would definitely still need help IMO.

Subbing in Iafallo in this hypothetical instead of Fiala and you lose a lottttttt of skill.
Foegele - Kopitar - Kempe
Iafallo - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Danault - Lafferiere
Jeannot - Turcotte - Thomas

Anderson - Doughty
Clarke - Faber
Gavrikov - Spence

Ultimately though that original post was just me trying to have a little fun with the idea of 'what if the Kings hadn't shot themselves in the foot a couple times over the last couple years - how might this roster look'? But there'd still be questions even with that hypothetical roster

Last edited:
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Gave the Wild Grans and a 1st instead of Faber and a 1st - I'm the best GM dude :cool:

Edit: I'm just playing of course. You're right that they probably wouldn't have been able to acquire Fiala without giving up Faber (or maybe Clarke). Which then kinda creates another problem.. Without Fiala that hypothetical forward group is definitely lacking some firepower - Sure, the defense would've been fantastic but the forward group would definitely still need help IMO.

Subbing in Iafallo in this hypothetical instead of Fiala and you lose a lottttttt of skill.
Foegele - Kopitar - Kempe
Iafallo - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Danault - Lafferiere
Jeannot - Turcotte - Thomas

Anderson - Doughty
Clarke - Faber
Gavrikov - Spence

Ultimately though that original post was just me trying to have a little fun with the idea of 'what if the Kings hadn't shot themselves in the foot a couple times over the last couple years - how might this roster look'? But there'd still be questions even with that hypothetical roster

Fiala was the right move and Guerin was shipping him elsewhere if he didn't get Faber.

Plenty of room for criticism in other moves, don't be a Herby!

Cry all you want but Jeep has it right about how AEG is working.

And Blake could be up next Summer as Luc and Beckerman's fall guy.

I am most excited about seeing if Hiller can fortify the lineup with young guys , establish Fiala and Byfield as a pair, along with Kopitar and Kempe , Moore and Danault.

A little confused about how the defense shakes out.

Clarke could be in Ontario again until closer to the deadline with Gavri and Englu expiring.

Most everyone on here is insignificant and collectively we are all talking to the wall.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Has anyone heard about the arena renovations? Phase 3 is supposed to be complete before the season starts. One of those plans was to completely connect LA Live to the arena, that means no more Chick Hearn Court.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Has anyone heard about the arena renovations? Phase 3 is supposed to be complete before the aeaaon starts. One of those plans was to completely connect LA Live to the arena, that means no more Chick Hearn Court.

If you go to the stadium now there's a lot of construction work going on on the main concourse. If you've been up on the upper concourse, they're basically redoing the Main concourse to match the upper concourse. Renovating the bathrooms and flooring basically.

Also that terrace that overlooked LA Live on the Upper Concourse is being converted into another premium seating area from section 324ish-329ish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad