Fire Briere

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
He did not draft best available player because he is not tall enough? We are talking what 1 inch difference? Briere who is 5'8 actually said that?

what kind of reason is this?

We are trying to draft and rebuuild and we do this?

Briere isn’t in charge of shit imo

The same as Fletcher. This thing is run by a lot of different voices, as the trends are as old as time itself.

Maybe I’ll take a peek for it but I remember a GM turning down the job with the proposed power structure before Danny was hired.

This doesn’t absolve Danny, but he’s doing what the group wants.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Flyers and bad process go together like lamb and tuna fish.

captain-america-i-understood-that-reference.gif

Reactions: Starat327

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
I did not want Briere hired. I was a huge advocate for Darche out of Tampa at the time and not excited about our pick, but lets see if Jett can steadily improve and become our second line center in 2-3 years. The trade of first round picks with Edmonton was a little puzzling.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He did not draft best available player because he is not tall enough? We are talking what 1 inch difference? Briere who is 5'8 actually said that?

what kind of reason is this?

We are trying to draft and rebuuild and we do this?
To be fair, they aren't trying to rebuild. So they aren't THAT incompetent! They admitted that was a lie they told for fan PR

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
It's just getting harder and harder to be a hockey fan every year. Miles behind the other sports in talent level, and these organizations clearly are unable to work towards a better product. whatever.

I’m with you. Another year, for me anyway, of hoping we lose every game. There are just too many smart and well run teams in the league. We can’t possibly compete unless we luck into a generational talent or three

Reactions: scumpup

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
I’m with you. Another year, for me anyway, of hoping we lose every game. There are just too many smart and well run teams in the league. We can’t possibly compete unless we luck into a generational talent or three
we're getting draft gapped by the f***ing buffalo sabres and utah hockey club. this is supposed to be an elite franchise.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
Jett has elite speed and passing traits, is younger and had a better combine than Buium or Helenius. The board is apoplectic because everyone's head cannon wasn't fulfilled. Nolan Patrick was also the obvious choice once. Jett is a classic Flyers first round C/F Ala Richards, Carter, Gagne, Giroux.

• Haha
Reactions: Amorgus

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Jett has elite speed and passing traits, is younger and had a better combine than Buium or Helenius. The board is apoplectic because everyone's head cannon wasn't fulfilled. Nolan Patrick was also the obvious choice once. Jett is a classic Flyers first round C/F Ala Richards, Carter, Gagne, Giroux.
ah yea because the combine is the greatest indicator of nhl success!

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
ah yea because the combine is the greatest indicator of nhl success!
strawman, didn't say that. Speed and passing (vision, awareness, IQ, hands) -- these are the kids tools to start with.
I keep seeing references to how many "elite" skills Jett has and I'm wondering where all these people who didn't watch him until yesterday are seeing all these traits that all the scouting agencies missed.
yeah no one even on this board is watching Guelph games from start to finish or even shift vids. Let's not act like he was supposed to be drafted in the 3rd round but drafted mid-1st. He was projected as a mid-first, and after 12 it's crapshoot. Briere said prior to the draft he wasn't drafting BPA per se, that it was heavily position weighted (C). Teams drafting 1-11 passed on Buium. Not just the flyers. Once you look at the shift videos you can see the good the bad and the middling. Look at his playmaking with Namestikov (I think that's who it is). This kid is about as shoe-in for a 2C as they come with def 1C upside, dependeing on the talent he plays with...again he's a playmaker, and needs scorers on his wing.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I keep seeing references to how many "elite" skills Jett has and I'm wondering where all these people who didn't watch him until yesterday are seeing all these traits that all the scouting agencies missed.

Blew away the combine
Elite passing
Elite skating
High IQ
200 ft game
High motor

How wasn’t he in talks for 1OA?

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
strawman, didn't say that. Speed and passing (vision, awareness, IQ, hands) -- these are the kids tools to start with.
What do you mean strawman? I didn't strawman you? Your only argument for him vs Helenius or Buium was a better combine. How is that a strawman? That WAS your real argument. You LITERALLY said that.

"elite speed and passing traits"
Okay, how do you quantify that vs Helenius as a direct comparable? Did you give a real opinion? no you spouted some things that don't directly compare to the players being mentioned. We're not talking about if he's a good player or not, we're talking about if he's the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE or not.

The ONLY comparative thing you said was the combine! Which is not a great argument in of itself by all historical measures!

Blew away the combine
Elite passing
Elite skating
High IQ
200 ft game
High motor

This is what I mean it's all just empty superlatives!!!

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
What do you mean strawman? I didn't strawman you? Your only argument for him vs Helenius or Buium was a better combine. How is that a strawman? That WAS your real argument. You LITERALLY said that.

"elite speed and passing traits"
Okay, how do you quantify that vs Helenius as a direct comparable? Did you give a real opinion? no you spouted some things that don't directly compare to the players being mentioned. We're not talking about if he's a good player or not, we're talking about if he's the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE or not.

The ONLY comparative thing you said was the combine! Which is not a great argument in of itself by all historical measures!

This is what I mean it's all just empty superlatives!!!
"the combine is the greatest indicator of nhl success!": I literally did not say this, I mentioned it as one factor and not even primary, but you cast it as a strawman to knock down. The literal definition of a strawman argument. Look it up.

"Straw Man Fallacy​

A straw man fallacy occurs when someone distorts or exaggerates another person’s argument, and then attacks the distorted version of the argument instead of refuting the original point. By using a straw man, someone can give the appearance of refuting an argument when they have not actually engaged with the original ideas."

I didn't say anything concrete about the combine in terms of sourcing opinion. I mentioned it as a sweetener... everyone knows a combine test doesn't have linear relation to performance and you can not base projections on it. It's an added, "ohhhhh...that's interesting"

Briere had already told the universe before the draft started he wasn't going BPA. That's a legit strategic argument but he said it: they would take center if it's a wash. He did what he said he would do.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
"the combine is the greatest indicator of nhl success!": I literally did not say this, I mentioned it as one factor and not even primary, but you cast it as a strawman to knock down. The literal definition of a strawman argument. Look it up.

"Straw Man Fallacy​

A straw man fallacy occurs when someone distorts or exaggerates another person’s argument, and then attacks the distorted version of the argument instead of refuting the original point. By using a straw man, someone can give the appearance of refuting an argument when they have not actually engaged with the original ideas."

I didn't say anything concrete about the combine in terms of sourcing opinion. I mentioned it as a sweetener... everyone knows a combine test doesn't have linear relation to performance and you can not base projections on it. It's an added, "ohhhhh...that's interesting"

Briere had already told the universe before the draft started he wasn't going BPA. That's a legit strategic argument but he said it: they would take center if it's a wash. He did what he said he would do.
please re read what you wrote. I am not in your head I can only reply based on what you said. It really is that simple. I didn't distort or exaggerate anything you said. Your only arguments are:
younger
combine
superlatives

That's all you gave me dude.

also you strawmanned me :3

sometimes what people perceive as a strawman is actually responding to a poorly written argument. See it happen all the time!

Last edited:

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
please re read what you wrote. I am not in your head I can only reply based on what you said. It really is that simple. I didn't distort or exaggerate anything you said. Your only arguments are:
younger
combine
superlatives

That's all you gave me dude.
you don't know what the word superlative means either. Do yourself a favor and watch some of the Guelph shift videos or longer highlights. If you don't see plus speed, vision and playmaking, that's fine too.

• Haha
Reactions: scumpup

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Blew away the combine
Elite passing
Elite skating
High IQ
200 ft game
High motor

Because high picks are as much a function of circumstance as skill. Why wasn’t Giroux 1OA? Pasta? Why do 1OA bust? They’re not finished products at 18.

It’s not an exact science. All players drafted in the 1st round have some combination of elite skills. Whether they can be developed is the challenge.

And I think it’s not a reach to say assessing who does is also involves significant luck as well.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Most of the hockey world is laughing at this pick presently. We’ll see how it works out over time. Maybe he’ll “Easton Cowan” it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00