Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
I never actually liked the pick. I felt he was more of a comfort pick (while still being good enough to go in the 1st), for Slaf. The kid does have absolutely outrageous skill. Although I didnt like the pick, I still think he has the tools to get there. Next year will be a big one, Will be nice to see him with some more skilled guys than that dirt Kitchener team

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
What makes you think Houle is the wrong coach for Mesar?

He might not be the best coach, but so far, prospects have developed well under him. RHP and Ylonen were in the Top-6, getting PP and PK in Laval, and when called up to Montreal, fit in with the Habs.

Simoneau was doing great until he got hurt (was on a 50+ point pace at the time of his injury). And when he came back, it took him a while to get his groove again.

Barron & Trudeau were examples among the D who got better as the year went on. Barron got called up and also did well. Barron was even nominated to go to the AHL All-Star Game, but it's when he got called up to Montreal and he never looked back. Trudeau went from scratch some nights to 3rd pairing and then worked his way up to the top pair and PP1 duties. Beaudin also was getting better.

When Struble came in, he was giving him more responsibilities as the kid started to get more acclimated.

And more than just the prospects, guys like Belzile and Anthony Richard would also get called up and not look out of place.

The only prospect I think Houle hasn't done right by is Mysak, because even before the season started, he had pretty much said he was a depth forward and kind of placed a ceiling on him.

But aside from him, I feel JF Houle is doing a better job than most people realize.
Yes I agree with your general point. I like hab prospects to
be in Houle's hands. To me, that doesn"t apply to Mesar.
To me, athletes, like other humans, mature at different
rates. Houle is a good coach for players who have developed
their skill already, and have close to a pro hockey body. What
he does well, in my eyes, is teach them to be good pros. And
that is his job.
Mesar is not that guy, to me. He doesn't need to be taught
to be a good pro. Not now. He is better served tearing up a
boy's league. And working on building a mans body. Houle
can teach him to be a pro next year.
So I trained athletes at more than one sport. But Houle
is good at the stage of development that he should be
dealing with. And if you look at the pattern that you
brought to me. They ranged from 20 to 22, when he
first dealt with then. And he did his job. He taught
already physicaly mature players to be good pros.
To me, Mesar is a 19 year old, who had his skills held
back by playing at too high a level too early. So he is at
an 18 year old level in skills, and a 17 year old level as
an athletes body.

Jul 6, 2016
Yes I agree with your general point. I like hab prospects to
be in Houle's hands. To me, that doesn"t apply to Mesar.
To me, athletes, like other humans, mature at different
rates. Houle is a good coach for players who have developed
their skill already, and have close to a pro hockey body. What
he does well, in my eyes, is teach them to be good pros. And
that is his job.
Mesar is not that guy, to me. He doesn't need to be taught
to be a good pro. Not now. He is better served tearing up a
boy's league. And working on building a mans body. Houle
can teach him to be a pro next year.
So I trained athletes at more than one sport. But Houle
is good at the stage of development that he should be
dealing with. And if you look at the pattern that you
brought to me. They ranged from 20 to 22, when he
first dealt with then. And he did his job. He taught
already physicaly mature players to be good pros.
To me, Mesar is a 19 year old, who had his skills held
back by playing at too high a level too early. So he is at
an 18 year old level in skills, and a 17 year old level as
an athletes body.
I am asking myself if it is really good for all these underaged guys in European leagues to play with and against grown up men. When they are put in their right age group (Junior level) , they seem to struggle. Jiricek, Nemec and Kulich played at AHL level and did very well. But going from Junior or a Euro league to the NHL when you are only 18 seems counter productive unless your name is Crosby or McDavid.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
As a season ticket holder in Kitchener, I am seeing a lot of valid points in this thread but have to say @JT3 is bang on in my opinion. Everything he has said jives with my eye test.
Iirc there were opinions that his defensive effort improved
near the end of the season. Would you say that is the case?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Iirc there were opinions that his defensive effort improved
near the end of the season. Would you say that is the case?
He definitely picked up the effort level after the coaching change and was working harder to get back. I’d still say he was a bit below average in that regard though.

My biggest concern was his lack of strength. He got overpowered in almost all 1 on 1 situations. If that’s happening in junior, he has a lot of work to do before he’ll succeed against NHLers.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
What about sending him to Trois-Rivière? He would play first line minutes and in all kind of situations. If he really wants to play against men, that should be an option. I know it's not ideal but it may not be as bad as an idea.

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
I'm also leaning toward sending him back to junior.

The good:
One of the best skaters in a straight line in the OHL (both acceleration and top speed). His hands are well above average. His release is quick and his shot is precise.

The bad:
He needs to control the game on most shifts and he just wasn't doing that last year. He was a good complimentary play, had some nice rushes and was able to keep the pace of the best players of his team. But when those players were not creating plays, Mesar was pretty much useless. His passing was a bit hit or miss and he took some shifts off in most games.

The ugly:
His play without the puck needs a lot of work as does his play along the boards. That's not the kind of thing you learn easily in the AHL.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

The good:
One of the best skaters in a straight line in the OHL (both acceleration and top speed). His hands are well above average. His release is quick and his shot is precise.

The bad:
He needs to control the game on most shifts and he just wasn't doing that last year. He was a good complimentary play, had some nice rushes and was able to keep the pace of the best players of his team. But when those players were not creating plays, Mesar was pretty much useless. His passing was a bit hit or miss and he took some shifts off in most games.

The ugly:
His play without the puck needs a lot of work as does his play along the boards. That's not the kind of thing you learn easily in the AHL.
There is no point in sending him to junior unless he is traded to another OHL team. And that goes for Beck too.

Reactions: MasterD

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I am a Kitchener Rangers STH so I am biased and think be should be sent back to junior.

If Mesar was the Mesar who played like he did at Habs training camp, the first half dozen or so games as a Ranger, and what he did at the World Juniors then he is 100% an AHL level of player. Problem was the majority of the other games played he is far from AHL level.

When he was on he was easily the best player on the ice. Problem was consistency and his lack of size. He was small in OHL terms so I am not sure how well he would do playing adults in the AHL.

Kitchener has completely revamped their coaching staff this summer. Not a single coach is returning. The new coaches coming in sound really good and have great resumes. Especially with developing junior hockey aged kids. I would be very happy to see him play for Kitchener and dominate, let him drive his own line and need to create offence. Let him workout and get more physicality mature. Send him to the World Juniors. Trade him at the trade deadline to a contender and let’s see what he can do then playing with more talented players.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
He definitely picked up the effort level after the coaching change and was working harder to get back. I’d still say he was a bit below average in that regard though.

My biggest concern was his lack of strength. He got overpowered in almost all 1 on 1 situations. If that’s happening in junior, he has a lot of work to do before he’ll succeed against NHLers.
Yes, this is the biggest reason I want him in junior. He needs
to get stronger.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I am a Kitchener Rangers STH so I am biased and think be should be sent back to junior.

If Mesar was the Mesar who played like he did at Habs training camp, the first half dozen or so games as a Ranger, and what he did at the World Juniors then he is 100% an AHL level of player. Problem was the majority of the other games played he is far from AHL level.

When he was on he was easily the best player on the ice. Problem was consistency and his lack of size. He was small in OHL terms so I am not sure how well he would do playing adults in the AHL.

Kitchener has completely revamped their coaching staff this summer. Not a single coach is returning. The new coaches coming in sound really good and have great resumes. Especially with developing junior hockey aged kids. I would be very happy to see him play for Kitchener and dominate, let him drive his own line and need to create offence. Let him workout and get more physicality mature. Send him to the World Juniors. Trade him at the trade deadline to a contender and let’s see what he can do then playing with more talented players.

A little too late. Mesar doesn't want to go back to the OHL. He's going to try to be an AHL player and if it doesn't work out he's going to go back to europe. My guess his agent will ask Hughes to trade him if that is to happen.

And the whole revamp of the coaching staff is a testimony of how shitty the coaching staff was last year. It was apparent just by looking at those clowns working behind the bench, a bunch of friends of friends who had no business being there, specially near the end of Denis, they were so lost.

No wonder Mesar doesn't want to go back there.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

No doubt but his offensive upside is NHL level so it doesnt matter.

We're not trying to make a Defender either so it really doesn't matter

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
He looks pretty good in isolated clips.

its not isolated clips, every single game he was crating 5-6 chances from nowhere. Games everyone else was stinking he would effortlessly bring the puck down the O zone and make a pass in the middle of the net to a teammate that was not ready because of a lack of awarness and finishing.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:
Slafkovsky already said they'll live together this year. Laval it is.

Reactions: HankyZetts

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
its not isolated clips, every single game he was crating 5-6 chances from nowhere. Games everyone else was stinking he would effortlessly bring the puck down the O zone and make a pass in the middle of the net to a teammate that was not ready because of a lack of awarness and finishing.
The 6 minute video I watched contained ALL his shifts in every game for the whole season? how is that humanly possible? short shifts I guess eh? lol.

Jul 6, 2016

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:
End result: why not have drafted Kulich instead ? Or Beck earlier ?

Slafkovsky already said they'll live together this year. Laval it is.
Sounds like it. Dunno if it's gonna turn allright for Mesar (or Slaf ?). I don't want another Mysak.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I never actually liked the pick. I felt he was more of a comfort pick (while still being good enough to go in the 1st), for Slaf. The kid does have absolutely outrageous skill. Although I didnt like the pick, I still think he has the tools to get there. Next year will be a big one, Will be nice to see him with some more skilled guys than that dirt Kitchener team
Only reason Mesar was picked was Slaf. We over run with smurf forwards now

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
There is no evidence of that being true.
It's just straight up unprofessional and stupid sentiment.

They simply chose the guy they liked. They always will. We have no say. Sit back and bitch or feel justified in yr armchair scouting. Debate the pick versus others you preferred. Rinse and repeat, go Habs go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad