Confirmed with Link: Matt Murray re-signs with Leafs - 1 year 875k

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Without any proof other than speculation on my part.

1719852642613.png

I believe Treliving convinced Murray to sit out last year on Robidas Island on LTIR and not play to help the Leafs locked in Cap Hell, and now rewarded him by giving him a chance to continue his career comeback at $875k league minimum salary.

On Wednesday, the Toronto Maple Leafs announced they were placing Matt Murray on long-term injured reserve prior to the start of the 2023-24 season. The manoeuvre allows Toronto to park the $4.7 million in salary it owes to Murray on LTIR, thus giving it a bit more flexibility with its roster.Jul 27, 2023

Nudge Nudge Wink Wink ...

At league minimum $875 he can provide value to the Leafs as depth #3, and can even play with the Marlies until needed (If needed). Martin Jones played that role well at his $800k last year.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Interesting. I'm a numbers guy so I wish I cared enough to understand the CBA better. Regardless, there is no question Leafs have the resources to figure this out on a case by case basis. There are other examples of other teams who engage in cap acrobatics which they can draw from as well I'm sure.

It doesn't make sense what he is saying...

• Wow
Reactions: Leafsfan74

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Without any proof other than speculation.

I believe Treliving convinced Murray to sit out last year on Robidas Island on LTIR and not play to help the Leafs locked in Cap Hell, and now rewarded him by giving him a chance to continue his career comeback at $875k league minimum salary.

Nudge Nudge Wink Wink ...
Thats some weapons grade copium right there. Handle with care. :laugh:

Reactions: Gallagbi

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Really nothing to worry about here. Depth signing.

If he can stay healthy he's probably still decent and I'd guess he's on the Marlies or picked up on waivers anyhow.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Murray is fairly maligned but this is hardly something to raise your arms about. Leafs were always going to get a veteran 3rd stringer. I really hope he doesn't block some good playing time for Hildeby and AA, especially as a call-up but you always need 5 goaltenders in your system.

Murray will be able to bounce around and sit on the bench a lot. That's good.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Interesting. I'm a numbers guy so I wish I cared enough to understand the CBA better. Regardless, there is no question Leafs have the resources to figure this out on a case by case basis. There are other examples of other teams who engage in cap acrobatics which they can draw from as well I'm sure.

This is the CBA clause I'm referencing.,

Article 50.2 of the NHL's collective bargaining agreement allows for performance bonus-based contracts for certain players based on experience and recent injury status.

Injured Veteran Performance Bonuses​

• Eligibility: This clause applies to players who are "400-plus game Players" for pension purposes.
  • Criteria: To qualify, these players must have spent at least 100 days on the Injured Reserve (IR) list in the last year of their most recent Standard Player Contract (SPC).
  • Contract Conditions: These players must sign a one-year SPC for the current or upcoming League Year to be eligible for performance bonuses.
Murray's cap hit with the Leafs was $4.685 million (Senators retained 25 percent of his $6.25 million cap hit. If he becomes Toronto's third goalie option, does it make sense to give him a minimum $875,000 salary and then some kind of games-played bonus where if he elevates himself further you can give him more money?

Murray satisfy all the requirements to sign a performance bonus contract. Even though Murray has only played in 272 games, the "400-plus games players for pension purposes is to account for goaltenders who don't play in as many games as skaters. He spent more than 100 days on LTI last season and was in the final year of their existing SPCs.

It could be structured in a way where the Leafs will only pay what they get something out of the player(s), and that can be truly beneficial. Otherwise, it's simply an NHL minimum contract that can easily be pushed to the side if it doesn't pan out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ports

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Lmao. Will be interesting to see the comments on this one.
Good signing. Provides some veteran experience behind an inexperienced tandem.

Reactions: bax

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
There were other options that they should have pursued. Now two of their three goalies are China dolls. When Woll gets hurt, and he will, we will have a solid starter to replace him but Murray will be the backup which means he is one tweaked groin away from being the Leafs' starting goalie. No effing thanks. They should have brought in someone else for this role.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Lmao. Will be interesting to see the comments on this one.
Good signing. Provides some veteran experience behind an inexperienced tandem.

Taking a year off last year and getting the surgery he needed had the potential to set his career back on track if it takes. Will be interesting to see how he progresses. Could be an absolute steal.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Assuming it's for basically league minimum - why not?

There are a lot worse options than a 2 x cup winner to be your 3rd goalie.

If we are signing players based on past glory, perhaps we should have offered Hasek, Cujo or Belfour a contract? He won the cup n 2015-16 , and 2016-17 ... not really relevant to his current abilities ... Is Grant Fuhr available?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad