Fasth or Hiller

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
It is because they're Konungariket, and Finland is not. Can't mix them peasants and royalty...

On a serious note, I still think Hiller. I've seen Hiller carry the team on his back countless times (especially at times when discrepancy between SA and SF was huge, as well as for scoring chances for and against), Fasth has only done it once this season.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Only if you took geography classes in 1800, which I doubt.

-
Fasth is solid, he has proven he's not a playoff choker, so don't expect it if you have not seen him before. This is not really a case of "hey we have a rookie with a hot start, he'll cool off and be like most rookies, below average".
No, I'm quite correct about my own education. Europe (outside of England, France, and Germany) get about a week's worth of time in American public elementary schools. So they could refer to your area as Sheepsheadia, and it wouldn't really matter.

No one here knows what to expect of Fasth long term. We have seen the label of most-talented-[something]-outside-the-NHL applied to some serious flops. Jiri Dopita comes to mind. We'll see.

edit - ha!
Sometimes the term Scandinavia is also taken to include Iceland, the Faroe Islands, and Finland, on account of their historical association with the Scandinavian countries.[2] Such usage, however, may be considered inaccurate in the area itself, where the term Nordic countries instead refers to this broader group.[3]

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
No, I'm quite correct about my own education. Europe (outside of England, France, and Germany) get about a week's worth of time in American public elementary schools. So they could refer to your area as Sheepsheadia, and it wouldn't really matter.

No one here knows what to expect of Fasth long term. We have seen the label of most-talented-[something]-outside-the-NHL applied to some serious flops. Jiri Dopita comes to mind. We'll see.

edit - ha!

Why would you HA! you being wrong? :help:
Such usage, however, may be considered inaccurate in the area itself, where the term Nordic countries instead refers to this broader group.[3]

The most talented goalies who played in Sweden in recent years has been: Lundqvist, Gustavsson and Fasth. Lundqvist is the best goalie in the NHL, Gustavsson struggled, which a lot of people say is due to the goalie coach as he was fantastic when he first arrived, and Fasth is so far continuing his good play since his arrival from Sweden.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Why would you HA! you being wrong? :help:

I didn't.

The most talented goalies who played in Sweden in recent years has been: Lundqvist, Gustavsson and Fasth. Lundqvist is the best goalie in the NHL, Gustavsson struggled, which a lot of people say is due to the goalie coach as he was fantastic when he first arrived, and Fasth is so far continuing his good play since his arrival from Sweden.

This is a common argument, but doesn't prove anything. It puts Lundqvist and Fasth in the same picture, but there's no penny in the picture for scale. We have no idea what the gap is between them.

DisneyDucky

Feb 5, 2012
Linköping
it is because they're konungariket, and finland is not. Can't mix them peasants and royalty...

on a serious note, i still think hiller. I've seen hiller carry the team on his back countless times (especially at times when discrepancy between sa and sf was huge, as well as for scoring chances for and against), fasth has only done it once this season.

Legit_6757a9_2078678.jpg

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
What's the workload like overseas? Has Fasth ever been subjected to anything like the number of games in a short timespan like he'll get in the NHL? Especially this season? And what's his (hopefully lack of) injury history? He's never played more than 58 games in a season (including playoffs) according to the stats on NHL.com, that's not too many to be calling him a guaranteed starter. I think he needs to show the mental and physical ability to play more (in addition to what happens when people get film on him) before he's considered a safe bet.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
i don't know about fasth, he's a 30 year old coming out of nowhere, i'm not quite sure he could be a decent goaltender as a number 1 on a full season..

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
i don't know about fasth, he's a 30 year old coming out of nowhere, i'm not quite sure he could be a decent goaltender as a number 1 on a full season..

For you nowhere equals Sweden, really? Then what the hell is Switzerland (talking about hockey)?

We'll have to wait and see if Fasth keeps it up and how Hiller respond, it's not that difficult.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I wasn't being snarky with my questions, I'm honestly curious how the workload overseas compares. Can any of the Swedish posters comment on any of it?

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
What's the workload like overseas? Has Fasth ever been subjected to anything like the number of games in a short timespan like he'll get in the NHL? Especially this season? And what's his (hopefully lack of) injury history? He's never played more than 58 games in a season (including playoffs) according to the stats on NHL.com, that's not too many to be calling him a guaranteed starter. I think he needs to show the mental and physical ability to play more (in addition to what happens when people get film on him) before he's considered a safe bet.

No the schedule is not as hectic. As far as I remember he had injury problems in his career, but has not had anything big in a long time. His mental ability is fantastic, nothing to worry about there at least. Also is anyone a guaranteed starter?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
No the schedule is not as hectic. As far as I remember he had injury problems in his career, but has not had anything big in a long time. His mental ability is fantastic, nothing to worry about there at least. Also is anyone a guaranteed starter?

No, of course not. But there are too many people saying based on 7 games its ok to ditch Hiller now (who has been a proven starter). Thanks for the feedback :)

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I wasn't being snarky with my questions, I'm honestly curious how the workload overseas compares. Can any of the Swedish posters comment on any of it?

Workload and number of games is much higher in the NHL, big difference.

Talking about Fasth this is a question mark but personally I'm not that worried. Hopefully Fasth won't have to start all games. ;-)

Fasthnator

Feb 10, 2013
Elitserien is the third toughest league after NHL and KHL. So Fasth isn't exactly coming "out of nowhere".

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
well i actually had no idea where fasth played before -should have looked it up- anyway what i mean is that it's tough to establish as a number 1 in the NHL as a 30 year-old

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Hockey is about winning games, old meriths doesnt counts!
We should gladely take on Fasth and even overpay him a bit(saves us bucks anyway).
Gw goalies at nhl level isnt easy to find, and hes showned consistness earlier in his career.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
@icemancometh: Fasth joins Ray Emery (OTT) and Bob Froese (PHI) as goalies to win their first eight or more NHL decisions.

What's with all the ex-Ducks on this list :laugh:

EDIT - just saw on NHL on the Fly - Emery holds the record with 9 wins (took several years though).

Last edited:

icebluuu

May 15, 2011
Being a fan of Fasths's former team, AIK, I am both biased and somewhat in the loop on his previous performance. AIK has been a grinding team with few truly talented players since being promoted so the SEL. Fasth carried us through those seasons, because simply put, the team was not good enough to get a win with whatever backup we had in net. If he let in 2 goals, we were unlikely to get a win. He did not play as much as a nr 1 in the NHL, but his workload per game was huge. He had to bail us out more often than not, making big saves.

Also, despite having fewer games per season than the NHL, there are regular national team tournaments during the season, where Fasth saw action. Look at the 11-12 season for instance. He played 46 regular season games, another 12 playoff games, and 23 national team games. That's 81 games in one season. The season before he had 68 games.

The regular season starts in mid-September, and the semifinals (where AIK were eliminated both years) end in early-April. On average, Fasth played two games a week, on a team he had to consistently bail out, for the entire season. He is now on a Ducks team that is playing well, and he does not see the 30+ shots he saw most night in the SEL, plus this is a shortened season.

In conclusion, I see no reason why he could not sustain this level of play, at least this season.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich

He's not exactly coming out of nowhere, as he has been referred to as the best goalie playing in Europe for quite some time.
Don't forget where Hiller comes from.

And I guess the answer to this question depends on Hillers play. I don't expect Fasths numbers to decrease drastically (something around .92 / 2.1-2.3 GAA would be what I expect from him), so Hiller definitely needs to improve. But he always was a slow starter and went on a tear in the second half of the season, so I'm not really worried about him.

Since this is a shortened season I think we will see Fasth having about 25-30 starts in the regular season with Hiller playing about 70% of the games in the playoffs.

If the things stay like this or Fasths numbers will come down to the area I predicted, the Ducks have most likely one of the best goalie duos in the league.

eenok*

neutrality, ...please.

hiller no good. do you watch hockey or do you DRINK an "watch"? thank you

EENOK, Hockeyprofessor,IL Finland

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
neutrality, ...please.

hiller no good. do you watch hockey or do you DRINK an "watch"? thank you

EENOK, Hockeyprofessor,IL Finland

The true question is more if you drink and "post", isn't it? :laugh:

On a serious note, if you followed the Ducks over the past few years and not only since they let Sami Vatanen play, you would know, that Hiller is a great late season performer and often struggles early. But, whatever... You are the "hockeyprofessor", right?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad