FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Why would you do that?

Vermette is everything Bozak is supposed to be. He has 18pts (Bozak has 24pts) despite playing with Boedkar and Doan, 2 vastly inferior linemates to JVR and Kessel.

Management needs to realize which player is playing above their heads and make the decision before his value goes down.

member 147413

I like the idea of Vermette and Z.Michalek or Bogo

Who would we move though? I mean Gardiner or Franson (I think Gards is more likely at this point) and I hope not Kadri or Holland, but if we're looking at C depth, you'd think someone is on their way out. Also, our cap situation...

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Vermette is a marginally better Bozak, both are criminally underrated though

Leafs dont need forwards right now, they need an upgrade at D, Gardiner for Bogo is intriguing both are not quite lighting the world on fire and Bogo fits the leafs depth better

I am sure peg fans would feel you would need to add

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Hate to do it, but during the 2nd intermission, Dave Nonis and his goatee confirmed my post earlier today. Of course I will continue to get exhausting hate mail but when the GM themselves nearly confirms word for word my post not 8 hours later.. I hope it slows some down!

The team is scouring current struggling teams for depth up the middle and a minute eating vet defender.

A few good players were pointed out prior, amongst were Sekera, Michalek and Vermette.

A few other dark horse names I am going to suggest are; Zach Bogosian, Matt Hendricks, Mark Letestu and Jan Hejda pending on team positions after the trade freeze or at the time of the deadline.

The UFA's in the group (Sekera, Michalek, Vermette, Letestu and Hejda) would make a lot of sense. They could fit any one of them in under the cap, assuming the other team was open to salary retention and none of the contracts complicate things for next year.

I'm not a fan of Hendricks on his contract. The extra couple years of term at around 2M would scare me off. He doesn't bring enough offensively.

Bogosian would be a good fit. But, It would take more shuffling under the cap and the price to acquire would be the most expensive. Gardiner + for Bogosian would make sense as the base of a deal.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Bogosian would be a good fit. But, It would take more shuffling under the cap and the price to acquire would be the most expensive. Gardiner + for Bogosian would make sense as the base of a deal.

It would be worth it and this team would be better off in the long run.

We are going to be running with this core, might as well surround it with proper talent(i.e upgrade our top pairing and #1 C)

If Franson is willing to resign then yes, do Gardiner+3rd or prospect for Bogo, as IMO Rielly alone makes Gardiner expendable and Percy will be just as good. But Bogo himself can play like a #2 at times, which is difficult to find.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Vermette is a marginally better Bozak, both are criminally underrated though

Leafs dont need forwards right now, they need an upgrade at D, Gardiner for Bogo is intriguing both are not quite lighting the world on fire and Bogo fits the leafs depth better

I am sure peg fans would feel you would need to add

that add would definitely be minor, Bogo is definitely better(but not massively) but has injury issues and a higher cap hit.

it would be Gardiner+3rd or Gardiner+b-prospect(I.e an Ashton or Kozun or someone who can give them depth).

Gardiner can be dominant at times, but seems to be a bit of a project right now, and you also have Franson, Rielly and Phaneuf who already bring solid offence, and then Percy who's very near ready for a full-time spot next year but also plays a smarter defensive game. We need a big mobile all-around d-man like Bogo, maybe the peg needs more of a dominant OFD like Gardiner can be?

Last edited:

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Sell high on Bozak and include Gardiner in a package for Eric Staal. If by some hope we can get them to include Sekera, that would really solidify our defense.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Sell high on Bozak and include Gardiner in a package for Eric Staal. If by some hope we can get them to include Sekera, that would really solidify our defense.

This notion of acquiring Staal for futures deserves all of my no :shakehead. The last thing we need to do is move more young talent for NHL stars entering the declining part of their careers. Selling high on Bozak is what I hope we do. Same with Franson

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
How about gardiner,Reimer to edmonton for perron and Petry

lupul to anaheim for their first

4th rounder to Buffalo for neuvirth

How would Ana fit Lupul under their cap? Gardiner and Reimer wont entice Edmonton to move Perron, they need a 2way #2 C and a top 4 2way D. Reimer and Gardiner aren't much of an upgrade over what they have, it will probably make them worse by moving out more reliable players in Perron and Petry. Halak was moved for a fourth doesnt mean Neuvirth will. Otherwise why would Edm trade us Perron for Reimer when they could Neuvirth for a late pick?

Last edited:

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
that add would definitely be minor, Bogo is definitely better(but not massively) but has injury issues and a higher cap hit.

it would be Gardiner+3rd or Gardiner+b-prospect(I.e an Ashton or Kozun or someone who can give them depth).

Gardiner can be dominant at times, but seems to be a bit of a project right now, and you also have Franson, Rielly and Phaneuf who already bring solid offence, and then Percy who's very near ready for a full-time spot next year but also plays a smarter defensive game. We need a big mobile all-around d-man like Bogo, maybe the peg needs more of a dominant OFD like Gardiner can be?

Gardiner has a higher Cap Hit than Bogo IIRC. Gardiner is like 4.25 vs Bogo's 4.0. I like Bogo a lot, he has size, and speed. Maybe not as good at reading the ice as the vets mentioned (Sekera esp. but also Michalek) but he has the ability to put up 30-40 pts with a good point shot, he has done it a few seasons back. I think it might cost more than Gardiner and a 3rd, but I would definitely be interested in negotiation. What needs does the 'Peg have?

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Where can we send Phaneuf in the off season 2016 and what can we actually acquire? It will be 7x5 after that year, ain't bad at all. I am in the boat that we have to make some room for Loov, Percy on left side. Move Gardiner and Lupul this off season or trade deadline and Phaneuf a year later.

With cap going high and top quality defenseman will be commanding 9+ contract like Phaneuf is gonna be blessings to other team. We just have too many LHDs and we can afford to move him in 2 seasons, considering Rielly will be ready to take that top pairing role in 2 seasons. Percy/Loov might fill 2nd and 3rd pairing by that time too. Also Valiev is now added to the race as well, just too many options on LHD and they will be cheap replacements.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
it's funny. People went from hating on Bozak, to saying we need to get rid of him because he is playing well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

At this point, Staal isn't much of an upgrade, if at all, over Bozak.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Phaneuf and Kadri - 9.9
for
O'Reilly and Johnson - 9.6

Leafs get younger in both positions

Kadri is going to get a raise, and this way Leafs can re-sign Franson.

I don't see us trading anything but Gardiner for picks/prospects. They have absolutely zero need for Kadri they have no winger depth whatsoever and we on the other hand are better keeping Kadri.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Phaneuf and Kadri - 9.9
for

Im a big fan of O'Reilly and Johnson so I would do it. Kadri and O'reilly are a wash to me, Kadri's defensive game has improved and he is the better offensive player, but O'Reilly still has the better defensive game and is younger. Johnson is a similar player to Phaneuf but has a lower cap hit and plays the right side. I could also understand though why some Leafs fans would consider it a lateral move or be against the trade though if they like our pieces better.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Phaneuf and Kadri - 9.9
for

I don't see the incentive for COL as they need wingers not C. I would guess they counter with JVR instead of Kadri.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Where can we send Phaneuf in the off season 2016 and what can we actually acquire? It will be 7x5 after that year, ain't bad at all. I am in the boat that we have to make some room for Loov, Percy on left side. Move Gardiner and Lupul this off season or trade deadline and Phaneuf a year later.

With cap going high and top quality defenseman will be commanding 9+ contract like Phaneuf is gonna be blessings to other team. We just have too many LHDs and we can afford to move him in 2 seasons, considering Rielly will be ready to take that top pairing role in 2 seasons. Percy/Loov might fill 2nd and 3rd pairing by that time too. Also Valiev is now added to the race as well, just too many options on LHD and they will be cheap replacements.

I think we will have to wait and see that development from Reilly or Gardiner before we move Phaneuf. Reilly could hit a wall or take longer developing to a top pairing player than we think. Besides, we have a lot of depth on the left side but not a lot of the kind of game that Phaneuf brings. Reilly, Gardiner, Valiev (saw him play when he came back from injury and I think he is going to be a Leaf for sure) Finn, Percy, etc are mostly classified as puck movers with a range of defensive responsibility. None of them bring that size and strength that Phaneuf does. Phaneuf will be important to hold onto until we know he can be replaced internally or via trade.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Phaneuf and Kadri - 9.9
for

Personally I see Kadri as being much better than ROR who is only a few months younger. The swap of EJ for Phaneuf would be marginal at best but would save cap. ROR would still be making more than Kadri even after his raise and Colorado would have no use for Kadri with Duchene and MacK already down the middle. If you want to get EJ out of Colorado in such a deal it would have to be JVR+ Phaneuf for this package +

member 147413

Phaneuf and Kadri - 9.9
for

Kadri's raise will be less then ROR's cap hit. As much as I dislike Phaneuf, EJ would struggle a lot with the minutes Phaneuf gets.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Personally I see Kadri as being much better than ROR who is only a few months younger. The swap of EJ for Phaneuf would be marginal at best but would save cap. ROR would still be making more than Kadri even after his raise and Colorado would have no use for Kadri with Duchene and MacK already down the middle. If you want to get EJ out of Colorado in such a deal it would have to be JVR+ Phaneuf for this package +

Kadri's raise will be less then ROR's cap hit. As much as I dislike Phaneuf, EJ would struggle a lot with the minutes Phaneuf gets.

Perhaps the Avs are missing Stastny? So why would the move O'Rielly?

Phaneuf plays less minutes(seconds actually) than Johnson. So no more workload involved here.

Combined Kadri and Phaneuf will be making about 12 next year, O'Rielly and Johnson 9.6. Give a raise to Franson and double Bernier's, and check out the Cap.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Are you sure about that? Sekera's a #2 D coming off a +40 pt season and he's what 28? I don't see how Gards gets more. Maybe not if he's UFA though.. ?

Previous Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1781405

Extensions are a thing.

The fact that it won't be a guarantee that he re-signs makes the deal far from enticing. I don't see how it's an amazing deal when you consider the risk of him leaving.

These days, the chances of a player re-signing are much greater than a player leaving.

You work out the details of a deal, get permission to talk to the agent, gauge interest in player signing/work out a new contract then and there. Complete deal.

Sekera is exactly the type of player we need on our team. Gardiner is the type we need to move away from.

Agreed. The prerequisites are: 1. the team has the cap room; and, 2. does its due diligence.

Sekera is the better, proven 2-way defender ....... He would instantly become the #2 defender on the team ....... IMHO of course.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Chuck have you heard Hanzal's name at all?

he's at the right age to fit with the current core and really adds to the forward group
size down the middle and a true faceoff winner.

he'd be a great long term piece if they want to go with this core

I like Vermette too but don't see the long term fit there in the same sense as Hanzal

I suggested something around Gardiner + for Hanzal and Michalek

But maybe do two deals

Franson + for Hanzal
Gardiner+ for a RHD like Bogo

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'd trade Franson and keep Robidas. Franson is hot now, but who knows what we get from him later or after this year. Too much of a risk to keep around. I wouldn't be against a deal to acquire Bogo however.

:leafs
Zach Bogosian

:jets
Jake Gardiner
Carter Ashton (or approximately equal valued prospect)

I think essentially a one-for-one deal is fair. I would be totally for this type of deal.

Phaneuf-Bogosian
Rielly-Polak
Percy-Robidas

That's a solid defense core. If Polak and Robidas aren't working, we can easily move on in the short term (unlike Franson who we may be stuck with for 5-6 years if he doesn't live up to his potential) and we have guys like Granberg and Nilsson who look good for a future bottom 4 right-hand spots (Nilsson can easily replace Robidas and Granberg can do well in replacing Polak). Bogosian provides a long term top 2 or top 4 right-handed option.

It would also work for Winnipeg, who could use a left-handed defenseman like Gardiner.

Not convinced Gardiner gets us Bogosian. I'd probably do it though.

Me neither. The add on our part would have to be more substantial than Ashton for the Jets to squeeze the trigger. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad