Per Wiki:

23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland
5,522,015November 30, 20180.072%Official monthly estimate
23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png
Slovakia
5,445,087June 30, 20180.071%Official estimate
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Both countries with almost the same population.
Both countries, where ice-hockey is second most popular sport (after football).

But now comes the differencies:
Slovakia has only 10 727 registered players (according to IIHF)
Finland has 73 374

Slovaks top league is way way under the Finnish Sado Maso Liiga.

Slovak junior leagues are even more under the level of the Finnish.

Now tell me: Why? Why are there such big differences?

Reactions: LAINEC

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
Per Wiki:

23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland
5,522,015November 30, 20180.072%Official monthly estimate
23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png
Slovakia
5,445,087June 30, 20180.071%Official estimate
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Both countries with almost the same population.
Both countries, where ice-hockey is second most popular sport (after football).

But now comes the differencies:
Slovakia has only 10 727 registered players (according to IIHF)
Finland has 73 374

Slovaks top league is way way under the Finnish Sado Maso Liiga.

Slovak junior leagues are even more under the level of the Finnish.

Now tell me: Why? Why are there such big differences?

Short answer: Money. There's a lot more money in Finnish hockey both in terms of corporate/private investment and investment from the Finnish ice hockey federation.

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
Again: Why?

Well, as with all things economic it's about creating a demand. The federation partners with companies to sell beer or frozen pizza or whatever and these companies benefit from the association. The Liiga is actually in fairly good shape economically, and teams that are or have been in the red (my hometown team TPS is one recent example, they're doing better now) have solid corporate backing to prevent bankruptcy. The one exception is Espoon Blues, which did go bankrupt recently. Not sure how Jokerit is faring in the KHL, but last I checked they were just chucking money into a well, but that is the Russian way. Then there is the fact that by law any significant sporting event must be shown on television for free (rather than on paid channels), including (everything is up for interpretation, but as of now) Olympic hockey, the WHC, the WJC and the U18s. Then there is of course the fact that Finland has had success recently, which creates a positive environment. So it's a combination of factors.

Reactions: Koijari

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
The big question is why Slovakia has decreased. In fomer time they had top-players and stars. What s happend? Focused more to Football(Soccer)?

Reactions: Clayonator

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Is it really? There are only 5 European countries between Finland and Slovakia in Football Elo Rankings.
But they participated to WC 2010 and EC 2016. They reached in both tournaments the K.O-Stage. And they have a Top-Star like Hamsik and good players like Duda or Pekarik. Finland never participated in a big torunament and the last Star was Litmanen(Long time ago).

Reactions: stastny12

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Is it really? There are only 5 European countries between Finland and Slovakia in Football Elo Rankings.
Just take a look on players which are playing for Slovakia and for Finland. And you will see a huge difference. Those rankings usually mean a nothing...

If you dont believe me, you can check it on transfermarkt where you could find market values. For example, best value for Finland has a goalie Lukas Hradecky(btw, he is from Slovakia) and it is only 10-million euros. Slovakia? Just Milan Skriniar has 60-million, Hamsik 30-million, Lobotka 25-million etc.

Reactions: slowslovak

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
Were the players product of Czechoslovakia?

I'd say so, just look at players drafted 2000 and before compared to after. These players would have been 10-11 when the country split up, I assume they had begun their development in the Czechoslovak system. Coincidentally 2000 was also the year the last Slovak star player (Gaborik) was drafted. There have been good players since, but nothing compared to the Gaboriks, Hossas and Palffys of the world.

LAINEC

Mar 15, 2018
Candyland
We learn little kids to avoid polar bears, wolfs, bears, rudolph the red-nosed reindeers, drunk santa claus etc... First things we get is hockey skates. If we win something we run naked around city, drink booze etc.... vittu saatana perkele. And we hate russians and swedes

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
But they participated to WC 2010 and EC 2016. They reached in both tournaments the K.O-Stage. And they have a Top-Star like Hamsik and good players like Duda or Pekarik. Finland never participated in a big torunament and the last Star was Litmanen(Long time ago).
Comparing guys like Hamsik and Duda to Litmanen is an insult. I would say even Hyypia had better career than those Slovaks.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Comparing guys like Hamsik and Duda to Litmanen is an insult. I would say even Hyypia had better career than those Slovaks.
I dont know much about Litmanen, but what I could say is fact that Hamsik is alltime best goal scorer for Napoli. He surpassed Maradona.

Skrtel played also many many games for the Reds like Hyppia.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Skriniar is one of the 3 best centrebacks in football right now. Dubravka is having another excellent season with Newcastle and is playing like one of the better goalies in the premier league. Hamsik a top Centre attacking mid, all time top goal scorer in Napoli history. Ondrej Duda is in contention to be bundesligs top goal scorer. Lobotka is already the best player at Celta vigo and will most likely transfer to bigger club soon. Laszlo Benes is the top prospect at Borussia Mönchengladbach and the replacement for hamsik soon. Not too mention players like Spalek, Mraz and Hancko who are slowly becoming starters for there Serie A teams, if they are not already. Hancko himself being considered by UEFA as one of the best centreback prospects in Europe.

Finland hockey is much better than Slovak hockey, but the same kind of gap is there between Slovak football and Finnish football. Zlina is the gold mine of Central European prospects right now.

Not to mention, isn’t your goalkeeper your best player and actually a Slovak himself ? :yo:

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Not to mention, isn’t your goalkeeper your best player and actually a Slovak himself ? :yo:
His parents are from Slovakia who moved to Finland to play pro-volleyball when Lukas was only 4 years old.

Fun fact: Hradecký never even considered playing for Slovakia as he identifies as a Finn, but in hockey he always cheers for Slovakia. :)

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
His parents are from Slovakia who moved to Finland to play pro-volleyball when Lukas was only 4 years old.

Fun fact: Hradecký never even considered playing for Slovakia as he identifies as a Finn, but in hockey he always cheers for Slovakia. :)
Yeah he is still ethnically Slovak. I didn’t know that second part haha. I know he said in an interview that he always looks where Slovakia is I’m standings during euro or World Cup qualifying. Glad he’s serving Finland well :thumbu:

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Yeah he is still ethnically Slovak. I didn’t know that second part haha. I know he said in an interview that he always looks where Slovakia is I’m standings during euro or World Cup qualifying. Glad he’s serving Finland well :thumbu:
He's absolutely adored here. Not only has he bailed us out numerous times, but he's a really funny and friendly guy in general as well.

Reactions: Keke

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I'd say so, just look at players drafted 2000 and before compared to after. These players would have been 10-11 when the country split up, I assume they had begun their development in the Czechoslovak system. Coincidentally 2000 was also the year the last Slovak star player (Gaborik) was drafted. There have been good players since, but nothing compared to the Gaboriks, Hossas and Palffys of the world.

To expand on this communist states often dumped a whole lot of money into sports. Look at the Olympics of the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and you see multiple top 10 medal placements for not just the USSR, but also Czechoslovakia, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, East Germany, etc. In modern Olympics these countries don't perform anywhere near where they used to. Now a democratic Slovakia won't invest as much into hockey as a communist Czechoslovakia or as a richer Western European country and the results show a decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad