Fighting has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Fighting and hard hits are a large draw for people. I am okay with removing the staged fights and fights over every hard hit. However, it may be better to get out the bad blood in a fight than have someone running around the ice trying to kill someone against the boards.

I mean, explain how what happened to Kassian is better then a hard hit?

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
this whole post is beyond dumb. Fighting isn’t allowed in hockey, either. It’s a 5 minute MAJOR penalty. It happens, as I said, in every other sport. Where it’s also not allowed

due to that, as I stated, it will never end. Men going all out like they do, hitting, pushing in front of the net, protecting their players will always have fights.

No one has died from a fight yet, been well over 120 years. Almost seems like the anti-fight community wants one. They always “it WILL happen…” thats morbid.

In every other sport it is at least a an ejection from the game, plus a suspension sometimes. Sitting in the box for 5 minutes isn't even a deterant. So sure it's not technically allowed, but the punishment is so negligible compared to other sports and so it happens way more often than other sports.

Reactions: NyQuil

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
In every other sport it is at least a an ejection from the game, plus a suspension sometimes. Sitting in the box for 5 minutes isn't even a deterant. So sure it's not technically allowed, but the punishment is so negligible compared to other sports and so it happens way more often than other sports.
Sweet, so it's not the same with hockey. Hockey is better with physicality and fighting.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Sweet, so it's not the same with hockey. Hockey is better with physicality and fighting.

I dunno, olympic hockey is pretty great and there's no fighting. Same with women's hockey. The world juniors are super fun, and don't have fighting. I never miss it when the setting is less lenient.

But anyways, it's getting less and less common, so maybe the league won't ever even be obligated to update the rules about fighting.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I dunno, olympic hockey is pretty great and there's no fighting. Same with women's hockey. The world juniors are super fun, and don't have fighting. I never miss it when the setting is less lenient.

But anyways, it's getting less and less common, so maybe the league won't ever even be obligated to update the rules about fighting.
Yeah, it's great hockey... however it's a tournament showcasing the best players in the world. How many of the players on team Canada play with a nasty edge and fight frequently?

You can have great games that end up being 1-0 (Bruins vs Tampa, playoffs 2011 was probably the best game I have ever watched) and you can have games that are super entertaining shit shows, too. You're allowed to like games without and with fighting.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
that’s deep, man lol. i don’t know about a purpose outside the game…my point was that if it’s dangerous, and it doesn’t serve a purpose, and it’s declining anyway, why keep it? what are we clinging to?
It isn't deep at all, I think the obvious is being missed. What is hockey or any other sport for? Literally nothing but entertainment. Do you think when they wrote the rules they thought it served a "purpose " or did they notice how much it entertained? Even today, how many remain seated or leave the room? Is it necessary? No. Is hitting? No. Can the game be played without either? Yes. Do the people prefer it that way? Look at the crowds for your answer. It serves a "purpose ", you are just uncomfortable with the purpose.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
It isn't deep at all, I think the obvious is being missed. What is hockey or any other sport for? Literally nothing but entertainment. Do you think when they wrote the rules they thought it served a "purpose " or did they notice how much it entertained? Even today, how many remain seated or leave the room? Is it necessary? No. Is hitting? No. Can the game be played without either? Yes. Do the people prefer it that way? Look at the crowds for your answer. It serves a "purpose ", you are just uncomfortable with the purpose.

so your position is as long as it's entertaining to the fans, it has to be kept in? think carefully before you answer

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Why does anyone care if two guys who are not you want to fight?

why not take out the hitting too, in fact just make it non contact. Way safer.

Reactions: SENStastic

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why does anyone care if two guys who are not you want to fight?

why not take out the hitting too, in fact just make it non contact. Way safer.

I think what is distinct about fighting is that it stops play in a team-based sport.

If two guys just started fighting and play went on, it would be more consistent with hitting.

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
I like fighting in hockey. But I must say, it’s probably a matter of time before someone gets dropped without their helmet kind of how it happened to Kassian the other day and end up like Michael Schumacher or something

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Because there's no clear demarcation between spectator and participant, and innocent people who want nothing to do with it will get hurt. You know, the exact opposite of fighting in hockey.

f***ing brutal.

putting aside that 2 players don't always both agree to fight before punches are thrown (kassian/tkachuk comes to mind), you don't think speeding laws benefit the speeder as well as unwilling drivers?

it's not a perfect analogy by any means, but if you had even the most basic reading comprehension skills you would see that the purpose was to demonstrate that participants in a system don't always make choices that protect themselves. hence, rules and laws.

f***ing brutal.

Bruisebros2426

Sep 23, 2021
putting aside that 2 players don't always both agree to fight before punches are thrown (kassian/tkachuk comes to mind), you don't think speeding laws benefit the speeder as well as unwilling drivers?

it's not a perfect analogy by any means, but if you had even the most basic reading comprehension skills you would see that the purpose was to demonstrate that participants in a system don't always make choices that protect themselves. hence, rules and laws.

f***ing brutal.
You just equated two people willingly agreeing to fight in a controlled environment where other people aren't involved to two people willingly agreeing to smash into themselves going 100 MPH on a road. You couldn't be further from a perfect analogy. You're also moving goalposts now: is your problem with two players who agree to fight or just when one situation is instigated by another and the other person is left with no choice?

You're confused. Let me know when you get your argument straight.

Reactions: Canadienna

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Fighting is a safety release valve to reduce worse behavior. Which worked well with punching power limited by weight transfer between skates and when the combatants were 5'8" summertime farmers. Fighting has to go, the cure is becoming a poison. If more cheap shit happens with fighting gone than just deal with it.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
I’m fine with heat of the moment fights, but I tell ya, I miss big hits! Feel like the game has sped up so much that big hits are a rarity nowadays

TheYardMachine

Nice guy. Tries hard. Loves the game.
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2018
Why do people bring the argument about hockey being the only sport that accept fighting?
What does it change that we are unique in the aspect? It seems fine to me that sports aren't all the same and that there are actual differences in culture between different sport.

Actually it would kinda sucks if every sports would be the same

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You just equated two people willingly agreeing to fight in a controlled environment where other people aren't involved to two people willingly agreeing to smash into themselves going 100 MPH on a road.

this is clearly a lost cause so i'm not going to spend too much more time on this, but speeding doesn't equal fighting. speeding was part of a broader question of popularity- if the players want to keep it should that be the barometer? no it shouldn't, rules and laws exist to protect people who are too dumb or ignorant on the matter (in this case, the long term medical effects fighting can have).

You're also moving goalposts now: is your problem with two players who agree to fight or just when one situation is instigated by another and the other person is left with no choice?

You're confused. Let me know when you get your argument straight.

i'm not moving goalposts- i've been saying the same exact thing for 2 days now. i can try to make a popup book or something so you can follow along, but essentially i'm saying:

- fighting serves no purpose (and has declined sharply over the last few decades)
- fighting is inherently dangerous
- fighting should be a game misconduct & a 1 game suspension, similar to other sports

there's no confusion on my part. it's called a difference of opinion...you're entitled to yours, but if you want to be taken seriously maybe go back and read the last few pages because i've addressed a lot of this stuff already.

kingsholygrail

2-1-2 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Fighting is a safety release valve to reduce worse behavior. Which worked well with punching power limited by weight transfer between skates and when the combatants were 5'8" summertime farmers. Fighting has to go, the cure is becoming a poison. If more cheap shit happens with fighting gone than just deal with it.
But the cheap shit is what causes those injuries everyone whines about.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
I don't understand the neanderthals who jump up and start cheering when a fight is about to happen, other than that I don't care if they ban it or not, I watch to see my team hopefully score more goals than the opposing team by the end if the game, big hits and fights I couldn't care less about
This you?
tooth.jpg

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I think what is distinct about fighting is that it stops play in a team-based sport.

If two guys just started fighting and play went on, it would be more consistent with hitting.

that would be amazing. lol

Reactions: NyQuil

Bruisebros2426

Sep 23, 2021
this is clearly a lost cause so i'm not going to spend too much more time on this, but speeding doesn't equal fighting. speeding was part of a broader question of popularity- if the players want to keep it should that be the barometer? no it shouldn't, rules and laws exist to protect people who are too dumb or ignorant on the matter (in this case, the long term medical effects fighting can have).

i'm not moving goalposts- i've been saying the same exact thing for 2 days now. i can try to make a popup book or something so you can follow along, but essentially i'm saying:

- fighting serves no purpose (and has declined sharply over the last few decades)
- fighting is inherently dangerous
- fighting should be a game misconduct & a 1 game suspension, similar to other sports

there's no confusion on my part. it's called a difference of opinion...you're entitled to yours, but if you want to be taken seriously maybe go back and read the last few pages because i've addressed a lot of this stuff already.
- Fighting must serve a purpose if the overwhelming majority of players support it.
- Hitting is also inherently dangerous. Routine, benign hitting.
- I don't give a shit what other leagues are doing.

Calling someone else stupid for a "difference of opinion" is pretty indicative of some serious projecting on your part.

Bruisebros2426

Sep 23, 2021
Why do people bring the argument about hockey being the only sport that accept fighting?
What does it change that we are unique in the aspect? It seems fine to me that sports aren't all the same and that there are actual differences in culture between different sport.

Actually it would kinda sucks if every sports would be the same
Creating a banal and sanitized general equivalence between the leagues does nothing other than create a more "palatable product" to market to a wider audience. It does nothing other than make the league more money. I don't give care what any of these other sports are doing, and I don't get why anyone else does either.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Changing the rules slightly is "the cancel culture"? Is there anything that isn't "cancel culture"? :laugh:

Op said he wants fighting gone. He wants it cancelled. That’s where they start first. Next it’ll be cancelling hitting, then cheerleaders, then when all the physicality is gone they’ll call for women to play alongside men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad