• Andrei Markov

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Alexei Kovalev

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Ilya Kovalchuk 3 week tenure with us was awesome. He had a presence and charisma that only a superstar player could bring. Even washed up he was miles ahead most of the scrubs Bergevin had assembled. He brought some much needed excitement during an era that was very dull and lacked any sort of offensive creativity.

He had a lot of memorable moments for someone who barely stayed here. I wish we had him during his prime, he would have been up there with some of the Habs all-time greats. He was one of my favorite player growing up and I will always remember those 20 games he played for us.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Inspired by the articles below and the promise of potentially having a homegrown Russian star player, who are some of your favourite Russian players to play for the Habs?

Markov was the clear highest contributor, especially after playing nearly 1000 games for us.

But Kovalev brought an excitement and electricity that left the greater imprint on many.

Reactions: donghabs98

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Sorry bud
View attachment 897324
I do 100% love The General too tho, bigtime
Kovalev was so supremely frustrating because he had the talent to have his 07-08 year EVERY year.

Still I think I’d pick him too. Markov never really looked too hot in the playoffs.

Kovy is one of the most skilled players ever.
Just extraordinary to watch.

Drafting his illegitimate son this past draft was a huge coup for us. Getting those bloodlines back is very exciting

Ilya Kovalchuk 3 week tenure with us was awesome. He had a presence and charisma that only a superstar player could bring. Even washed up he was miles ahead most of the scrubs Bergevin had assembled. He brought some much needed excitement during an era that was very dull and lacked any sort of offensive creativity.

He had a lot of memorable moments during his short stint. I wish we had him during his prime, he would have been up there with some of the Habs all-time greats. He was one of my favorite player growing up and I will always remember those 20 games he played for us.
Too bad we couldn’t hold on to Radulov (biggest mistake MB ever made player decision wise imo.) or have him earlier.
He was an absolute beauty. Definitely one of my favourite Habs

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Sergei Samsonov

I kid, I kid. Andrei Markov. That's my real answer. Although I loved the short-lived time we had Ilya Kovalchuk.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I was at the draft at the Forum when Serge Savard called his name. Huge roar from all of us there, the highlight of the drafts I attended.

If The General had played on the Seventies Habs, it would have been the Big 4 on defense. If only Ilya Kovalchuk could have spent more of his career in Montreal, what a talent.

He was at the end of the trail when he got to the Habs but I always liked Sergei Gonchar. Great skater and one of the best offensive dmen of his era.

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
IMO, Radulov is better than Kovalev. Kovalev played 1 game on 4. Radulov have always been consistent guy with intensity.

Imagine the skillset of Kovalev but with consistency, intensity and no day off.

That's Radulov..

Reactions: Paddyjack

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
IMO, Radulov is better than Kovalev. Kovalev played 1 game on 4. Radulov have always been consistent guy with intensity.

Imagine the skillset of Kovalev but with consistency, intensity and no day off.

That's Radulov..

I absolutely loved all of Kovalev, Radulov, Kovalchuk, and Markov - and even Petrov was a light during those dark years.

Gald we'll have Demidov. Would have liked both Demidov and Michkov. But I'm happy with Reinbacher.

Reactions: donghabs98

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I absolutely loved all of Kovalev, Radulov, Kovalchuk, and Markov - and even Petrov was a light during those dark years.

Gald we'll have Demidov. Would have liked both Demidov and Michkov. But I'm happy with Reinbacher.

Yess!! Demidov will be a fan favorite for many years to come. Finally we have a young star Russian at forward that we are going to see develop with us!

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Malakhov simply didn't care much about the Habs. He wanted to get out. His final season and gestures towards the fans were signals to upper management to just send him packing. Roy had started a trend. Many others including Recchi and Savage followed suit.

Malakhov marched to the beat of his own drum. The guy could look like a norris level dman at times, but it seemed to me that playing hockey was more like a job than a passion for him.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Kovalev is my favorite Hab in my lifetime. Guy was just an absolute beast when he was on. No one compares.

Markov obviously for his impact/dedication to the team. Look at the theme for his wedding. True Hab for life and I hope we mend that fence at some point. Cherry on top for why MB is a loser.

Radulov was amazing in his year here too. Wish we kept him longer. Scored the biggest goal I've ever seen in a live game (OT vs the Rangers) so I'm biased.

I loved seeing Kovalchuk here during his time too. A guy on his way out that was really revitalized by the city and his passion for hockey. It made me wish we had him at a younger age (which makes me excited for Demidov all over again).

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Kovelev.

I remember where I was when we traded for him. Wasn't that a nice day!

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I think people forget how lazy and inconsistent Kovalev was. Sure, at times he was the beat player on the ice. When he felt like it. Some nights he was the worst. In no way was he the beat Russian player to ever play for the Habs. in NO way.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think people forget how lazy and inconsistent Kovalev was. Sure, at times he was the beat player on the ice. When he felt like it. Some nights he was the worst. In no way was he the beat Russian player to ever play for the Habs. in NO

He had that one really bad year, but he followed it up with an excellent season immediately following. He was consistently good in the playoffs too.

I have him at #2 but I can see a case being made for #1... everyone has a different timeline and criteria of what makes someone their favourote player.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think people forget how lazy and inconsistent Kovalev was. Sure, at times he was the beat player on the ice. When he felt like it. Some nights he was the worst. In no way was he the beat Russian player to ever play for the Habs. in NO way.
That narrative is overblown.

Markov for longevity, reliability, consistency but Kovalev (like Subban) brought sexier moments and that's what it's all about as a fan. Helmet-less Kovalev scoring THAT goal, the elbow on Tucker, etc.

I love Russian players, I love how inscrutable they are sometimes, I love how sarcastic they are with the media, I love how it fries the brains of most Canadian fans. Demidov soon.

• Love
Reactions: the and Walrus26

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
One of my favorite lines all time was K-L-S (Alex Kovalev, Robert Lang, Martin Straka). Lang and Straka were strong two-way forwards, creative offensively too so it complimented Kovalev well. Too bad they didn't get to play together for very long. After the Habs traded for Lang was hoping they would add Straka and re-unite the line. Such is the fluidity of rosters though, enjoy your favorites while you can.

• Love
Reactions: the

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad