Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Both our Slovak first rounders are considered busts already by so many.
Perhaps we should give it a few years before clamoring stuff like this....
To be honest for Slaf yeah. There has never been a small skilled forward in history who didn't even go a point per game in the OHL in their D+1 and became an NHLer though. Bitten was the last guy we drafted that had some "hype" only to barely go a point per game and fizzle out. Gallagher put up 90 points in his D+1 and has limited puck skills. Even Marcel hossa put up 90 points in the WHL. I am literally going through the entire teams draft history and I can't even find a comparable because we have never had a player drafted that high do that poorly in the CHL (his stats are comparable to dmen we drafted in the 3rd or lower).

Do you know the comparable? Jason Ward. And his game wasn't scoring. Turner Stevenson too.

Do we expect Mesar to become an enforcer?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
To be honest for Slaf yeah. There has never been a small skilled forward in history who didn't even go a point per game in the OHL in their D+1 and became an NHLer though. Bitten was the last guy we drafted that had some "hype" only to barely go a point per game and fizzle out. Gallagher put up 90 points in his D+1 and has limited puck skills. Even Marcel hossa put up 90 points in the WHL. I am literally going through the entire teams draft history and I can't even find a comparable because we have never had a player drafted that high do that poorly in the CHL (his stats are comparable to dmen we drafted in the 3rd or lower).

Do you know the comparable? Jason Ward. And his game wasn't scoring. Turner Stevenson too.

A lot of these statistical rules of thumb are rules until the exception arrives. It happens a lot in hockey, remember hearing that no team with a European captain had ever won the Cup? Remember hearing that teams down 3-0 virtually never come back to win a 7 game series? And so on. Context matters. There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. And so on.

The trends of 1st rounders dominating the CHL in their D+1 is real but does not refer to Mesar-type players so it doesn't matter.

Players who are drafted out of the CHL in their D-1 tend to dominate in their D+1 -- because they're drafted based on their ability to do well in the CHL. It's a selection effect.

Mesar was drafted for his ability to do well in Europe. He didn't have CHL experience on or off the ice, came in without seniority and being a cultural alien and into a bad team.

Reactions: ReHabs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

The very first name that I checked was 5'10" Ryan Callahan who put up 54 points in 60 games with Guelph in his D+1. Why make such a bold statement with no evidence or research?

Calling Mesar a bust after his D+1 season is just a nonsensical hot take.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

stats mean nothing without proper context. I think Mesar is highly skilled but there has to be concerns over what was clearly at times a lack of effort or interest perhaps. I saw something very similar when watching Caufield's 1st NCAA season, you could at times clearly see he didn't give much of a shit when it came to defending.

It's tougher to compare a 1st year Euro in North America in the CHL, in this case the team clearly had issues hence the coaching getting fired. If anyone needs a perfect example of how IMPORTANT coaches actually are to a players development, look no further then Dom/Caufield and then MSL/Caufield. I've been saying it for years and years to the many on here that would so easily dismiss development, poor coaching from outdated dinosaurs that felt you had to grind for da win. The fans paid for owner/upper managements mistakes.

Mesar didn't want to go to the OHL, his play at times certainly showed it to some degree, his statement about being told he ONLY have to play there 1 year says a lot. So while I think everyone should at least be concerned here to some degree, if he plays to his full abilities and works his ass off then we'll see what we have.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Mesar did have a bad season I totally agree but during the WJC you saw the speed, vision, skill and leadership. Still a teenager.
Personally I see him as a typical Habs late 1st round pick....not holding out hope for anything special but I am willing to give him more time.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
People have every right to worry about Mesar. I think he’s got a big uphill battle in front of him.

Not thrilled that he seemed to sleepwalk through this mandatory one year in junior(which probably wasn’t the greatest of agreements in the first place) but he positively has top6 upside.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Mesar did have a bad season I totally agree but during the WJC you saw the speed, vision, skill and leadership. Still a teenager.
Personally I see him as a typical Habs late 1st round pick....not holding out hope for anything special but I am willing to give him more time.
We do get the feeling that there was a lack of willingness to put out or go balls to the wall. I'm not sure if it was a sense of entitlement or what. I sure hope someone spoke to him this off season letting him know that won't be accepatable going forward.

Reactions: Tyson

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
We're gonna see what this kid is made of pretty soon. This season will tell a lot. Preseason should be fun and then we get to watch how he does in Laval for a year.

Really curious to see if he elevates his game playing against better competition. First year in NA was pretty bummy compared to what his bf was living. Getting used to NA ice + playing in Kitchener in OHL for a crap coach.....

So I'm happy to have that first year done with and out of the way. Playing in Laval should give him a huge morale boost. Plus way more resources to help him develop that already nasty toolbox of his.

Only concern at this point for playing in Laval is his physicality. Hopefully he beefed up during the summer like Slaf did last year

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
There has never been a small skilled forward in history who didn't even go a point per game in the OHL in their D+1 and became an NHLer though. Bitten was the last guy we drafted that had some "hype" only to barely go a point per game and fizzle out. Gallagher put up 90 points in his D+1 and has limited puck skills. Even Marcel hossa put up 90 points in the WHL. I am literally going through the entire teams draft history and I can't even find a comparable because we have never had a player drafted that high do that poorly in the CHL (his stats are comparable to dmen we drafted in the 3rd or lower).

There has been several forwards that produced at a similar rate as Mesar in their d+1 year that became good top 6 forwards at the nhl

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
picks drafted through the pandemic years 2021/22 are going to be interesting to watch…..from what I understand most scouts watched film on these kids. I’m sure lots of decent players will appear in every round of each draft.

Indeed... & it's not just the scouting impact. The pandemic effect on young people was all over the map. Some of these kids will have gone off course and will get back on track. I bet we'll see a bigger curve of "late bloomers" in birth years of athletes that were in their teens during COVID...

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
There has been several forwards that produced at a similar rate as Mesar in their d+1 year that became good top 6 forwards at the nhl

Not a single guy from that list isn't a 6'0+ guy with a power game. I clearly stated small skilled forward.

Even the example of Callahan is completely lacking the context (not to mention he is not small skilled player). He was a grinder who got moved up because Tortorella loved that type of game. Additionally, in his D+1 his barely below point per game season he led his team by 10 points. 5 guys outscored Mesar, it is not an all-time bad team situation.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Farrell-Beck-Mesar

The whole line will be at the upper deck rookie event on Sept 5

I get Beck, I like him a lot, but Farrell and Mesar seem like dime a dozen prospects that have nice offense and not much else differentiating them from so many others. Beck excites me, I've seen just too many Farrell/Mesar prospects in this organization over the years that didn't amount to much.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Not a single guy from that list isn't a 6'0+ guy with a power game. I clearly stated small skilled forward.

Even the example of Callahan is completely lacking the context (not to mention he is not small skilled player). He was a grinder who got moved up because Tortorella loved that type of game. Additionally, in his D+1 his barely below point per game season he led his team by 10 points. 5 guys outscored Mesar, it is not an all-time bad team situation.

What does playing a power game have to do with anything? The issue is how much offense a player who went around 1ppg in their D+1 can bring once they are in the NHL.
Jt Miller didn't go from barely ppg in the ohl to almost scoring 100 pts in the nhl because of his power game.

Cirelli, Kubalik, Athanasiou, Stephenson, etc. are players that don't play a power game that were about 1ppg in their d+1 and have done well in the nhl.

Of course, you'll have many players outscore Mesar when they play 15+ more games than him.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
I get Beck, I like him a lot, but Farrell and Mesar seem like dime a dozen prospects that have nice offense and not much else differentiating them from so many others. Beck excites me, I've seen just too many Farrell/Mesar prospects in this organization over the years that didn't amount to much.
People be sleeping hard on Farrell because he wasnt ppg in his 6 NHL games playing 10 min a game with Gallagher and Pezzetta lmao. Hes playing from game 1 and might be over 0,5ppg assuming he gets decent pp usage.

Jul 6, 2016
People be sleeping hard on Farrell because he wasnt ppg in his 6 NHL games playing 10 min a game with Gallagher and Pezzetta lmao. Hes playing from game 1 and might be over 0,5ppg assuming he gets decent pp usage.
Farrell needs to play alot next season. And the only place it could happen would be at AHL level in Laval. Then, we will see what he is made of. The kid is supposed to be a born leader with superior IQ.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

I've seen enough small wingers loaded with talent, that never amounted to anything in Montreal, so you can understand my lack of intrigue towards Farrell. He isn't going to play C in Montreal, so yeah.. probably have a good tour of duty in Laval and see what occurs.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I've seen enough small wingers loaded with talent, that never amounted to anything in Montreal, so you can understand my lack of intrigue towards Farrell. He isn't going to play C in Montreal, so yeah.. probably have a good tour of duty in Laval and see what occurs.

The way I see it, Roy, Mesar, Farrel, Heineken, Ylonen, RHP, Kidney, Beck, etc are effectively competing for 1 or 2 spots between them, so the Habs should be fine in that area without us knowing who will round our the top six.

As in the top six the team will have Suzuki, Cauldield, Dach, Newhook, Slafkovsky, any player that might be acquired from trade or UFA, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad