Euro: Final - Spain v. England - July 14

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Very inaccurate pic. Finland is very much pro-England. Starting from Division 1 football televised games in the 70's.
I'd say being into English club football makes a person even more likely to cheer against the English national team.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'd say being into English club football makes a person even more likely to cheer against the English national team.
Nope. England is very often the go-to team in international tournaments for at least the 40+ folk. Based on my friends favorites, it's always a group of Brazil/Argentina/England/France/Germany/Holland, from which people pick their team.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The idea that England is universally loathed is incorrect. The truth is that English football has a ton of fans around the world and while most PL fans don't necessarily support England, some do. The U.S. coverage of the sport is treating England basically as "America's 2nd team" - because it's made by people who are either English themselves or at least watch English football all the time - and I'd be shocked if that didn't influence some people.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Anyways by current reports they will want Southgate to stay on whatever the result

Perfect :laugh:

I'm fully expecting us to "England" it and lose in finals agonizingly somehow. If there was any "justice" in football we'd finally do it but I just can see us losing too easily. Especially after all the media hype.

Losing the first time you face a top team would be mighty "england" of you :sarcasm:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The idea that England is universally loathed is incorrect. The truth is that English football has a ton of fans around the world and while most PL fans don't necessarily support England, some do. The U.S. coverage of the sport is treating England basically as "America's 2nd team" - because it's made by people who are either English themselves or at least watch English football all the time - and I'd be shocked if that didn't influence some people.

Also worth noting that getting a laugh out of english delusions of grandeur is very different from loathing their team. Hell if they played good football, or if Spain had lost to France, I might even be rooting for them. But Spain are too attractive and the English to dire for me to root against football.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The waiting alone is agonizing. Whatever happens I hope it is done in 90 minutes, can't be dealing with any of that Extra-Time or Penalties

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Get your Vindaloo ready.

1720959544290.jpeg

I would say most EPL soccer fans in the US are rooting for England to win.

Cheering for England to win but Southgate to lose, it's conflicting.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
From UEFA website quoting D la Fuente below. I'm not sure how true that is even overall, but surely he isn't talking about Harry Kane :laugh:

graham.hunter.png

Spain

Graham Hunter
Spain reporter in Berlin

De la Fuente continues: "England are a wholly different opponent from France or Germany, but with a superior level of players who've won big trophies all over Europe and played at great clubs.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Odds that Southgate just starts the exact same lineup again, though this time it burns him and they can't recover?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Rumour is that he indeed plans to start the same line-up, and I'd agree with you that he can't recover from his mistake thi time. Wrong personnel choices similar to what Nagelsmann did with Germay vs Spain.

Sort of weird that top managers in national team football are so fixated and rarely seem to learn. Top club managers are more flexible, although they do have more time and matches to tinker with things.

Some stats trivia before the match: Spain are now only one goal shy of equally tournament record for goals scored, currently held by France team form 1984.

Rice has played most minutes and covered most ground during the tournament so far, so his done the leg work at least.

And finally, has Spain asked for permission to play Yamal after 11 p.m local time :) Or are they planning to sub him off before that or break the law?

According to German law, underage persons are not allowed to work after 11. So maybe some police officer , sworn to serve the law, will drag him off the pitch at that time :DD But seriously, most likely Spain will have to pay the 30 000 € fine, if even that for breaking the law.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Personally I think it would be hilarious if Kane again fails to win a trophy.

He doesn't deserve to win this one if he's truly injured and still insisting he should start instead of stepping aside and letting Watkins/Toney start.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Rumour is that he indeed plans to start the same line-up, and I'd agree with you that he can't recover from his mistake thi time. Wrong personnel choices similar to what Nagelsmann did with Germay vs Spain.

Sort of weird that top managers in national team football are so fixated and rarely seem to learn. Top club managers are more flexible, although they do have more time and matches to tinker with things.
Prediction: they will be down 2-1 and will finally make substitutions and start pressing at the 80th minute, only to fall short.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Half a page ripping Southgate for keeping the same lineup.

incoming half a page for changing his line up
0%.

Shaw is in
Shaw in for Trippier hardly addresses the main issue with the lack of changes, which has been with the attacking players.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Yep, if Spain has something like 70% possession, and England has to rely on counter attacking, Kane isn't the right guy to be the sole forward highest up on the pitch.

He can pass and be the playmaker type, but the wide players +Bellingham have too long a distance to join a quick attack before Spain manages to reorganize.

Shaw starting over Trippier would be a good choice, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad