Fighting has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Fighting is not "being kept in the game" Its an offense, thus the penalty. People go to jail for fighting in public all the time. Then they go to jail. but that doesnt going to mean its going to stop it from happening

Hockey fans dont care if fighting goes or stays. Promotional people and high up ad execs? Shaking in their boots

Lol what?

Hockey fans who understand the game dont even ask if fighting needs to go - because they understand why its a part of the game and needed.

Staged fights are basically a thing of the past, and most agreed that it was good for the game. But under no circumstances can guys be allowed to play cheap hockey with total impunity either - will never happen.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Oh ffs….the season didn’t even start, is it really necessary to bring this tired bs argument up now? Fighting has been in the game since everyone here started watching so if it bothers you, go watch another sport. I will never understand this, if players themselves were coming out and speaking up against it I’d be much more inclined to listen, but a “fan” thinks it has to go…..the entitlement and the title of the thread are just…yuck

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Exactly, so what is the issue? It’s a penalty, players choose to engage and sit the time mandated by the rules, perfect…it’s taken care of

I think the debate is exactly about how severe of a penalty is necessary to keep players from fighting. The same as with other major penalties such as boarding, charging, spearing.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
I think the debate is exactly about how severe of a penalty is necessary to keep players from fighting. The same as with other major penalties such as boarding, charging, spearing.
Right but you do have to use a bit of context, for example while yes of course players fighting they are trying to hurt each other it’s just different then a true cheap shot that is one sided and doesn’t give the other player a fair chance. If two willing players agree to fight and 5 minutes is the designated time in the box I just can’t see the issue, you really can’t compare fighting to cheap shots I don’t think. One is a very obvious attempt of hurting a defenseless player. You can also only get 2 minutes for a spear or a board, so even within that a lot of context is used. To me, whoever wrote the rules for the NHL had a vision for the game that included fighting, it’s a mandatory 5 but doesn’t remove you from the game completely. Concussions from actual fights are pretty rare, outside of the unfortunate cases like boogard who his type doesn’t even exist in the league anymore a player is way more likely to get one from a hit or a puck to the face, that’s actually been proven. So to me I don’t get the outrage if that’s not even the most dangerous aspect to players, it comes off very holier then thou (not you)and like the previous poster said “conservative “ hockey fans are hell bent on keeping a barbaric aspect of the game, the vast majority of fans love it and you can turn on any game and watch any fight to see most of the arena is loving it, so it’s not a little niche section of fans who can’t let go

PuckThumper11

Nov 6, 2019
So true. Getting brain damage is part and parcel of playing in the NHL. If players don't want to fight to uphold the honor and respect of their teammates, if they don't want to do their job which is entertaining us like monkeys, then they should play soccer instead.

All right. How many former players have brain damage?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
And you can do it step-by-step. In Finland for a long time there's an automatic 1 game suspension if you fight and that only makes fight very rare. Make it 3 games and fighting virtually stops.

I would say the Finnish way has been no additional penalty for spontaneous fights and two-games suspension for staged fights. These two fights happened in the same game, the upper gave nothing, the lower two games each.

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
With most of the sports-people worrying about the increasing amount of head injuries in the game it's quite baffling that bare-knuckle fighting on ice in a ball game is still supported by the conservative hockey fan base. It's just stupid macho shit and it does not have a place in modern hockey. Taking them out of the game reduces head-injuries without changing the game in any meaningful way. Just watched the Oilers-game and what a pointless and dangerous looking injury Kassian suffered as a result of that fight.

And you can do it step-by-step. In Finland for a long time there's an automatic 1 game suspension if you fight and that only makes fight very rare. Make it 3 games and fighting virtually stops.

And yeah yeah, world's gone soft and all that but this is hockey with enough toughness and injuries even as it is. I used to think that fights were okay (never was a fan of that aspect of the game TBH) but with all the evidence about the brain damages and even lost lives of NHL-fighters I've come to think otherwise. Would it really be that bad if fighting was banned?
Might wanna switch sports,like soccer:huh::help:

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I personally hate fighting at this point. Not a fan of brain damage. You're not tough because you embrace it. And you're not a p***y because you find it unnecessary. That being the speed/physicality of the game and the obvious psychopaths wearing Jerseys means it's probably going to happen. I'd like to think people would no longer romanticize violence after all the evidence shows it can destroy lives but that's not happening. This Kassian fight was completely pointless. Spontaneous fights? Yeah it's going to happen.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Anyone who understands the game knows that fighting is already forbidden.

Lmfao. I bet you feel so smart :laugh:

2 handing people in the head with your stick is forbidden. Cutting people with your skates is forbidden.

Hooking, Cross-checking, and fighting are accepted and expected parts of the game (which result in penalties). Nobody gets suspended and or expelled from the league due to a minor penalty.... Nor does any willing participant in a fight. Your back in the game after a short breather by yourself in the box.

Thats hockey.

What a waste of time for you to nitpick my post.

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Craig Berube told my Pop that guys generally dont throw punches as hard as the can unless theres some prior bad blood.

You watch the Chara- Martin fight last year, that was a gentlemen's fight.

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
All right. How many former players have brain damage?

A simple Google search such as "hockey players brain damage" will bring up many entry points to the published literature. If you peruse them carefully, you'll find several articles for you to calculate an answer to you question.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Yes, and every player should wear those human hamster balls; no hitting, no hooking, no slashing. Nothing!!!
upload_2021-10-12_9-52-8.jpeg

Reactions: SENStastic

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Cool so you saw a fight in European hockey. I've also seen fights in baseball and football games, doesn't mean that fighting is part of the game in baseball and football.

Most leagues in Europe you get ejected and suspended if you fight and as a result they don't have as many fights in European hockey (UK is probably an exception). Noticed how they got kicked out of the game after those fights in your video? It's the same with college hockey in the US. It's not "part of the game" in those leagues
^
just lol at this proof... Getting a suspension doesn't mean they "don't have fighting".

Further proof: NHL 21 video game has fighting.
Also, MLB Games had mound charges up until mid 2000's. Charging the mound has always been a part of baseball, part of the unwritten code, and related to one of the points of contact and danger in a non-contact sport.

pls don't embarrass yourself further explaining the basic rules everyone is aware of. I'm not gonna flex on you how long I've lived in Europe, who I've skated with, or how many countless games/fights I've seen. I'm sure you will convince some casuals with tho.

I'm not even strongly pro-fighting, US College rules are good imo.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
^
just lol at this proof... Getting a suspension doesn't mean they "don't have fighting".

Further proof: NHL 21 video game has fighting.
Also, MLB Games had mound charges up until mid 2000's. Charging the mound has always been a part of baseball, part of the unwritten code, and related to one of the points of contact and danger in a non-contact sport.

pls don't embarrass yourself further explaining the basic rules everyone is aware of. I'm not gonna flex on you how long I've lived in Europe, who I've skated with, or how many countless games/fights I've seen. I'm sure you will convince some casuals with tho.

I'm not even strongly pro-fighting, US College rules are good imo.

Just compare the statistics on how many fights there are in NHL/AHL versus KHL/DEL/SEL/Liiga/etc. The latter is drastically lower

I don't care about your background, I've also lived in Europe, and the data doesn't back up your claim

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Just compare the statistics on how many fights there are in NHL/AHL versus KHL/DEL/SEL/Liiga/etc. The latter is drastically lower

I don't care about your background, I've also lived in Europe, and the data doesn't back up your claim
So you lived in UK and never played full contact ice hockey?

Still no proof, yet unconvinced, and nothing to counter the fact that fighting is in NHL 21. :thumbu:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
So you lived in UK and never played full contact ice hockey?

Still no proof, yet unconvinced, and nothing to counter the fact that fighting is in NHL 21. :thumbu:

Where did you get the idea I lived in the UK (Europe is much bigger than the UK) or that I've never played full contact hockey?

Just compare fighting statistics from the KHL, for example. They had less than 80 fighting majors league wide last year, while the NHL had well over 350. Fighting is far less prevalent in Europe and isn't really part of the game. And why do I care if fighting is in a video game? Not sure why you're bringing that in as some sort of gotcha proof

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad