Fighting has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Are there any other sports other than martial arts and hockey where it is considered normal to have fist fights during a game? This is not a rhetorical question, I am trying to think of one.

Auto racing? Maybe not in TOCA or whatever, but it's actually really common for drivers to get into fistfights at drag races, sprint car events, etc. Fights are common in football, at any level of the sport, especially in practice.

Baseball is a great example, hell probably one of the top 5 all time most famous moments in baseball was this:

Baseball is a sport where pitchers being whiny little babies and throwing fastballs at batters is basically just commonly accepted practice. Fighting is entirely fine in a sport where guys are skating at very high speeds around hard boards and equipped with sticks. I fully agree that it's basically necessary in some cases.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Agreed.

I’ve always liked watching a good hockey fight.

But it’s time to consider the short and long term health of the players.

Time to go.

I don't think so. If players want to fight, let them. If the players decide one day that they don't want to fight at all, it's too dangerous then that's fine too. Leave it to them to decide, IMO.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What fighting that should be and can be eliminated from the game is largely eliminated from the game. Sticking up for a teammate or yourself will remain as it has in other sports

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I remember when everyone hated the line brawl between the Oilers and Flames in Feb 2020 :sarcasm:

I especially remember everyone hating the goalie fight between Smith and Talbot and people screaming "will anyone think of the children!?"

Reactions: Dempsey

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
The median team had 12 fights in 56 games last year. If someone is watching a sport because every 4-5 games two guys throw 5 punches each (and miss 4 of them) before grapping and hitting the ice, maybe they should really think about how much they like hockey.
But the game would come unravelled if this 1 punch every 4-5 games didn’t occur. It would be complete goonery and 90% of “true” hockey fans would stop tuning in. /s

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are there any other sports other than martial arts and hockey where it is considered normal to have fist fights during a game? This is not a rhetorical question, I am trying to think of one.

Sure. Most sports. Baseball they fight all the time. As mentioned racing, They fight because getting taken out is a dangerous play and players are willing to fight about it. The penalties for fighting in racing are far less than in hockey. They fight in basketball with regularlity. They dont fight much in football because of the gear they wear only.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
IDK man. those computers at the bowling alley that keep your score? they might have germs on them. Probably ban that too. Oh and the bowling balls and shoes?! Could drop it and injure your toe.

Damn you could lose your money playing poker. BANNED.

Hot dogs and nachos at the concession stand could be detrimental to your health. BANNED AND ILLEGAL

what's the HF record for most bad faith arguments by one person in a day? this guy's coming for the crown

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
If fighting was banned, Kassian wouldn't have been hurt because he wouldn't be in the NHL in the first f***ing place. I agree. Get rid of fighting and the clowns that do it. Punching bags like Kassian are taking roster spots away from players who might actually be good.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Auto racing? Maybe not in TOCA or whatever, but it's actually really common for drivers to get into fistfights at drag races, sprint car events, etc. Fights are common in football, at any level of the sport, especially in practice.

Baseball is a great example, hell probably one of the top 5 all time most famous moments in baseball was this:

Baseball is a sport where pitchers being whiny little babies and throwing fastballs at batters is basically just commonly accepted practice. Fighting is entirely fine in a sport where guys are skating at very high speeds around hard boards and equipped with sticks. I fully agree that it's basically necessary in some cases.

In all of those sports, fighting gets you ejected from the game (and potentially future games). That will happen in the NHL, eventually.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But the game would come unravelled if this 1 punch every 4-5 games didn’t occur. It would be complete goonery and 90% of “true” hockey fans would stop tuning in. /s

I think you are giving too much credit if you think fighting deters behavior. Behavior can bring consequences but rarely do the consequences stop a behavior.

What is a "true" hockey fan?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Fighting might prevent horrifying acts of violence.
That’s stupid and part of what’s wrong with dinosaur hockey culture. By that logic how come players aren’t murdering each other in the NFL? Are hockey players caveman?

EazyE1

Mar 13, 2021
Ridin pine
what's the HF record for most bad faith arguments by one person in a day? this guy's coming for the crown
I'm a stand up comedian at heart, I get in where I fit in ya heard. =) And I'm not really sure what you mean exactly by having a "bad faith argument" because a stranger online has an opinion on a message board? heh.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'll never understand the "if there wasn't fighting people would be running each other from behind all the time" argument. There's less fighting than there's ever been, there are also less cheap shots than there's ever been. Fighting doesn't reduce cheap shots. If anything it just keeps raising the temperature and keeps players trying to out stupid each other.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
sucks he fell like that, and hope he's OK.

Fighting is already half of what it was only a few years ago, and will probably be gone in another few years. I wish it were the way it used to be, honestly. Not so much for the gore, but for the reduction in cheap shots and accountability. Yes, I still think there's a lot of cheap shots.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
And this is where they'll probably lose me as a fan, and it's not because of the violence aspect, but because the game would be an absolute crap show.

How so? Fighting is essentially banned from NCAA hockey. Is college hockey a "crap show"? Of course not. It's just as intense as the NHL, CHL, etc. It's great hockey.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Should we ban hitting too? It's not necessary anymore and players get injured all the time trying to be physical
what about shot-blocking? that's the goalie's job, not the players...no need to risk injury by blocking shots

EazyE1

Mar 13, 2021
Ridin pine
Should we ban hitting too? It's not necessary anymore and players get injured all the time trying to be physical
what about shot-blocking? that's the goalie's job, not the players...no need to risk injury by blocking shots
Well the NFL never banned hitting, to their opponents or significant others.

Reactions: Summer Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad