Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Elias Lindholm 7.5 x 7
Swayman 7.5 x 8
Ullmark & Lysell for Necas 6.5 x 5 (resign Debrusk if not)
Brenden Dillon 3 x 2
Brandon Duhaime 1.5 x 3
Jakub Vrana 800k x 1

Vrana Zacha Pastrnak
Marchand Lindholm Necas (Debrusk)
Frederic Coyle Geekie
Duhaime Beecher Brazeau
Lauko

Lohrei McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Dillon Peeke
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Bussi

Good mix of talent and toughness.
We would have to clear out a small bit of money to make this work.
These moves give us no wiggle room to add anyone at the deadline or during the regular season.
Not a fan of Vrana or Duhaime.
Necas would be a great add.
I would prefer to try Necas at Center.
You left Potsy off the roster.
Want nothing to do with a 7 year contract with EL at 7.5 million per year.
In 11 seasons EL has scored more than 64 points twice.
Years 5/6/7 will be ugly if we gave him 7.5 a year x 7.
I am in favor of giving him more money and a much shorter term....8-8.5 x 3.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
They really missed Nosek last year, if they can get Goodrow for under Geekie money just for faceoffs and the PK I would be more than OK with it. Beecher is a little too mistake prone and a little too inconsistent to hold down that spot, they can't go through that mess again where Beecher can't be the center but takes all the draws for another center who is hopeless at faceoffs.
Fair.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
For clarification, Zadorov is 100% not a top pairing D. The hold-up here in Vancouver is that they don't want to pay that much for a bottom pairing guy. In the playoffs he elevated to second pairing but Bruins fans would HATE his defensive game as a top pair. Perhaps he plays well with Carlo on the 2nd pairing as Lohrei develops but I'd much rather spend the $6,000,000 on top six help than a middle-man D.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Again, I have to do my due diligence, but from afar, Laine gives pause.

100%. If he didn't give pause, he'd be the $8,700,000 money in my mind. This is one of those 'I wish we had taken Boeser for free, let alone retained' situations where many teams would say what you are saying and then one team (cough, Florida, cough) gives them a chance and they eliminate the Bruins.

This has the Masterton Trophy written all over it and 'Viking Line' feel to it.

We always talk about the culture in Boston and hear about it. This is a chance to bring in a guy who still has one of the best shots in the NHL and help him find a home for the first time in his NHL career.

I still remember my own demons at 26. This guy has been through it all and wants a fresh start. Boston wants primary scoring cheap.

All bets are off at $8,700,000 but for $5,000,000 or less, sign me up for Laine over all the UFA's on the wings (Guentzel at 9+ scares the hell out of me) and Reinhart will be even more.

Reactions: Kegs and GordonHowe

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It's hilarious. It's like the Bruins are the early 80's Islanders and nobody is good enough for this team.

It’s an interesting dynamic for sure. Especially when the people coming in here shooting down everyone else’s suggestions refuse to suggest who they think the bruins should bring in.

No issues with people not liking players, but how can they hate every suggestion.

Also seems to be quite the overlap of people who are willing to overpay to retain bruins but hate every proposed move for non bruins

I digress though because I guess technically running it back exactly the same is a possibility even thought insanely unlikely.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I knew I knew who this guy was.

Whatever one thinks of Wheeler and Scheifele, to have similar problems with two separate organizations is a No Way Jose proposition for me.

Perplexity says,

is patrick laine a locker room cancer​

Sources
Report: Patrik Laine Revealed Reason for Leaving Winnipeg
novacapsfans.com favicon

novacapsfans
·

Patrik Laine wants out of Columbus, what does that mean for the ...
jetsnation.ca favicon

jetsnation
·

Does anyone know why people are calling Wheeler "locker room ...
reddit.com favicon

reddit
·

youtube.com favicon

capfriendly.com favicon

View 2 more

Answer
Patrick Laine has been labeled as a "locker room cancer" by some due to reported conflicts and issues he had with teammates and management during his time with the Winnipeg Jets and Columbus Blue Jackets.

Winnipeg Jets Tenure​

According to reports, Laine had a strained relationship with Jets leaders like Blake Wheeler and Mark Scheifele, who allegedly treated him rudely and talked behind his back in the locker room. This alleged rift with core players is speculated to be one of the reasons Laine wanted out of Winnipeg, leading to his trade to Columbus in 2021.

Columbus Blue Jackets Tenure​

Laine's tenure in Columbus has also been marred by locker room issues. In June 2024, it was reported that Laine had requested a trade out of Columbus, potentially due to more conflicts within the team's locker room environment. While the specific details are not fully known, the recurring narrative of Laine clashing with teammates and wanting out of organizations has led to him being labeled as a potential "locker room cancer" by some fans and analysts.
. However, it's important to note that these are speculative claims, and the full context of the situations is not entirely clear from the outside.

Ultimately, whether Laine is truly a disruptive presence or simply a player who has had difficulty fitting into certain team cultures is up for debate. But the persistent rumors and his desire to leave multiple organizations have contributed to the perception of him as a potential locker room issue.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Well, I did say for $1M or whatever fine. But he’ll get more than that, so this is all moot, no?
Not really sure but there is always one GM that will overpay I would imagine. He’s
It’s an interesting dynamic for sure. Especially when the people coming in here shooting down everyone else’s suggestions refuse to suggest who they think the bruins should bring in.

No issues with people not liking players, but how can they hate every suggestion.

Also seems to be quite the overlap of people who are willing to overpay to retain bruins but hate every proposed move for non bruins

I digress though because I guess technically running it back exactly the same is a possibility even thought insanely unlikely.
the makings if a great politician. Have no opinions on record while simultaneously telling everyone else they are stupid

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not really sure but there is always one GM that will overpay I would imagine. He’s

the makings if a great politician. Have no opinions on record while simultaneously telling everyone else they are stupid
Jesus Christ Lou. Come on.

I hardly said anyone was stupid about Goodrow. I didn’t quote any analytics. And I even equivocated about a $1M salary. What’s the angst for?

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Jesus Christ Lou. Come on.

I hardly said anyone was stupid about Goodrow. I didn’t quote any analytics. And I even equivocated about a $1M salary. What’s the angst for?
Wait a second I was commenting about the not liking anyone post by Rico I don’t think he was talking about you it was towards the Lindholm guy I believe earlier do you have him blocked?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I knew I knew who this guy was.

Whatever one thinks of Wheeler and Scheifele, to have similar problems with two separate organizations is a No Way Jose proposition for me.

Perplexity says,

is patrick laine a locker room cancer​

Sources
Report: Patrik Laine Revealed Reason for Leaving Winnipeg
novacapsfans.com favicon
novacapsfans
·
Patrik Laine wants out of Columbus, what does that mean for the ...
jetsnation.ca favicon
jetsnation
·
Does anyone know why people are calling Wheeler "locker room ...
reddit.com favicon
reddit
·
youtube.com favicon

capfriendly.com favicon

View 2 more

Answer
Patrick Laine has been labeled as a "locker room cancer" by some due to reported conflicts and issues he had with teammates and management during his time with the Winnipeg Jets and Columbus Blue Jackets.

Winnipeg Jets Tenure​

According to reports, Laine had a strained relationship with Jets leaders like Blake Wheeler and Mark Scheifele, who allegedly treated him rudely and talked behind his back in the locker room. This alleged rift with core players is speculated to be one of the reasons Laine wanted out of Winnipeg, leading to his trade to Columbus in 2021.

Columbus Blue Jackets Tenure​

Laine's tenure in Columbus has also been marred by locker room issues. In June 2024, it was reported that Laine had requested a trade out of Columbus, potentially due to more conflicts within the team's locker room environment. While the specific details are not fully known, the recurring narrative of Laine clashing with teammates and wanting out of organizations has led to him being labeled as a potential "locker room cancer" by some fans and analysts.
. However, it's important to note that these are speculative claims, and the full context of the situations is not entirely clear from the outside.

Ultimately, whether Laine is truly a disruptive presence or simply a player who has had difficulty fitting into certain team cultures is up for debate. But the persistent rumors and his desire to leave multiple organizations have contributed to the perception of him as a potential locker room issue.

Not sure how Laine is labeled a locker room cancer. In WPG he wasn't the issue, it was the leaders of the locker room who had an issue with him (and not for anything he was doing wrong). I quickly tried to find something for his time in Columbus and the only thing that popped up in my quick search was when he was benched for "verbally disrespecting" a coach.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The Laine situation is kind of interesting. No doubt there's 30-40 goal talent there, but I'm not convinced he gets it. Could it pay off? Absolutely, but I honestly have zero idea what to think of him at this stage of his career.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
If I am Columbus I am not eating 4m in cap for 2 years to move Laine to Boston.

I'd look to a place like Chicago(who they already have a history with ie Jones trade) who wouldn't need retention. See if playing with Bedard motivates him.

And as a Boston fan I'm not interested in the cost it would take to convince CLB to retain almost 4m for the chance that Laine doesn't play like a bum.

Bad idea. Doesn't seem like a lot of thought was put into it.

Wow Lou isn’t God

You clearly haven't met the girls Lou grew up around.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Wait a second I was commenting about the not liking anyone post by Rico I don’t think he was talking about you it was towards the Lindholm guy I believe earlier do you have him blocked?
No worries

I'd look to a place like Chicago(who they already have a history with ie Jones trade) who wouldn't need retention. See if playing with Bedard motivates him.

And as a Boston fan I'm not interested in the cost it would take to convince CLB to retain almost 4m for the chance that Laine doesn't play like a bum.

Feels like Utah, considering how much they need to add just to get to the floor. Chicago also a decent possibility for sure.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
100%. If he didn't give pause, he'd be the $8,700,000 money in my mind. This is one of those 'I wish we had taken Boeser for free, let alone retained' situations where many teams would say what you are saying and then one team (cough, Florida, cough) gives them a chance and they eliminate the Bruins.

This has the Masterton Trophy written all over it and 'Viking Line' feel to it.

We always talk about the culture in Boston and hear about it. This is a chance to bring in a guy who still has one of the best shots in the NHL and help him find a home for the first time in his NHL career.

I still remember my own demons at 26. This guy has been through it all and wants a fresh start. Boston wants primary scoring cheap.

All bets are off at $8,700,000 but for $5,000,000 or less, sign me up for Laine over all the UFA's on the wings (Guentzel at 9+ scares the hell out of me) and Reinhart will be even more.
Everyone deserves a second chance. But two in a row is a red flag, never mind three or four.

It's also the case that many teams think they can rehab a player with issues, and learn to their sorrow that they cannot.

Maybe you take a flyer for 5 million or less. And maybe Brad and the boys can rectify the situation.

But who needs the pain in the ass and the uncertainty? Not me.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Everyone deserves a second chance. But two in a row is a red flag, never mind three or four.

It's also the case that many teams think they can rehab a player with issues, and learn to their sorrow that they cannot.

Maybe you take a flyer for 5 million or less. And maybe Brad and the boys can rectify the situation.

But who needs the pain in the ass and the uncertainty? Not me.
The Bruins need top six scoring badly enough to take on the bolded for me.

You clearly haven't met the girls Lou grew up around.
It would cost the assets you got from the Ullmark trade. Thought was actually put into it as well as conversations with CLB fans and Mods. Cheers.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The Bruins need top six scoring badly enough to take on the bolded for me.

It would cost the assets you got from the Ullmark trade. Thought was actually put into it as well as conversations with CLB fans and Mods. Cheers.

Goalies don't return a lot. And so that little return would not be enough to entice me to eat 4m in dead cap for 2 years. If I am CLB, I move him somewhere without retainment rather than eating salary for a paltry return.

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I like Ehlers, but I’d rather see them not give up assets and sign FA’s first.

If that doesn’t happen, then go the trade route.

Reactions: GordonHowe

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I like Ehlers, but I’d rather see them not give up assets and sign FA’s first.

If that doesn’t happen, then go the trade route.
Issue is a lot of trades happen at the draft, days before FA starts. So you could miss out on possible trades by waiting to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad