Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Here's how things could look if the Kings decide to go after a big name like Jake Guentzel:
kings-get-guentzel.PNG

In this scenario, I've signed Byfield to a bridge deal at $5.5m for 3 years. Spence is also signed to a bridge deal, coming in at $2.5m for 2 years. I've essentially given Guenztel the Dubois contract in this scenario (8 years at $8.5m AAV) but in this scenario you technically have another $500k in cap space if you really wanted to go to $9m AAV for Guentzel although that's quite pricey.

Trenin and Duhaime are signed as bottom 6 fillers for 2-3 year, $2m AAV contracts.

Maybe the money is better spent on a LHD but this would be a pretty damn intriguing lineup for next season.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
QB is not playing 1st line center guys, like let's be realistic here. at best if he even GETS to play center for this team, he's behind kopitar and danault. this is an NHL coach with playoff directives we're talking about here
I hope hes gonna grab the bull by the horns this year. Hiller starts him at 3c but hes so commanding on the ice that he plays his way into becoming the guy the coach needs to lean on in any situation to win.
Really though Kopitar probably requested Byfield on his wing and thats where he will be no matter what.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I hope hes gonna grab the bull by the horns this year. Hiller starts him at 3c but hes so commanding on the ice that he plays his way into becoming the guy the coach needs to lean on in any situation to win.
Really though Kopitar probably requested Byfield on his wing and thats where he will be no matter what.
like yeah, don't get me wrong, i hope he does too but he's not starting there against the mcdavid/draisaitls of the league. that would be developmental suicide

he got a taste playing on the wing, now he needs to learn how to be an NHL center before he's up against the best. realistically, he should've opened this season as the long-term 3C but that whole PLD thing..

Reactions: Schmooley

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Here's how things could look if the Kings decide to go after a big name like Jake Guentzel:
View attachment 887054

In this scenario, I've signed Byfield to a bridge deal at $5.5m for 3 years. Spence is also signed to a bridge deal, coming in at $2.5m for 2 years. I've essentially given Guenztel the Dubois contract in this scenario (8 years at $8.5m AAV) but in this scenario you technically have another $500k in cap space if you really wanted to go to $9m AAV for Guentzel although that's quite pricey.

Trenin and Duhaime are signed as bottom 6 fillers for 2-3 year, $2m AAV contracts.

Maybe the money is better spent on a LHD but this would be a pretty damn intriguing lineup for next season.
I love this roster.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Jake Guentzel?!??!?!

5'10, 180lbs, ANOTHER left shot forward, not physical, almost 30, will command 8-9.5M.

HELLLL NOOOooOOooooO
He was over PPG on Carolina and has performed in playoffs.. proves it wasnt just his deployment in Pitt. This is a guy I'd like to sign if the team was on the ascendant which it most definitely is not. So agree hell no. And if Im Guentzel why would I come to an org that is clearly dysfunctional vs CAR which is better positioned and much healthier org. Heard rumor he already got offered an 8 yr deal something no way should the Kings try to beat which is only way he comes to this dumpster fire.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
He was over PPG on Carolina and has performed in playoffs.. proves it wasnt just his deployment in Pitt. This is a guy I'd like to sign if the team was on the ascendant which it most definitely is not. So agree hell no. And if Im Guentzel why would I come to an org that is clearly dysfunctional vs CAR which is better positioned and much healthier org. Heard rumor he already got offered an 8 yr deal something no way should the Kings try to beat which is only we he comes to this dumpster fire.
He's the kind of player I'd want if Adrian Kempe and Kevin Fiala didn't exist.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's funny that after the offseason we've had for the last 3 years or so, some people are still clamoring for a big forward free agent signing.

It's the same brain disease that's infected management.
While I want neither, I'd prefer a free agent signing than trading another 1st + prospect for some band aid.

Reactions: Schrute farms

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
That's conjecture, not fact.
Blake could take his time, observe how the kids fit into the roster & then fill the holes. He could go out & try for another big name!!! Which one seems like the more likely Blake choice?

Taking a step back & seeing how things shake out is the better idea. Don't see Blake making that choice.

Turcotte, Björnfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo
I don't want Blake anywhere near the next rebuild. Between drafting, development & integration in the NHL, Blake is a complete disaster. Hope he trades the first this week. What's the point of him even showing up to the draft.

Cal dumped to Philly (5M backup)
Dubious brought in
Dubious glued to JAD
Coach fired
Dubious dumped for Kuemper who we all hope isn't another $5,000,000 backup.

This guy is going to sit back & have a think on things? :laugh: & monkeys might fly out of

What was Kuemper's goals saved above expected last year?

Reactions: BaileyFan

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
The Caps finally won the cup when they had to fill out the roster with young guys and cheap veteran role players because of cap space.

This would be best for the Kings. Young players either prosper and the Kings have the cap space to lock up the new core or they struggle their way to a better pick and new front office.

I realize Blake will get in his own way and do something irrational in the next two weeks so you don't have to mention it.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
[..]

I realize Blake will get in his own way and do something irrational in the next two weeks so you don't have to mention it.
This is one of the hardest things to predict. Just how will Blake shoot himself in the nuts again. The obvious first thing would be a long Roy contract.. whats next? Move the 1st and 34 for a non-move-the-needle player and extend him 8 years.. but who?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Blake could take his time, observe how the kids fit into the roster & then fill the holes. He could go out & try for another big name!!! Which one seems like the more likely Blake choice?

Taking a step back & seeing how things shake out is the better idea. Don't see Blake making that choice.

Turcotte, Björnfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo
I don't want Blake anywhere near the next rebuild. Between drafting, development & integration in the NHL, Blake is a complete disaster. Hope he trades the first this week. What's the point of him even showing up to the draft.

Cal dumped to Philly (5M backup)
Dubious brought in
Dubious glued to JAD
Coach fired
Dubious dumped for Kuemper who we all hope isn't another $5,000,000 backup.

This guy is going to sit back & have a think on things? :laugh: & monkeys might fly out of

What was Kuemper's goals saved above expected last year?

Well thank you for proving my point, like I said, it's conjecture, opinion, what you think is going to happen....

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Well thank you for proving my point, like I said, it's conjecture, opinion, what you think is going to happen....
Well, your opinion of what should happen is probably the correct move, but it is your opinion & nothing we've seen from Blake makes me think he'll make the correct decision.

For me, if Blake misses the playoffs or doesn't improve he needs to be fired. He has failed at one rebuild, on his 4th coach, blown through most of his assets.

With the team aging it's really close to a full on teardown Blake needs to go before that. If he's not fired, I'm not wasting my time on watching Blake rebuild a second time.

That's my opinion. The problem for the King's is how many people share that opinion.

Reactions: tigermask48

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
It's funny that after the offseason we've had for the last 3 years or so, some people are still clamoring for a big forward free agent signing.

It's the same brain disease that's infected management.
i think there are forwards available in the arvidsson-type vein who can contribute but also be part of the team through a rebuild if this team can't get over the hump

i would just as readily sit on my hands and refuse to sign anyone, but i think this is a team that's going to spend to the cap this season so those dollars "have to" go somewhere

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well, your opinion of what should happen is probably the correct move, but it is your opinion & nothing we've seen from Blake makes me think he'll make the correct decision.

For me, if Blake misses the playoffs or doesn't improve he needs to be fired. He has failed at one rebuild, on his 4th coach, blown through most of his assets.

With the team aging it's really close to a full on teardown Blake needs to go before that. If he's not fired, I'm not wasting my time on watching Blake rebuild a second time.

That's my opinion. The problem for the King's is how many people share that opinion.

Oh I don't think it's what's going to happen either, it's what should have happen, but should and going very seldom meet, I think he signs Toffoli, resigns Roy....etc.

As far as blowing through most his assets, no...not even close,

The team aging....well.....Danault, Kopitar, and Doughy, absolutely, and Kuemper now.....that's 4 players out of 23.....how many others are over 30?

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
While I want neither, I'd prefer a free agent signing than trading another 1st + prospect for some band aid.
I just hope no band aids. Play the kids. Unless some fantastic deal falls in our lap that can’t be ignored. Like a true left pairing top pairing young Dman.

Reactions: King'sPawn

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Oh I don't think it's what's going to happen either, it's what should have happen, but should and going very seldom meet, I think he signs Toffoli, resigns Roy....etc.

As far as blowing through most his assets, no...not even close,

The team aging....well.....Danault, Kopitar, and Doughy, absolutely, and Kuemper now.....that's 4 players out of 23.....how many others are over 30?
It might not be as much of how many over 30 we have as much as who it is.

Our #1 and #2 centers, our #1 Dman and our #1 goalie and #2 (backup or 1B). So basically our whole backbone.

Then our secondary scorers like Moore is 29, and Kempe and Fiala are already 27.

Scary thought that this team ages out and wastes precious years trying to surround the future with the talent they will need

Reactions: FSL KINGS

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It might not be as much of how many over 30 we have as much as who it is.

Our #1 and #2 centers, our #1 Dman and our #1 goalie and #2 (backup or 1B). So basically our whole backbone.

Then our secondary scorers like Moore is 29, and Kempe and Fiala are already 27.

Scary thought that this team ages out and wastes precious years trying to surround the future with the talent they will need

Every team goes through this, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Tampa is going through it now, it's the cycle of sports,

We have Byfield, and Clarke, to replace Kopitar/Doughty, now can they, probably not, but there ain't much in the league who can.....Goaltending, I said it when they got Keumper, they kicked it down the road a bit, I'd be surprised if they didn't target goaltending with the picks they have, or trade the 1st to get more depth etc....

As far as secondary scorers, that's why the right move, is to do nothing this year, not in the summer, get to camp, see who stands out, then make a move if you still think you need to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad