Player Discussion Fabian Lysell

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I agree with you but I think it only becomes a kid line if the kids are just too damn good and that's unlikely. I don't consider Brazeau a "kid".

I think Poitras to Providence to start the year might be the best plan. Unless he's absolutely brilliant in camp and preseason he's the youngest and could benefit from more seasoning. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be on the roster end of the year either, but unless Lysell sucks in preseason I think he needs a real chance to show if he belongs or doesn't. Maybe the same for Merkulov.
I don't consider Brazeau a kid either. But I do consider him too much of a defensive liability and therefore wouldn't want him playing regular shifts with the kids.

Reactions: Blowfish

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
You realize this is kind of where he is at as a AHL player right? He hasn’t shown anything to this point to suggest he can play nhl hockey, hoping he puts up 40 points is a bit optimistic I think
He has 87 points in 110 AHL games. A pace of 65 per 82 game season and that's at age 19 and 20. He's much more than a 40 point AHL player.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I don't consider Brazeau a kid either. But I do consider him too much of a defensive liability and therefore wouldn't want him playing regular shifts with the kids.
I don't see him as all that much of a defensive liability. He's slow, but he's a puck possession guy and is very good net front and down low in the corners. Geekie's solid 2 way so you combine those 2 guys with a speedy scorer and you just might get some solid line chemistry.

If, by some chance, we have 2 of the kids step up, well then Brazeau might end up riding the pine and/or being in and out of the line up like JVR was but that'll be a luxury dilemma I can live with.

Reactions: HustleB

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think the Bruins could really use his creativity and puck skills in the lineup. Already have lots of guys to beat the puck around and be where they're supposed to be most of the time. If he can create some scoring chances playing on a 3rd line that could prove more valuable than what some other possibilities would add.

Reactions: PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think the Bruins could really use his creativity and puck skills in the lineup. Already have lots of guys to beat the puck around and be where they're supposed to be most of the time. If he can create some scoring chances playing on a 3rd line that could prove more valuable than what some other possibilities would add.

I agree. He steps in and is immediately the Bruins fastest skater and arguably in the top 3 in terms of puck skills. He just needs to figure out how to put all that together while sharpening his will and drive if he's to make it in this league. If he can do that, I think he easily replaces DeBrusk's presence as the speedy 2nd line scoring option for the Bruins who can put up 40/50 points.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I agree. He steps in and is immediately the Bruins fastest skater and arguably in the top 3 in terms of puck skills. He just needs to figure out how to put all that together while sharpening his will and drive if he's to make it in this league. If he can do that, I think he easily replaces DeBrusk's presence as the speedy 2nd line scoring option for the Bruins who can put up 40/50 points.
In a vacuum I agree he has the skill to put up 40/50 pts on the second line. My concern is he will get targeted and hurt and not be able to play out the full season ...haven't watched him in the AHL but how is his evasiveness for getting hit?

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Watched the Black and Gold podcast today, 2 of the 3 hosts get it with Lysell, he has to prove himself and not be handed a job. His lack of maturity is discussed which I agree with, as is his decision to not come to Boston for the summer and stay in Sweden. The more I hear about Lysell the more I believe that the old axiom " all the tools but no toolbox" is ringing true.

As much as I am sure Sweeney wants his pick to make the team his commitment and mental game seem to be putting his career on a career minor leaguer or European league player. Too bad, they could use his speed in the top 9 but not his attitude.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Watched the Black and Gold podcast today, 2 of the 3 hosts get it with Lysell, he has to prove himself and not be handed a job. His lack of maturity is discussed which I agree with, as is his decision to not come to Boston for the summer and stay in Sweden. The more I hear about Lysell the more I believe that the old axiom " all the tools but no toolbox" is ringing true.

As much as I am sure Sweeney wants his pick to make the team his commitment and mental game seem to be putting his career on a career minor leaguer or European league player. Too bad, they could use his speed in the top 9 but not his attitude.
To be fair to Fabian, I first mentioned it on that podcast at the end of last season that I would like for Fabian to stay in Boston with Bruins doctors (because of his concussion) trainers, coaches and nutritionists. I think they took it too far this time.

Reactions: Fenian24

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

Is it attitude or maturity ?

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Is it attitude or maturity ?
Both probably, hopefully if he matures the attitude will improve and he realizes he needs to be a professional and commit himself, on and off the ice, to being an NHL player.

I don't think you can question his speed but he needs to use his teammates, not try to beat multiple defenders by himself and not be selfish. He can be a very good middle six player, it really is up to him.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I believe if you give that time to Frederic he will put up better numbers than DeBrusk did. To me that leaves Brazeau/Johnson/Lysell/Geekie battling for 3rd line RW. I would go Geekie, Brazeau, Lysell, Johnson in that order for who I would look to take that spot
I don’t disagree (much) with your assessment, but who is your LW with Frederic sliding to right?

None of those four…

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I don’t disagree (much) with your assessment, but who is your LW with Frederic sliding to right?

None of those four…
Give Jones a look there? Maybe Beecher at LW? I would rather see the top 6 with as much scoring as possible than spread it out to the 3rd and 4th lines

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Give Jones a look there? Maybe Beecher at LW? I would rather see the top 6 with as much scoring as possible than spread it out to the 3rd and 4th lines
You see, normally I’d agree.

But I don’t think that’s how this roster is built.

In terms of scoring, I think we have a top line… and then another two. Either of which could be the stronger unit on any given night. Both are going to have be effective throughout the year or the Bruins are going to have a lot of trouble scoring.

And even if one disagrees with that statement (I won’t expound unless poked to do so), the dropoff on 2/3LW from Frederic to Beecher or Jones is far more severe than the difference between Geekie and Frederic on 2/3 RW.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You see, normally I’d agree.

But I don’t think that’s how this roster is built.

In terms of scoring, I think we have a top line… and then another two. Either of which could be the stronger unit on any given night. Both are going to have be effective throughout the year or the Bruins are going to have a lot of trouble scoring.

And even if one disagrees with that statement (I won’t expound unless poked to do so), the dropoff on 2/3LW from Frederic to Beecher or Jones is far more severe than the difference between Geekie and Frederic on 2/3 RW.
If Poitras is 3C I don’t think they put Beecher or Lysell or Brazeau with him. That line has Frederic and Geekie written all over it.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If Poitras is 3C I don’t think they put Beecher or Lysell or Brazeau with him. That line has Frederic and Geekie written all over it.
same

That’s where I want to go

Zacha- Lindholm- Pastrnak

Marchand - Coyle - Lysell

Frederic- Poitras- Geekie

Love to see it break that way

We will find out/ he’s accountable and skilled - not a bad base

Just saw 2 months how the Patriots would be a train wreck and go 0-17 by multiple people

Well they won’t beat the Lions 0-16

Opinions flushed down the toilet

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
same

Just saw 2 months how the Patriots would be a train wreck and go 0-17 by multiple people

If the Brazeau we saw last season was for real, I think he would be a better fit on the 2nd line than Lysell. Marchand & Coyle like to have the puck and hold on to it. Lysell needs to have the puck to be effective. Brazeau doesn't.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
same

Let me be clear I am not rooting against Lysell, the need the production he may be able to provide, if he is as lazy and uncommitted as some are saying then I will not be a fan. Right now I hope he gets his game together and grows up. Some players mature, others become Ryan Spooner and waste their talent.

I would much rather see Lysell produce 50 points a year here than begin a tour of lower level European leagues.

Oh and the Seahawks will obliterate the Pats next Sunday, won't ever make up Super Bowl XLIX but would still be nice for a Seahawk fan in Patriots land.

Reactions: DKH

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Let me be clear I am not rooting against Lysell, the need the production he may be able to provide, if he is as lazy and uncommitted as some are saying then I will not be a fan. Right now I hope he gets his game together and grows up. Some players mature, others become Ryan Spooner and waste their talent.

I would much rather see Lysell produce 50 points a year here than begin a tour of lower level European leagues.
You keep attaching adjectives to him that aren’t true though. No one has ever called him lazy - even his biggest detractors in Divver and Haggs. You have a vendetta about him and it appears you really haven’t actually watched him play, or else your criticisms of him would be different. Listen to the second set of Mougenel comments to the press and not just the first one.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Oh and the Seahawks will obliterate the Pats next Sunday, won't ever make up Super Bowl XLIX but would still be nice for a Seahawk fan in Patriots land.
Kenneth Walker who I stared at as the seconds ticked down to take in FF and didn’t left with an abdominal strain (ouch)

Aside - I really like their second back as well so not a guaranteed killer if Walker out but would hurt

Seahawks just a pretty solid team

As for Lysell I’m excited for him

Playmaker wing I like

Gotta go 63 and 13

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If the Brazeau we saw last season was for real, I think he would be a better fit on the 2nd line than Lysell. Marchand & Coyle like to have the puck and hold on to it. Lysell needs to have the puck to be effective. Brazeau doesn't.
Good observation

Lysell maybe works stylistically with Geekie & Fred and that would not be good for Poitras

Bottom line

Very excited for this camp lot of presents under tree

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good observation

Lysell maybe works stylistically with Geekie & Fred and that would not be good for Poitras

Bottom line

Very excited for this camp lot of presents under tree
I wish we'd throw Geekie or Fredric an extension because their numbers could go way up next summer.

That said we have so many options for the third line I'm not counting out the new guys with size we added that didn't work out in their old organizations.

Adding a legit #1 center so everyone can either shift down or like Zacha to the wing is going to fix a lot of problems up front.

Reactions: Fenian24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad