Fighting has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
From the casual fans or fans that I’ve talked to that don’t really watch hockey they have told me the first thing they notice is the scrums and fights, some were even surprised the refs let them fight bare knuckles on skates, they even think the goalies fighting each other were even more entertaining and couldn’t get enough of it.
Agreed.

I'm a bit of a oddity - grew up loving hockey while the rest of my family is rather indifferent...Long story short - those that know me always inquire about the sport and it's history of violence...Most people I know seem genuinely interested in the physical/nasty side of the sport and few if any are turned off by it.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
With most of the sports-people worrying about the increasing amount of head injuries in the game it's quite baffling that bare-knuckle fighting on ice in a ball game is still supported by the conservative hockey fan base. It's just stupid macho shit and it does not have a place in modern hockey. Taking them out of the game reduces head-injuries without changing the game in any meaningful way. Just watched the Oilers-game and what a pointless and dangerous looking injury Kassian suffered as a result of that fight.

And you can do it step-by-step. In Finland for a long time there's an automatic 1 game suspension if you fight and that only makes fight very rare. Make it 3 games and fighting virtually stops.

And yeah yeah, world's gone soft and all that but this is hockey with enough toughness and injuries even as it is. I used to think that fights were okay (never was a fan of that aspect of the game TBH) but with all the evidence about the brain damages and even lost lives of NHL-fighters I've come to think otherwise. Would it really be that bad if fighting was banned?

No. No it doesn't.

Go enjoy your soccer.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Pastore1.jpg

Reactions: um

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Agreed, but if you taught Mike Tyson how to skate in his boxing prime? If he fought he would be ending NHL pros careers more often than not. And not in 10 rounds, more like 10 seconds.

That's very hypothetical. A guy as good as Mike Tyson in boxing is unlikely to end up in the NHL. Even a journeyman true heavy weight would kill guys like Probert and Semenko.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
Fighting and hard hits are a large draw for people. I am okay with removing the staged fights and fights over every hard hit. However, it may be better to get out the bad blood in a fight than have someone running around the ice trying to kill someone against the boards.
I can't believe still believe this. Fighting is so rare nowadays. I hope they get rid of it.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Fighting won't be necessary if the refs did their jobs. Other team sports can exist and entertain without fighting. Fighting exists to keep teams in check. If the refs ensured no player crossed the line or disciplined those who do, then a fight won't be needed to teach someone a lesson.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Didn't the players get polled about this not too long ago, and the consensus from the players was overwhelmingly that they supported fighting?

to me, this is the silliest reason to keep fighting in the game. the players got polled about helmets back in the day, with the majority of players saying wearing them shouldn't be mandated, it should be up to the player.

most of the time, the players aren't smart enough to do things in their best interest. that's why certain rules exist.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That's very hypothetical. A guy as good as Mike Tyson in boxing is unlikely to end up in the NHL. Even a journeyman true heavy weight would kill guys like Probert and Semenko.
Not on skates. Hip movement is almost non existent. Boxing mechanics dont work on the ice.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
They should keep fighting for the simple reason that some players deserve a punch in the face for their cheap actions.

CaptainCrunch28

Jun 1, 2019
Hockey needs way more fighting. Back to where it was 10 or 11 years ago was perfect. Remember how hellacious that years playoffs were? It was crazy

heck they don’t even hit nomore

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I wish all team sports were like hockey.

Imagine if LeBron James tried getting to the rim but was fouled hard. Then immediately he and whoever committed the foul start boxing while the refs just circled waiting for someone to get taken down. And it was just standard procedure for those circumstances.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I wish all team sports were like hockey.

Imagine if LeBron James tried getting to the rim but was fouled hard. Then immediately he and whoever committed the foul start boxing while the refs just circled waiting for someone to get taken down. And it was just standard procedure for those circumstances.

Seeing a guy with that physique throwing hands like Semin would be hilarious

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Did you miss the part of my post where I pointed out that most leagues in the world don't have fighting and it isn't part of the game? So how can you say it's part of hockey?
Prove it.

I've personally seen many fights in DEL, and a lot of "roughing fighting" in KHL and Slovakian Liga. KHL has a lot of fights.

So here's a fight from yesterday in the German 3rd league around 7:30. Again, please prove your statement about "most leagues".

Edit: also at ~6:00, also around 10:00... lol

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
With most of the sports-people worrying about the increasing amount of head injuries in the game it's quite baffling that bare-knuckle fighting on ice in a ball game is still supported by the conservative hockey fan base. It's just stupid macho shit and it does not have a place in modern hockey. Taking them out of the game reduces head-injuries without changing the game in any meaningful way. Just watched the Oilers-game and what a pointless and dangerous looking injury Kassian suffered as a result of that fight.

And you can do it step-by-step. In Finland for a long time there's an automatic 1 game suspension if you fight and that only makes fight very rare. Make it 3 games and fighting virtually stops.

And yeah yeah, world's gone soft and all that but this is hockey with enough toughness and injuries even as it is. I used to think that fights were okay (never was a fan of that aspect of the game TBH) but with all the evidence about the brain damages and even lost lives of NHL-fighters I've come to think otherwise. Would it really be that bad if fighting was banned?

Why do people like you feel the need to White Knight for other people who are highly paid, willing combatants? Nobody is forcing them to fight. Why do you have to care about other people's business? And this ain't Finland, in case you haven't noticed.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Prove it.

I've personally seen many fights in DEL, and a lot of "roughing fighting" in KHL and Slovakian Liga. KHL has a lot of fights.

So here's a fight from yesterday in the German 3rd league around 7:30. Again, please prove your statement about "most leagues".

Edit: also at ~6:00, also around 10:00... lol

Cool so you saw a fight in European hockey. I've also seen fights in baseball and football games, doesn't mean that fighting is part of the game in baseball and football.

Most leagues in Europe you get ejected and suspended if you fight and as a result they don't have as many fights in European hockey (UK is probably an exception). Noticed how they got kicked out of the game after those fights in your video? It's the same with college hockey in the US. It's not "part of the game" in those leagues

Last edited:
Reactions: Pandemonia

EazyE1

Mar 13, 2021
Ridin pine
to me, this is the silliest reason to keep fighting in the game. the players got polled about helmets back in the day, with the majority of players saying wearing them shouldn't be mandated, it should be up to the player.

most of the time, the players aren't smart enough to do things in their best interest. that's why certain rules exist.
Fighting is not "being kept in the game" Its an offense, thus the penalty. People go to jail for fighting in public all the time. Then they go to jail. but that doesnt going to mean its going to stop it from happening

Hockey fans dont care if fighting goes or stays. Promotional people and high up ad execs? Shaking in their boots

Last edited:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I get fighting will be stopped but not for health reasons. We’re only x seasons away from female linesman. Can argue whether or not they “can’t handle it” but surely it will be bad optics when one gets hit by an errant fist.

(just for fun, imagine a 5’8 woman trying to hold off Chara, dangling from his arm :laugh: Slight exaggeration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad