Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Can we create a poll
Those who blindly love the first trade vs those who overly criticized it

we don’t even need to know what the trade is to know where we stand

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Everyone is underrating tf outta Miller on the main boards. If he goes to NYR or Minny (One if Laf/Kakko Is included or One of Boldy/Rossi) End of discussion. Laf+Lundqvist for Miller @50%+Motte.
If I was in NYR position I make that trade every day of the damn week. I regret not going all in even more from 2009-2012. Jeff Carter should have been acquired for prospects at that time.

I think getting back one of Kakko/Lafreniere is more likely than Boldy/Rossi. NYR will be in a cap crunch and have to re-sign to guys with pedigree, who are underperforming their draft slots. To MIN, Boldy/Rossi are the most valuable pieces in their organization. They're facing an impending cap armageddon (Parise and Suter buyouts) and really have no other option to field a competitive team besides filling out the roster with ELC players.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder if Minnesota would look at this year as being their "last hurrah" of sorts before getting into cap hell.

Trade for Miller and go for it this year. They'd have him under contract for one more after, could look at moving on from Fiala for a cheap younger player. Use Miller as their number one center.

(Definitely makes more sense for them to hold onto cheap prospects to play during their cap hell but maybe they say eff it and go for it this year, give their fans something to hold on to. )

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I wonder if Minnesota would look at this year as being their "last hurrah" of sorts before getting into cap hell.

Trade for Miller and go for it this year. They'd have him under contract for one more after, could look at moving on from Fiala for a cheap younger player. Use Miller as their number one center.

(Definitely makes more sense for them to hold onto cheap prospects to play during their cap hell but maybe they say eff it and go for it this year, give their fans something to hold on to. )

I think Minny's plan has been to use Boldy/Rossi/Wallstedt ELC's to get through the 6.7mm, 7.3mm, 7.3mm buyout penalties starting next year. Boldy's ELC has started so it'll be up by the final 7.3MM year, but Rossi could slide and Wallstedt's hasnt started yet.

So if you're trading one of the big ELC guys you better have things mapped out clearly to navigate the obstacles.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I think Boeser and Miller are both gone at the deadline.

I wonder what the Canucks could get at the deadline if they offered the entire Highmore/Lammiko/Motte line as a package? With retention on Motte? Maybe a 1st + a B prospect? I'd do it.

I wonder if Dallas would have interest in Tyler Myers as a Klingberg replacement. Myers and a minor sweetener for like, Khudobin or something? Khudobin would be a pricey backup for Demko for a year but the Canucks still come out ahead capwise.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I don't think what they've done under their current management group would indicate that a "last hurrah" strategy is in the cards. Despite being a very good team last season as well, they didn't really do anything to "go for it" in the playoffs. They didn't sacrifice any draft or prospect capital in the offseason, instead preferring to use their 1st rounder to select their long-term goalie of the future. And rather than make a significant addition in free agency (or trade), Guerin mostly added some cheap/value additions to round out the roster.

It looks like Guerin is planning for the long-term. They'll need their ELC guys on the roster to get through the Suter/Parise cap crunch.

Reactions: m9

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I think Boeser and Miller are both gone at the deadline.

I wonder what the Canucks could get at the deadline if they offered the entire Highmore/Lammiko/Motte line as a package? With retention on Motte? Maybe a 1st + a B prospect? I'd do it.

I wonder if Dallas would have interest in Tyler Myers as a Klingberg replacement. Myers and a minor sweetener for like, Khudobin or something? Khudobin would be a pricey backup for Demko for a year but the Canucks still come out ahead capwise.

I don’t like these trades Sam I am

no point trading any of the 4th line

we don’t need anymore expensive backups, bargain bin shopping for that position

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I’d honestly avoid trading Miller for a dman prospect if it’s not full value.

I’d 110% target Laf OR Kakko in a Miller deal and avoid Schneider. Honestly not that impressed by him. Boeser can then be moved for a dman or we just draft dmen.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Adding Khudobin at the expense of Myers effectively gives us a backup with a negative cap hit. Doesn't get much more bargain basement than that :)

I suppose

But his cap spade is addition but he will need replacement and that will be in the form of overpayment free agents

call me crazy I don’t hate Myers

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This is further out, but I just noticed that Jordan Staal is a UFA after next season - wonder if he's a potential name they have pencilled in as a short-term stop gap for moving on from Horvat & Miller. Obviously a Rutherford connection there, but I'd also think Carolina will be inclined to walk from him with guys like Necas/Jarvis needing contracts and to keep more important players like Trochek/Nino/Pesce.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Looking at teams aside from NYR/Minnesota which seem to be the most rumoured, Anton Lundell (FLA) would be a very nice centerpiece coming back for Miller. Cole Perfetti (WPG) is another - although they've been bad recently and probably aren't in a position to be going for it this year.

Both teams have attractive additional pieces too, in Tippett and Heinola, respectively.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I know there’s been a lot of buzz surrounding Miller, but I think Boeser is the first big decision staring management in the face. He’s on a 23G/21A pace over 82 games this season and has a $7.5m QO. Do the Canucks hang onto him hoping this is an off year? Or do they move him to create cap flexibility going forward?

If the Canucks can get anything of value for off loading deals such as Myers, OEL, Dickinson, Pearson, etc - that would be amazing. But understandably the guys drawing most interest are the ones on reasonable contracts (Miller and Schenn for example)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I know there’s been a lot of buzz surrounding Miller, but I think Boeser is the first big decision staring management in the face. He’s on a 23G/21A pace over 82 games this season and has a $7.5m QO. Do the Canucks hang onto him hoping this is an off year? Or do they move him to create cap flexibility going forward?

If the Canucks can get anything of value for off loading deals such as Myers, OEL, Dickinson, Pearson, etc - that would be amazing. But understandably the guys drawing most interest are the ones on reasonable contracts (Miller and Schenn for example)

I would rather overpay to keep Miller than give Boeser 7.5M at this point.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
J.T Miller for Nikolaj Ehlers is something I would look at. Ehlers has been in trade rumors before and looks like he could be falling out of order over there. Gives us the speed JR is looking for and couple years younger.

This is the type of trade that needs to be made for Miller not two B level prospects and late first round picks type package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad