Fighting has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Op said he wants fighting gone. He wants it cancelled. That’s where they start first. Next it’ll be cancelling hitting, then cheerleaders, then when all the physicality is gone they’ll call for women to play alongside men.

So because "gone = cancelled" it's "cancel culture"? Was it cancel culture when the league banned playing the puck from outside of the trapezoid? Brodeur was cancelled!!!

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Fighting and hard hits are a large draw for people. I am okay with removing the staged fights and fights over every hard hit. However, it may be better to get out the bad blood in a fight than have someone running around the ice trying to kill someone against the boards.
great post

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Calling someone else stupid for a "difference of opinion" is pretty indicative of some serious projecting on your part.

i'm pretty sure i didn't call you stupid. but it's tempting when you write:

Fighting must serve a purpose if the overwhelming majority of players support it.

blatantly not true lol. that's not a purpose, that's engrained culture. there. is. no. purpose. to. fighting. in. 2021.

Hitting is also inherently dangerous. Routine, benign hitting.

this goes back to "read before you post" because this has already been addressed, multiple times. hitting serves a purpose, to separate a man from the puck. the purpose of fighting, according to you, is the players like it. you realize how ridiculous that sounds, right?

I don't give a shit what other leagues are doing.

that's terrific, truly an intellectual counterpoint if i've ever seen one. there's a reason no other sports tolerate fighting like the nhl, but i guess if you don't give a shit that doesn't warrant consideration. well done, gold star. you win!

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Kassian isnt in the league if fighting was banned. Personally I dont mind a good fight from bad blood. Staged fights or fights from clean hits I can do without. Hockey is a physical sport, lets not turn it into figure skating.
well I'm sure hed easily find life time work as a punching bag

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
the first two examples have nothing to do with masculinity. “Toxic” masculinity is being cancelled out.

That is an incredibly dumb distinction to make.

You can change the rules, as long as it doesn't result in some perceived decrease in "masculinity"? Does actually calling hooking and holding decrease masculinity, since a real man would just fight through all that stuff? I guess it was cancel culture in 2005 when the league cracked down on that stuff.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Fighting is the ultimate masculine event in the sport of hockey. I think it goes without saying. You’re just arguing peripheral stuff for the sake of arguing.

deflect deflect deflect. A cancel culture specialty.

Reactions: SENStastic

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Maybe we should just make the NHL like beer leagues with no hitting, no fighting and no talking back to the refs. :laugh:

C'mon people this is professional hockey!

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Fighting is the ultimate masculine event in the sport of hockey. I think it goes without saying. You’re just arguing peripheral stuff for the sake of arguing.

deflect deflect deflect. A cancel culture specialty.

I'm trying to show you how bad your argument is, but you can't seem to see it.

If you support fighting because it's entertaining or you think it helps police the game, then great, those are solid arguments in favour of it. But if your argument is "the cancel culture" and "but what about masculinity" it makes you come across as being very fragile and it doesn't address any of the reasons that some people think the sport has little need for it anymore.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
I'm trying to show you how bad your argument is, but you can't seem to see it.

If you support fighting because it's entertaining or you think it helps police the game, then great, those are solid arguments in favour of it. But if your argument is "the cancel culture" and "but what about masculinity" it makes you come across as being very fragile and it doesn't address any of the reasons that some people think the sport has little need for it anymore.

lol I think fighting is entertaining and does police the game. I also believe that the cancel culture fanatics want that aspect they deem as “toxic” masculinity removed from the game. Not sure why youre confused.

Reactions: SENStastic

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
lol I think fighting is entertaining and does police the game. I also believe that the cancel culture fanatics want that aspect they deem as “toxic” masculinity removed from the game. Not sure why your confused.

Because your post was about "the cancel culture", not any of those points. It also didn't address any points anyone has made in this thread, so it seems like a bit of a strawman argument.

Reactions: KingArthursCourt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad