Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
The inactive part is a misunderstanding. He was hovering in free spaces without the puck in the offense but he didn't receive passes in the OHL. That's become a bit better in the AHL but the play still looks off from NHL level.
In the OHL, kitchener wanted to promote their guys first in Pinelli and Arcuri. Both of which have 0 points combined so far and the latter is barely even playing in the AHL. They couldn't keep up with Mesar IQ wise so they dropped him to the second line because he was over qualified.

Mesar had 4 points in his first OHL game... lets not forget that... and he could have had easely 7-8 points in that game alone. Its not a fluke, when they gave him top minutes he performed. He is that good and but unfortunatly they sabotaged him in Kitchener.

Take his last "flying" assist to Beck: three Syracuse players started chasing him leaving Beck open. This would not have happened in the NHL.

Well its still early in the season, but his speed and agility surprised the Crunch players. On that play, only 4 games in the season he's showing that he's got that NHL fraction of a second. For a guy who never played in the NHL yet, showing that kind of shiftness at 20 years of age...

You know just like Hutson, Mesar is a smart player and he's going to adapt to the challenge. He's going to do other things that will work in the NHL.

The puck watching was worse in the OHL. I think he genuinely hated his time there.

Now i am just happy he can display his talents at the pro level. He has embraced the NA style and the media people are questioning wether or not he should be the next call up. He no longer looks like a passenger without the puck and this is just great to see unfolding.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
if he's placed in a bottom role he won't be able to play himself to the top 6
Wow
So Nick Suzuki could push to the top six from a 4th line wing position in the NHL but Mesar can't from a 3rd line position in the AHL? :huh:
Where does this even remotely come close to the truth of what development is all about.
If Mesar or any of our prospects show they belong on a higher rung they are going to get it.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Wow
So Nick Suzuki could push to the top six from a 4th line wing position in the NHL but Mesar can't from a 3rd line position in the AHL? :huh:
Where does this even remotely come close to the truth of what development is all about.
If Mesar or any of our prospects show they belong on a higher rung they are going to get it.
AHL, not NHL.

My scouting report on Mesar has always been this:

Mesar will have success in the AHL, no matter what opportunity, ice-time or line combo he finds himself with. And I said his success in the NHL will depend on the opportunity he's given. If he's given a position in the top 6 and PP time, his skillset and IQ will deliver success. But if he's given limited ice-time in the bottom 6 I don't think he'll be able to play himself into the top 6 from there. He's always shown that he struggles playing with mediocre talent.

Comparables:

- on the high-end Sergei Samsonov-lite
- on the mid-end, David Desharnais
- on the low-end, PPG player in the AHL
- someone said Mikael Granlund and that was an excellent comparable as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad