Favourite Russian Hab

• Andrei Markov

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Alexei Kovalev

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
One of my favorite lines all time was K-L-S (Alex Kovalev, Robert Lang, Martin Straka). Lang and Straka were strong two-way forwards, creative offensively too so it complimented Kovalev well. Too bad they didn't get to play together for very long. After the Habs traded for Lang was hoping they would add Straka and re-unite the line. Such is the fluidity of rosters though, enjoy your favorites while you can.

That Pittsburgh powerplay used to have 5 forwards which was unheard of at that time.

Mario, jagr, kovalev, straka, Lang

Looking at it on paper, it's almost as if there's too many chefs in the kitchen as there are 3 guys there that love to have the PP run through them, but if my memory serves, it was a deadly PP.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
If we count also ethnic Russians from other countries then late Sergei Zholtok for me, RIP.

However the correct answer in this thread should obviously be Markov.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
If Markov isn't the unanimous vote I'll be extremely disappointed.
For sure . While kovalev was the most talented , can’t see any logical explanation for this being anyone else then markov.
Even this reply make me curse mb not bringing him back . And he dared to say you want loyalty buy a dog…. Well it’s Markov that needed the dog

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
That Pittsburgh powerplay used to have 5 forwards which was unheard of at that time.

Mario, jagr, kovalev, straka, Lang

Looking at it on paper, it's almost as if there's too many chefs in the kitchen as there are 3 guys there that love to have the PP run through them, but if my memory serves, it was a deadly PP.

Don't know who the first team to go with 5 forwards on the powerplay was. First time I noticed it was the early to mid 1960's Hawks led by Hull & Mikita. May have predated them too. Flash Hollett was the first dman to score 20 goals in the 1940's and it took some kid named Orr to finally break that record.

Edit: Seem to remember Bobby Hull playing the left point at the time. Found this thread from the History forum that may be of interest:

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Malakhov simply didn't care much about the Habs. He wanted to get out. His final season and gestures towards the fans were signals to upper management to just send him packing. Roy had started a trend. Many others including Recchi and Savage followed suit.

Starts around the 4 minute mark. Truly a scene to watch.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I absolutely loved all of Kovalev, Radulov, Kovalchuk, and Markov - and even Petrov was a light during those dark years.

Gald we'll have Demidov. Would have liked both Demidov and Michkov. But I'm happy with Reinbacher.
Man imagine getting Radulov or Kovalchuk during their prime and for a prolong time. That would have been something. Watching Kovalchuk at the end of his career was truly a sight to see. He brought a buzz on the ice which up to that point we hadn't seen since Radulov and Subban were on the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad