Fasth or Hiller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I have to say that the first time i saw Fasth in Anaheim i was pretty nervous because the only game which i have seen him playing before was the IHWC 2011 Finals... and he let 6 goals in, 5 in the 3rd. Well it wasn't all his fault but still... 5 goals, 1 perioid.

But now that i have seen him playing for my favourite NHL team, im actually pretty impressed, but still, 5 goals in 1 perioid. He was the tournaments best goalie thou...

but wha about pressure? In the regular season he has been solid so far but what about play-offs? There is a change that he might break there.

But i would like to see more Fasth than Hiller in the regular season, at least now that hes been winning.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Fasth is 7-0, an experienced goalie with a great record from Sweden but a lot of fans in Anaheim still prefer Hiller? It's surprising but in the same way a big proof of Hillers popularity among the fans, good for him.

It's still very early though, the best situation for Anaheim would be a strong competition between the goalies with both of them playing good.

One thing is for sure, in Sweden we are not surprised because we knew about Fast's greatness and the history of being a late bloomer in Sweden.

In Sweden Fasth made a rather poor struggling team (AIK) looking like a strong playoff contender. AIK is one of the toughest team to play for in Europe because of an extremely wild and demanding fan base, 'Black Army'. AIK is the most hated team in Sweden, no doubts about it. ;-)

Fasth is calm, a competitor and strong mentally.

If NHL adjustment, rebound control and the five hole issue continue to improve he may establish himself as a top ten NHL goalie.

DisneyDucky

Feb 5, 2012
Linköping
Fasth is 7-0, an experienced goalie with a great record from Sweden but a lot of fans in Anaheim still prefer Hiller? It's surprising but in the same way a big proof of Hillers popularity among the fans, good for him.

It's still very early though, the best situation for Anaheim would be a strong competition between the goalies with both of them playing good.

One thing is for sure, in Sweden we are not surprised because we knew about Fast's greatness and the history of being a late bloomer in Sweden.

In Sweden Fasth made a rather poor struggling team (AIK) looking like a strong playoff contender. AIK is one of the toughest team to play for in Europe because of an extremely wild and demanding fan base, 'Black Army'. AIK is the most hated team in Sweden, no doubts about it. ;-)

Fasth is calm, a competitor and strong mentally.

If NHL adjustment, rebound control and the five hole issue continue to improve he may establish himself as a top ten NHL goalie.

I dont think its weird to take NHL-veteran Hiller before someone who has just played 8games.

And frickin no one in sweden expected him to go 7-0 in his first starts.

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
I have the pleasure of having to know Fasth when he played in my favourite team in Sweden and I got to inform you that he is not the kind of person that just f**ks a team over by demanding an outrageous salery if he gets a deal.

Just make sure his family and especially his newborn daughter is having a nice time and im pretty sure he will sign a good deal for both the club and for himself.
So if the club wants Fasth Im absolutely sure he will stay because he would like to give something back to the club that believed in him.

Ted Brautigan

Dec 16, 2011
Hiller is the one who brings the Cup this season. Fasth maybe in the future. Fasth may melt in playoffs.

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
I dont think its weird to take NHL-veteran Hiller before someone who has just played 8games.

Talk for yourself.
I have watched all games for his old team in Sweden and he is the best goalie I've seen in AIK-jersey. Even better than Kiprusoff and Tim Thomas.
Hiller is the one who brings the Cup this season. Fasth maybe in the future. Fasth may melt in playoffs.
In Sweden the two last playoffs he played even better in playoffs.
So keep your stupid comments for yourself just because he had a bad final in WC where noone in defense helped him out.

Playoffs in Sweden first year;
2010-11 AIK Elitserien 42 2.26 .925 | Playoffs 8 1.78 .945
Second year;
2011-12 AIK Elitserien 46 2.04 .934 | Playoffs 12 2.79 .921

According to me he played pretty much worse the second year than the first as a whole.
He didn't have the greatest of seasons and not in playoffs either.

Last edited:

DisneyDucky

Feb 5, 2012
Linköping
Talk for yourself.
I have watched all games for his old team in Sweden and he is the best goalie I've seen in AIK-jersey. Even better than Kiprusoff and Tim Thomas.

So keep your stupid comments for yourself just because he had a bad final in WC where noone in defense helped him out.

And I have not? I've been a fan since he signed with AIK and hold him very high. But if you actually thought he would have this good of a start on record you're crazy. Being undefeated after 8games is an amazing start and I dont know how many more rookie goalies who has accomplished that. He's a very good goalie, the best AIK have had in many many years I'll give you that, but he still has his flaws like highshots and sometimes rebound controll.

Hillers been in the NHL for some time now and is at his best a top goalie in the league, until Fasth shows that he can hold this level over seasons I wouldnt be so dismissive about Hiller.

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
And I have not? I've been a fan since he signed with AIK and hold him very high. But if you actually thought he would have this good of a start on record you're crazy. Being undefeated after 8games is an amazing start and I dont know how many more rookie goalies who has accomplished that. He's a very good goalie, the best AIK have had in many many years I'll give you that, but he still has his flaws like highshots and sometimes rebound controll.

Hillers been in the NHL for some time now and is at his best a top goalie in the league, until Fasth shows that he can hold this level over seasons I wouldnt be so dismissive about Hiller.
Where have I been dismissive about Hiller?

And yes he has flaws.. Highshots you say? I dont agree with you on that.
The only real flaw I see on Fasth is the five-hole.
And also he is one of the best around the goalcrease and with his stick. That gives the team defense a massive boost as you can see.

Hiller is a good goalie but he doesn't look as confident as Fasth does out there and that affects the team defense.

DisneyDucky

Feb 5, 2012
Linköping
Where have I been dismissive about Hiller?

And yes he has flaws.. Highshots you say? I dont agree with you on that.
The only real flaw I see on Fasth is the five-hole.
And also he is one of the best around the goalcrease and with his stick. That gives the team defense a massive boost as you can see.

Hiller is a good goalie but he doesn't look as confident as Fasth does out there and that affects the team defense.

He is pretty weak when you get it right over his shoulders, he isnt the biggest goalie. However I must say that mentally he might be one of the best goalies in the world. He really is a 6th forward/defender on his team with his constant communication and really pushes the guys infront of him. Just look at the difference between him and D.Larsson.

Ted Brautigan

Dec 16, 2011
Talk for yourself.

Playoffs in Sweden first year;
2010-11 AIK Elitserien 42 2.26 .925 | Playoffs 8 1.78 .945
Second year;
2011-12 AIK Elitserien 46 2.04 .934 | Playoffs 12 2.79 .921

According to me he played pretty much worse the second year than the first as a whole.
He didn't have the greatest of seasons and not in playoffs either.

Hi fanboy. It's little bit different to play playoffs in Sweden than in NHL. I would't go playoffs with Fasth. If he keep winning and if he shows much more effort in the regular season than Hiller, then he earn to be number uno. At this point Jonas is still first.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
I would assume Hiller gets more starts but it can't be taken for granted. Fasth has had some injuries in the past and if he picks up another injury that will also be a factor obviously.

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
Hi fanboy. It's little bit different to play playoffs in Sweden than in NHL. I would't go playoffs with Fasth. If he keep winning and if he shows much more effort in the regular season than Hiller, then he earn to be number uno. At this point Jonas is still first.
Hi homer. What is the difference?

Ted Brautigan

Dec 16, 2011
Hi homer. What is the difference?

If you don't know what is the difference between Elitserien and NHL, use your imagination. Better players, much faster game, pressure is little harder against Chicago than against Luleå etc etc..

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Sorry, I expressed myself poorly.

What I meant is that nobody (or very few) in Sweden is surprised that Fasth is playing very good for Anaheim because Fasth is special.

Having won both the Honken Trophy award for best goalie and the Guldpucken (Golden Puck) award for best player overvall we new he was a very good goalie.

I agree though that a 7-0 start is better than expected.

I also agree that the difference between hockey in Sweden and the NHL is big, no doubts about it.

It's extremely difficult foreseeing who is going to make it in the NHL or not. Unfortunately not many Swedish goalies succeed in the NHL.

NHL: Faster pace, more shots, more physical, small ice... not the forget the best hockey league with the best players in the world.

A lot of Swedish goalies struggles with poor rebound control coming to North America, why, I'm not really sure of.

Sweden with perhaps only two real star goalies in the NHL, Henrik Lundqvist and Pelle Lindbergh (both Vezina winners).

Then we may have a bunch of average ones like Hedberg, Salo, Lindbäck, Enroth, Söderström, Tellqvist.

On the bright side we have some extremely good looking prospects like Lehner, Markström and Läck.

Our small neighbour country Finland ;-) is way ahead of Sweden talking about NHL goalies in general.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
but wha about pressure? In the regular season he has been solid so far but what about play-offs? There is a change that he might break there.
I would not worry about that, at all. As a goalie, the game actually becomes easier in the playoffs. Teams stick to simpler game plans, don't make as much fancy passing or deking plays, and simply take shots. That usually helps goalies, and especially with Fasth's style, I don't have any worries in that regard. Pressure is something people talk about too much when it comes to goalies. With a good attitude and mental game, pressure is always around, especially in Fasth's situation here in Anaheim, as he's fighting to keep his starting job over an established star in Hiller. That's pressure itself. It's all about being used to things, and at Fasth's age and with his professional experience, pressure won't do much to him. When something like that game against Finland happens, people always talk about pressure, but usually, that's not the big factor at that level. It's what happens at every level - having a terrible day, at the worst possible time. Bounces going the other way. All those things. For goalies, pressure is a very well-known companion.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I have the pleasure of having to know Fasth when he played in my favourite team in Sweden and I got to inform you that he is not the kind of person that just f**ks a team over by demanding an outrageous salery if he gets a deal.

Just make sure his family and especially his newborn daughter is having a nice time and im pretty sure he will sign a good deal for both the club and for himself.
So if the club wants Fasth Im absolutely sure he will stay because he would like to give something back to the club that believed in him.

That's always good to hear, ViCiieux. However, AIK probably did a lot more for longer to earn Viktor's loyalty, so I do think it would be out of character for him to consider a few more options than back in Sweden. One certainly couldn't blame him.

Any way, I don't think there's a reason to believe there are many other teams he'd prefer to be on, right now. Sure, he wants to be a starter in the league, that's what he said, and that's very understandable. But players look at these situations quite differently than fans do. We'd look and see him there with Hiller, and rationally expect his chances to be limited when Hiller plays at his best. For Fasth, he knows Hiller know (and apart from them seeming to get along fine), and at the moment, he would rightfully feel like being the starter. At this point, there's no reason for him to feel like he can't be the starter for the Anaheim Ducks. (I'm purely talking about his subjective view there.) So, unless Hiller starts playing lights out and so consistently that Boudreau finds himself in a struggle to find games he can give to Fasth, I don't think his aspirations will prevent him from re-signing. The bigger question mark, to me, is money and his representation. That's a bit of a wild card, with relatively limited comarables that work on many levels. But for now, I'd be quite optimistic to retain him.

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I have to say that the first time i saw Fasth in Anaheim i was pretty nervous because the only game which i have seen him playing before was the IHWC 2011 Finals... and he let 6 goals in, 5 in the 3rd. Well it wasn't all his fault but still... 5 goals, 1 perioid.

But now that i have seen him playing for my favourite NHL team, im actually pretty impressed, but still, 5 goals in 1 perioid. He was the tournaments best goalie thou...

But i would like to see more Fasth than Hiller in the regular season, at least now that hes been winning.

As you wrote, it was not really his fault, and there's a reason he is not blamed for that in Sweden. The team dissapeared and left him out. He does not choke.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
As to the thread subject, I think it will be interesting to see what happens when the team hits a little adversity. When they lose 3 or 4 in a row, how will either goalie look? How do they handle it? Injuries aside I they come close to sharing the ice time the rest of the way.

I'm kind of wondering if Hiller's vertigo really is gone or if it pops up from time to time unannounced. Not so much anything noticeable to everyday life but noticeable when trying to stop 90mph pucks in the NHL. I'm not so sure we will ever see the pre vertigo Hiller again. But hopefully I'm wrong.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Overnight scandinavian fight!

However well Fasth plays, I wouldn't expect the Vezina to go to an Anaheim goalie anytime in the next forever.

Most of the Swedes who has seen him seem to agree. Can't see the scandinavian fight. Unless you think Finland is part of scandinavia, in which case you are wrong.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Most of the Swedes who has seen him seem to agree. Can't see the scandinavian fight. Unless you think Finland is part of scandinavia, in which case you are wrong.
Less literal, more groovy, please.

edit - and actually when I was still young enough to take geography classes, I was taught that Finland was included. Apparently it's controversial.

Disclaimer: no jokes are intended to expressly or impliedly support or oppose any political, social, or philosophical position, movement, or mindset. Please interpret jokes as if the factual assertions they contain are correct while deleting any inhibitive undertones you may believe you detect.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
we can't sign fasth to a 1 year 3-4.5m year contract. its not doable with our twins needing contracts

Ok,

If Fasth continue like this >4,5 is probably more realistic?

You would rather keep Hiller than sign a future NHL top ten goalie for about 5 millions?

Pure speculations.... of course. ;-)

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Less literal, more groovy, please.

edit - and actually when I was still young enough to take geography classes, I was taught that Finland was included. Apparently it's controversial.

Disclaimer: no jokes are intended to expressly or impliedly support or oppose any political, social, or philosophical position, movement, or mindset. Please interpret jokes as if the factual assertions they contain are correct while deleting any inhibitive undertones you may believe you detect.

Only if you took geography classes in 1800, which I doubt.

-
Fasth is solid, he has proven he's not a playoff choker, so don't expect it if you have not seen him before. This is not really a case of "hey we have a rookie with a hot start, he'll cool off and be like most rookies, below average".

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Give him a break. ;-)

Nordic, ok?

Please no fights, this is the Ducks forum. We would embarrass ourselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad