Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Chytil is the better player but their roles couldn’t be more different and their impacts are equally as profoundly different. There’s more to it than “just play the better player”.

I just don't know what a coach has to do to earn the benefit of the doubt.

Not only did we win our division. Not only did we win our conference. Not only did we win the entire league. His squad has won 5 in a row so far in the playoffs.

Chytil's conditioning may not be up to par. It can be any number of random reasons. Lavi has earned a baseline level of trust from this fanbase that some on here are clearly unable to give.

I know he is, but Cuylle is a different animal whom has played 75 more NHL games and is a much smarter / talented dude. Definitely a ‘coaches wet dream’ type. Not the ‘normal rookie’ to me.

Yeah and even Cuylle had a time period when he was getting his ice limited and was scratched a couple of times.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Chytil is the better player but their roles couldn’t be more different and their impacts are equally as profoundly different. There’s more to it than “just play the better player”.
the problem is Rempe is really bad in his own zone and his line ends up there more often than not. he doesn't get much of a chance to "play his role" at this point.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
the problem is Rempe is really bad in his own zone and his line ends up there more often than not. he doesn't get much of a chance to "play his role" at this point.
They were pinned a bunch yesterday . I would consider inserting Chytil definitely in the upcoming road games where Canes have the last change . I'm 50/50 on changing Rempe out at home for game 2.....but it also depends on Chytil conditioning at this stage . Rempe won't be able to hit anybody hard without getting a 2 minute minor for it....that is a given . It is a tough call for the coaching staff .

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Lost in the debate about what lineup decisions should be made is the astounding reality that the Rangers would actually be better off if we could dress twenty skaters. I can't think of another time where that was really true.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
They were pinned a bunch yesterday . I would consider inserting Chytil definitely in the upcoming road games where Canes have the last change . I'm 50/50 on changing Rempe out at home for game 2.....but it also depends on Chytil conditioning at this stage . Rempe won't be able to hit anybody hard without getting a 2 minute minor for it....that is a given . It is a tough call for the coaching staff .

And I think the entire point should be that this coaching staff has earned enough trust to make what decision it feels will benefit the team most.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

He needs to sit before he costs us a game. I keep saying it cuz I'm really afraid it's going to happen

Reactions: Lua

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
How do you have such little faith in the current coaching staff to make the right decision (that THEY feel is right)?

I mean I do but that doesn't change the fact that he takes a penalty every game and is always a risk for a ejection with the way that he plays.

Outside from G1 we've won despite him

Reactions: Lua

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I mean I do but that doesn't change the fact that he takes a penalty every game and is always a risk for a ejection with the way that he plays.

At least two of those calls in the playoffs were complete bullshit and wouldn't have been called on any other player.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I mean it's been said a billion times... IF Chytil is ready, and that is a BIG if...

You probably bring him in game 3

At home, winning with Rempe in the lineup (close as it may be & less effective as he was in GM1) 99% of coaches don't change anything.

Especially at home where the fans love him.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

The problem is people mistake fun and exciting with good hockey. Rempe certainly can be exciting to watch with his big hits and aggressive play. But that’s not the same thing as playing well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just what I want my boss to do when I or my friends are getting unjustifiably attacked: Throw us under the bus and move on.

There are games to win. This isn't kindergarden where stomping your legs and yelling "it's not fair" will do something. It doesn't matter why he gets called for so many penalties. They get called. There's no "it's not fair" in the rulebook. He gets called for virtually one penalty a game and he doesn't bring enough good things to counteract that.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
There are games to win. This isn't kindergarden where stomping your legs and yelling "it's not fair" will do something. It doesn't matter why he gets called for so many penalties. They get called. There's no "it's not fair" in the rulebook. He gets called for virtually one penalty a game and he doesn't bring enough good things to counteract that.

There are more Rempe mistakes that aren't being discussed.

On the first Carolina goal, Rempe pursued below the goal line at the end of his shift, even though there was already another Ranger engaging below the red line. Rempe was the last of his line off the ice and Lafreniere replaced him. If Rempe gets back to the bench even 1 second earlier, Lafreniere stops the Canes from setting up in the zone before that fluke of a goal (Lafreniere just missed intercepting the backpass to Guenztel as the last of his line to get on the ice).

Later in the game, Rempe overstayed his shift by a good 30+ seconds more than his linemates.

He's a rookie, and players make mistakes. But the margins are small, and I hope they are drilling into his head that he shouldn't be chasing the play, most importantly, at the end of shifts.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
i think everyone is making good points.. A few of the penalties on Rempe have been reputation calls.. He does seem to have a lack of agility..what if a game goes to 2ot, he will get the stu bickle treatment, can you win a long overtime with only 11 forwards?

But at this point i think youve gotta trust laviotlette. Rempe has earned his spot in the line up.. i think this might be underappreciated as fans, but in a locker room i think it means something.

The hurricane players know when he is on the ice, while they are pro athletes, i think anyone would be scared/concerned when rempe is on the ice..

he doesnt always connect with a hit, but when he does, he seems to do some damage.. didnt rempe get chatfield pretty good, he looked dazed... its the playoffs, the canes are already down a few defenders, keep targeting the rest of their d..

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the President's trophy winners (who did that mostly without Chytil, btw) that are 5-0 in the playoffs probably shouldn't be making roster changes at this time.

If Rempe's not in I'm highly confident that's the wrong decision. The entire world knows the penalty he was called on was not a penalty. The refs have got to be aware that they're consistently giving this kid 2 minutes for having REMPE on the back of his jersey. I don't expect that to continue and I would bet a large sum of money the Rangers have already reached out to the league about it

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Rempe looked way out of his element last game. I don't even care about the bs calls he consistently gets. Chytil and Kakko have always been possession monsters, so I don't think that will change if he steps in for Wennberg. Getting to slide Wennberg down to the fourth line is a giant plus. Now, if Chytil truly isn't ready then that's a different story.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Rempe looked way out of his element last game. I don't even care about the bs calls he consistently gets. Chytil and Kakko have always been possession monsters, so I don't think that will change if he steps in for Wennberg. Getting to slide Wennberg down to the fourth line is a giant plus. Now, if Chytil truly isn't ready then that's a different story.
He's abs gotta play if cleared

Reactions: noncents

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It doesn't matter. He's getting called for everything and it seems that's not gonna change.

He's just not adding enough to warrant playing him IMO

That's a great way to keep a positive locker room. Yeesh.

Thank God Lavi hasn't said anything like this or done anything like that. Imagine doing nothing wrong, being a fan/locker room favorite, and your coach throwing you under the bus because of bad reffing?

That would be what someone like Gallant would do. There’s so much that goes into balance in a lineup and balance on the emotional side. I really don’t envy Lavi, here.

Last edited:

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
That's a great way to keep a positive locker room. Yeesh.

Thank God Lavi hasn't said anything like this or done anything like that. Imagine doing nothing wrong, being a fan/locker room favorite, and your coach throwing you under the bus because of bad reffing?

That would be what someone like Gallant would do. There’s so much that goes into balance in a lineup and balance on the emotional side. I really don’t envy Lavi, here.
he's also not a good hockey player at this level, so there's that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad