Fall 2024-2025 Line up

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They’re going to sign older overpriced UFAs, win the off-season championship, sell jerseys of these old timers, have a good season, finish third in the Atlantic, one of the UFAs will be unavailable during the playoffs, and they’ll be the 10th-16th best playoff team.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think it would be a bigger gamble keeping those picks and prospects and hoping they turn into the stars they want to trade for anyway.

Like those 2027 and 2028 picks, for example, are no good to win before the Matthews contract expires. The objective is to fill in the team around the stars already on it. Not hope these long shot picks and prospects turn into those players.

The fans have been so conditioned for failure they still want to build for the future even though the opportunity to win it all is now.

I'm never against spending assets to supplement the roster while they're in their window of contention... but your current proposal pretty much limits us to win in 2024/25 season or we're done. We want to set the team up to win throughout Matthews contract which means you have to be mindful of players contracts for the next few years.

If we did what you suggested the last few years we'd probably be in the same position we are right now with no Knies or Cowan and we'd be in an even worse cap crunch then we are currently in and having no chance of building a team round Matthews for the rest of his contract.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Unfortunately, we will run it back with the core 4. Treliving wants to see what Berube can get out of the guys. My guess for line-up predictions

Bertuzzi - Mathews - Domi
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Laughton - Nylander
Trenin - Dewar - Reaves/Holmberg

Reilly - Pesce
Benoit - McCabe
Dillon - Liljegren

Woll
That’s pretty much the exact same lineup minus Robertson, Brodie and Edmunson and adding Laughton, Pesce and Dillon.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm never against spending assets to supplement the roster while they're in their window of contention... but your current proposal pretty much limits us to win in 2024/25 season or we're done. We want to set the team up to win throughout Matthews contract which means you have to be mindful of players contracts for the next few years.

If we did what you suggested the last few years we'd probably be in the same position we are right now with no Knies or Cowan and we'd be in an even worse cap crunch then we are currently in and having no chance of building a team round Matthews for the rest of his contract.

How would it be only one year?

All those players I suggested are signed long term. Assuming Bertuzzi and Domi are signed long term this summer that's the entire core plus more. As for those chumps that need signing next year?

Just let one of them walk and use his salary to pay the raises for the rest of the them.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Roster discussion for next year seems grossly uninteresting. Culture change is the term I'd rather hear, and it involves atleast the captain and an A being off the team as far as leadership goes if anything's gonna change. Like if they're just running another rendition of the core-4 + pawn shop squad who honestly gives a f***?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Roster discussion for next year seems grossly uninteresting. Culture change is the term I'd rather hear, and it involves atleast the captain and an A being off the team as far as leadership goes if anything's gonna change. Like if they're just running another rendition of the core-4 + pawn shop squad who honestly gives a f***?
I’m with you, until major changes in personal and culture are made it really doesn’t matter.
There are lots of questions to be answered over the next few months

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I hope that we can move Marner, number of scenarios that I wouldn’t mind according some outlets. One with Seattle. Wright gets a fresh start, replaces JT as our number two. JT could also go to LW to help out.

Trade with Seattle. Wright, Larsson, 1st 2025

Trade Robertson, Timmins, and either McCabe or Liljegren. Prefer trading McCabe as he will want a lot of money and on a SC team he is a third pairing. Plus we need a puck mover on each pairing. Based on my rough estimates we should have enough if we sign or trade for a better goalie but I’m inclined to see what we have in Woll, Hildebeast and Akhtiamov

Bertuzzi AM Knies
Cowan Wright Nylander
Minten JT McMann
Jarnkrok Kampf Greboykin

Skeji Pesce
Reilly Larsson
Benoit Liljegren/McCabe

Woll
Talbot

Main offseason musts are Pesce, and ideally another high end D. Use that upfront money to lure players. NMC are off the table unless sever discounts are being applied.

Minten may not be ready so we need some cap flexibility to potentially sign a third line winger/C. I’d love Foegele but suspect after the monster year he had he might be too pricey.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
-- AM --
-- -- WN
-- JT --
-- -- --

-- --
-- --
-- --

--
Woll

Ok I did it. How does she look?

Reactions: TMLife17

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Knies - Matthews - domi
Roberston - Kadri - Mcmann
Cowan - Minten - Nylander
Dewar - holmberg - reavo

McCabe - Hamilton
Rielly - boosh
Weber - Benoit

Markstrom
Woll

JT @ 50% + 1st + 4th for Kadri + Markstrom
Marner for D Hamilton

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Knies - Matthews - (Bertuzzi/Domi)
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Holmberg - Dewar
McMann - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Reaves
Abruzzese

Rielly - Hronek
McCabe - (DeMelo/Roy/Walker)
Benoit - (Lybushkin/Edmundson) 1 year only
Timmins

Woll
(Nedeljkovic/Brossoit) 1 year only

Marner + Liljegren
for
Hronek + Mikheyev + prospect Raty + pick

Next summer

- Tavares, McCabe, new 3rd pair D, new GK leave as UFAs
- dump Jarnkrok's final year for future considerations
- Cowan/Minten replace Jarnkrok (top 6, Robertson Dewar move to lower lines)

- sign a top 6 C/W to a 1 or 2 year deal. Somebody cheap-ish
- look at trading Kampf for a player with a 1 year contract
- sign GK (ideally, Woll is a starter, sign 1 year backup, Hildeby in 2026)
- Replace + upgrade McCabe with a high quality UFA
- The 1 year stop-gap 3rd pair D leaving is replaced by Niemela

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Based on the team's recent history of being pretty conservative, I wouldn't be surprised if they bring back almost the entire forward group other than likely trading Kampf, and adding to the defense and goaltending with the money freed up from letting Brodie and Samsonov go.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Jarnkrok for a 5th
Kampf for a 6th
Marner to Nashville for Saros and Matthew Wood (expediate next waive of ELC players)
Sign Domi and Bertuzzi to matching 4.5 x 4
Leafs 2024 first and Robertson to Vegas for Theodore. They need cap relief and to restock.

In UFA
sign Montour 6.5x7
sign Dokota Joshua 4x4
sign Dewar to 1.5x2 extension
sign Edmundson 2x3

This roster has about a million in cap space and is hard to play against in all areas while balancing offense and defense

QoLsuYf.png

Defense still needs work and arguably 3rd line C might need an upgrade but the roster is pretty good. Tavares coming off the books lets them do more.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Jarnkrok for a 5th
Kampf for a 6th
Marner to Nashville for Saros and Matthew Wood (expediate next waive of ELC players)
Sign Domi and Bertuzzi to matching 4.5 x 4
Leafs 2024 first and Robertson to Vegas for Theodore. They need cap relief and to restock.

In UFA
sign Montour 6.5x7
sign Dokota Joshua 4x4
sign Dewar to 1.5x2 extension
sign Edmundson 2x3

This roster has about a million in cap space and is hard to play against in all areas while balancing offense and defense

QoLsuYf.png

Defense still needs work and arguably 3rd line C might need an upgrade but the roster is pretty good. Tavares coming off the books lets them do more.
So the year after we have 11M to cover a 2C, a 3C, and Saros, Theodore, and McCabe raises? I also think you're light on the Montour offer.

While running a 21 man roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1