Fanatics signs 10 year deal to be uniform supplier of NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can
You can make an educated guess.

Fantatics' track record of products is bad. The quality is typically trash. Often they don't even look "right".

Yeah, people are allowed to have an opinion on that.
They haven't made any official jerseys yet minus the ones they did for MLB. And the ones they did with MLB are actually nicer than the Nike ones

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
mainstream brand

snother nhl executive
Lol that's your response? You must be too young to remember how bad ESPN was at the end the first time they had contract. They were good for a few years then they put the NHL on the back burner. The only really good thing about this contract is ESPN+ and the ability to watch out of market games.

Did having Gatorade as a sponsor really do anything outside of bringing money sponsorship money in? No it didn't. Having BioSteel is still bringing in that sponsorship money, saving teams some money by not having to buy it like they have been for years and helping them gain attention as a company.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Fanatics gear is total dogshit, and that's just the actual wearable stuff. Their site is completely overloaded with low-quality garbage items that no one would ever buy, and they have about 12 stock items that they slap individual team logos on that have the look of a rushed highschool project. The NHL is so stupid and backwards that they are not only going with a bargain-bin monopolist as their partner, but they've signed a 10-year deal, which gives Fanatics very little incentive to improve and earn the future partnership. Looking forward to the day that a number falls off of a player's jersey in-game or a game has to be postponed because a shipment of New York Canucks jerseys were sent to Chicago instead of Winnipeg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Doesn't bother me a bit. I have a Reebok jersey from god knows how long ago, 15 years maybe, and just got a Fanatics Winter Classic jersey this season. Can I see and feel a difference between the Fanatics and Adidas jerseys on a store rack? Yup. Is it really that big of a difference to justify the extra 50 bucks for something I can really only wear to a hockey game? Nope.

Not a big deal.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
FrIowD1WAAETEuq.jpg

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll take it if they start tweaking the jerseys every year like in soccer and basketball.

Tired of the same shit.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I am gutted by this.

The NFL, NBA & MLB all have Nike and was praying for some Nike NHL jersey's but we instead go from Adidas to Fanatics for 10 years..??

Such a backwards step to a company that has a reputation with poor quality.

Such a shame.
Still better than cas ore

95Tal

Jan 15, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Fanatics already had a deal with the NHL, so not surprised they got the inside track for this rubbish. I am just glad it is not Nike, they would've been the absolute worse.

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but it looks like Fanatics makes Nike's gear for other leagues. I wonder what the perceived quality is of those "Nike" uniforms:

"For example, Nike is the official outfitter of Major League Baseball, but Fanatics has made MLB's Nike-branded uniforms for all 30 teams since 2017, when it acquired Majestic. In total, Fanatics makes close to 100,000 MLB uniforms each season. Fanatics also makes authentic NFL jerseys that carry a Nike logo, which are sold online and in stores."

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I guess my pitch to the league was denied. My plans were to make them in my basement using items purchased at Salvation Army thrift stores. Recycled, sustainable, unique and with the byproduct of helping the homeless. My bid projected each jersey to cost $1.43. I guess Fanatics underbid me.

Reactions: JKG33

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I don't know if this was already mentioned, but it looks like Fanatics makes Nike's gear for other leagues. I wonder what the perceived quality is of those "Nike" uniforms:

"For example, Nike is the official outfitter of Major League Baseball, but Fanatics has made MLB's Nike-branded uniforms for all 30 teams since 2017, when it acquired Majestic. In total, Fanatics makes close to 100,000 MLB uniforms each season. Fanatics also makes authentic NFL jerseys that carry a Nike logo, which are sold online and in stores."

I have an MLB one that I bought this year and the quality seems ok but then again this is the first MLB jersey I've bought that wasn't a Chinese knockoff.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
People seem upset but their gear isn't that bad. I keep hearing how it rips and shreds apart but I've not experienced it. Maybe it's just the jerseys...

I own well over 20 Fanatics jerseys and have had no issues with them at all. In fact, I prefer the way they fit to any others I've ever worn. I think the one concern I have is design. Adidas is bonkers good on the design side. I don't believe Fanatics has any track record of jersey design, so that might be very interesting.

Either way, the outcry over Fanatics quality is based on them being the jersey replica provider in the Twitter age. Nobody does a good job at anything anymore... of course. I haven't bought anything from them except jerseys, so for anything else I have no basis.

Reactions: DoyleG

FrontYardSpecial

Jan 22, 2014

Fanatics bought the Majestic sportswear manufacturing company after Majestic lost their contract to make the on-field MLB jerseys to Nike. My understanding is the on-field “Nike” MLB jerseys manufactured by Fanatics are basically the same as the old on-field Majestic jerseys (specs, materials, etc.) made in the same factory, they just have the Nike swoosh sewn on them instead.

From: Fanatics buys Majestic months after winning deal to replace it as MLB partner

Sounds like Fanatics is making a similar move here. The NHL press release states that the on-ice Fanatics jerseys will continue to be made in the same Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec factory that the on-ice Adidas jerseys are made in (IIRC it’s also the same factory that the on-ice Reebok jerseys were made in). It goes on to say that Fanatics will continue to use the same specs for players and even some of the same fabrics, at least at first.

So I expect to see the Fanatics logo replace the Adidas logo on the back of sweaters… and that’s about it initially. Just curious what the retail options are moving forward, because I don’t find the current Fanatics replica jerseys desirable at all. The Adidas retail “authentic” jerseys (made in Indonesia) are better. I’m hopeful the made in Canada jerseys are available at retail again, because they’re great.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Why do I care that NHL jerseys which I like to collect, are now going to be made by a piece of shit company with shit quality ? Because I'll no longer be able to purchase jerseys of the player/team I support ?
But when they switched to Adidas they were bad designs. The worst news to me is there's no design change until 26-27 when plenty teams have had terrible worse collars or tweaks since that happened.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

“ we love fanatics we think there great at everything they do “

Hahahahahaha

This jersey contract is a microcosm of Gary Bettman's NHL. You've got a dollar store tier jersey and merchandise supplier while the other 3 leagues have Nike. You've got a team playing in a 5000 seat arena that refuses to meet the cap floor. A playoff format where seeding is largely irrelevant. This is what I'd expect from the WNBA or some shit, not an alleged member of the "big 4." Yet somehow theres morons that come out and say this turd is good for the game of hockey.

I hate Goodell (as any NFL fan should), but this type of bush league shit would never happen in his league.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
This jersey contract is a microcosm of Gary Bettman's NHL. You've got a dollar store tier jersey and merchandise supplier while the other 3 leagues have Nike. You've got a team playing in a 5000 seat arena that refuses to meet the cap floor. A playoff format where seeding is largely irrelevant. This is what I'd expect from the WNBA or some shit, not an alleged member of the "big 4." Yet somehow theres morons that come out and say this turd is good for the game of hockey.

I hate Goodell (as any NFL fan should), but this type of bush league shit would never happen in his league.
Other leagues have the players in commercials nhl players have none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad