WJC: Finland 2020 Roster Talk

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Prediction: 1.Russia 2. Canada. 3. USA 4. Sweden 5. Czech Republic/Germany 6. Finland 7. Slovakia 8. Switzerland 9. Czech Republic/Germany 10. Kazhakstan.

I´m 99 % sure both Germany and the Czechs would beat both Slovakia and Switzerland but obviously the other group is much tougher as i believe the three medalists will come from that group.
I have a feeling both Finland and Sweden can face quite a chock when entering the playoffs.

Last but not least, a semifinal is more than good from this roster in my opinion and a bronze would be a really good effort. Even if i will miss a lot of players i just can´t understand the fact that Rindell did not get a chance to earn a spot.
I just can't see this roster with it´s group of forwards win the finest medal, no way. We don´t have that it factor and juniorhockey has often less upsets than mens.
By no means is this roster bad, it´s good, but not that good. Only Kupari and perhaps Maccelli (4th rounder still) are something special in my opinion right now. Aatu will be there soon but i´m not sure you can demand those performances from him yet, not on his own.
The thing with Kotkan poikii ilman siipii Kupari is that i´m not sure he´s a leader. He´s so skilled and fancy and i like him, but he´s not used to have that Rantanen, Teräväinen, Aho, Talvitie or even Hintz type of a leader role.
Last year he had a big role, but i don´t think he was a leader on ice if you guys get what i mean. Kupari, Heponiemi and Tolvanen was just a bit more skilled than lot´s of others.

Hyvää Joulua!

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
The trend of a roller-coaster in the previous 5+ years of this tourney as regards Team Finland's performances suggest the young Lions will dip and dive out of the medal games once again. And that is that. No fanfars, no torilla tavataan, no celebrations no nothing... And that is okay, also. After all this is just junior hockey and part of the development process in which bitter losses are as important as the sweetest victories.

Yet there might be gold at the end of the rainbow and main flow. If things happen to go their way. And their way goes according to flow.

But what is not okay - the inconsistent level of coaching, the so and so management of the team and the insufficient allocation of resources to the Project, not to mention all the other impairing deficits endemic to the organisation.

Just chitchatting in the deep embrace of a lullaby arm chair and slowly getting drunk by the best of Scotch blends.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
As an Avs fan that has never seen Annunen before, has he played and if so, how has he looked? Does he have legit NHL potential?

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Yeah, i would go as far as he is the best goalie in the tourney and best we had in a while

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
How does Finland do this? A country of only 5 million, she produces so many skilled hockey players. If possible, please provide the details.

The secret is wrapping Hiilos Makkara (sausages) in foil and putting them on top of the rocks of the sauna heater as you're once again testing your mortalilty by throwing water on the rocks until you feel your heart kind of submitting but not to the point of it making you too dizzy to walk out of the sauna on four legs.

Once your balance organ starts working again you unwrap the sausages and eat them with strong mustard. Beetroot/potato an optional addition.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
When are they planning on announcing the final team? Or have they already and it just hasn't been posted/seen? Do they usually leave it right to the end of Christmas day.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, i would go as far as he is the best goalie in the tourney and best we had in a while

Dostal is the best among the 2000 born goalies. Knight and Askarov have the highest potential of goalies at the tournament.

Annunen has yet to show he's not a product of playing for the best team in Finland.

Reactions: king89

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Dostal is the best among the 2000 born goalies. Knight and Askarov have the highest potential of goalies at the tournament.

Annunen has yet to show he's not a product of playing for the best team in Finland.

Nope, how do you know that from couch.

It is impossible to say, but Annunen is leading the Liiga. Have you done any DD

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I´m worried about Honkas defense. Looked really underwhelming against Canada. He´s not active on his feet. To not have Kivenmäki, Hirvonen and Rindell on this roster seemed even more wrong when i saw the game against Canada.

The only offense i can hope for is the chemistry between Räty brothers and Maccelli and Kupari.

5-1 or 6-2 win for Sweden tonight.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
So can we predict the 2021 roster already? Just for fun.

Patrik Puistola - Anton Lundell - Leevi Aaltonen
Aku Räty - Aatu Räty - Kasper Simontaival
Brad Lambert - Henri Nikkanen - Matias Mäntykivi
Antti Saarela - Roni Hirvonen - Marcus Kallionkieli
Tuukka Tieksola

Ville Heinola - Mikko Kokkonen
Santeri Hatakka - Kalle Loponen
Ruben Rafkin - Topi Niemelä

Joel Blomqvist
Kari Piiroinen
Roope Taponen'

4 offensive lines

Reactions: jalperi and Svedu

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

Tuukka Tieksola

Joel Blomqvist
Kari Piiroinen
Roope Taponen'

4 offensive lines
I think Brad would most likely play at his natural position at C.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives

Tuukka Tieksola

Joel Blomqvist
Kari Piiroinen
Roope Taponen'

4 offensive lines
I think Heinola could be in the NHL at this point but lets see :)

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019

Tuukka Tieksola

Joel Blomqvist
Kari Piiroinen
Roope Taponen'

4 offensive lines

Kallionkieli-Lundell-Simontaival
Aaltonen-Räty-Räty
Lambert-Hirvonen-Miettinen
Järventie-Nikkanen-Puistola
Saarela, Mäntykivi, Tieksola, Petman, Suni, Pärssinen, Intonen etc

Kokkonen-Tuomisto
Heinola(if available) otherwise Rafkin-Niemelä
Loponen-Hatakka
Viro, Sedoff, Puutio etc

Blomqvist

I want to have Tieksola but i don't know between him and Miettinen and i´m keen to see if Hirvonen and Miettinen still have a special chemistry. To get a great skater and talent in Lambert along them could perhaps give us something special.
If Lundell can play i wan´t to see goalscorers on his wings and also put a lot of pressure on Lundell to carry that line.
Räty brothers with Aaltonen? Now that could be fun to see.
Petman should be a great fourth liner for most teams but i would love to see something new, a fourth line with skill that can dangle the most opponents. I honestly believe these lines would be a lot more even than this years roster can manage to give us.

Overall a lot more depth next year in my opinion and a tad more elite talent as well. At least when it comes to the forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: FinPanda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad